Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 120

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: Idzik's first two blemishes

  1. #61
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    You have to roll the dice with qbs in draft and hope for the best.. Outside of luck/rg3 there are no sure things.. Look how many top 10 qbs have been busts past ten years? #1's overall - Russell, smith.. Can add Sanchez to that list.. And we traded up for the buttfumbler so we really lost out.. We lucked out with geno following to the 2nd.. This guy easily could have been the #1 overall pick but that tweet/texting rumor ( lucky for us) cost him big...
    Franchise Qb don't fall out of the top five, if teams think that Qb can be a franchise QB. Not one single team thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB. Now Could he develop into one. Without a doubt. Drafting Qb's is a crap shoot unless you get lucky and have a chance to draft a premier talent. Manning, Luck, RG111)


    The Point being Qb needy teams always seem to try and elevate Qb that have no business going that early, much early than they should. That reaching usually turns out to be a mistake. That didn't happen this year(outside of the Bills) every teams took a chance on a QB much later in the draft.(risk isn't as great)

    If Jets thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB(had no doubts they don't pass on him twice in the first round.
    Like I alluded to one of these Qbs drafted this year, will probably turn out to be a top Qb. Which Qb that becomes is anyone guess at this point.

  2. #62
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Franchise Qb don't fall out of the top five, if teams think that Qb can be a franchise QB. Not one single team thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB. Now Could he develop into one. Without a doubt. Drafting Qb's is a crap shoot unless you get lucky and have a chance to draft a premier talent. Manning, Luck, RG111)


    The Point being Qb needy teams always seem to try and elevate Qb that have no business going that early, much early than they should. That reaching usually turns out to be a mistake. That didn't happen this year(outside of the Bills) every teams took a chance on a QB much later in the draft.(risk isn't as great)

    If Jets thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB(had no doubts they don't pass on him twice in the first round.
    Like I alluded to one of these Qbs drafted this year, will probably turn out to be a top Qb. Which Qb that becomes is anyone guess at this point.
    So by your logic, no franchise qbs have ever been drafted outside the top 5?

  3. #63
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    So by your logic, no franchise qbs have ever been drafted outside the top 5?
    I think he meant teams that needed a QB really bad wouldn't let a QB slip out of the top 5 if they had the pick to take him..

  4. #64
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think he meant teams that needed a QB really bad wouldn't let a QB slip out of the top 5 if they had the pick to take him..
    Gotcha...my reading comprehension is less than stellar today. My apologies Raider.

  5. #65
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Franchise Qb don't fall out of the top five, if teams think that Qb can be a franchise QB. Not one single team thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB. Now Could he develop into one. Without a doubt. Drafting Qb's is a crap shoot unless you get lucky and have a chance to draft a premier talent. Manning, Luck, RG111)


    The Point being Qb needy teams always seem to try and elevate Qb that have no business going that early, much early than they should. That reaching usually turns out to be a mistake. That didn't happen this year(outside of the Bills) every teams took a chance on a QB much later in the draft.(risk isn't as great)

    If Jets thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB(had no doubts they don't pass on him twice in the first round.
    Like I alluded to one of these Qbs drafted this year, will probably turn out to be a top Qb. Which Qb that becomes is anyone guess at this point.
    How you doin raider?

    Yet again complete and utter garbage on your part, Brady and Rodgers are a few names that spring to mind of a franchise QB droppin out of the top 5.

    When do franchise QB's go? Number 1 overall alla-Jamarcus. You are in no position to talk logic about the QB position considering you made the worst trade in nfl history for one, and have Tyler Wilson and Matt Flynn as your future.

    Your just looking for an excuse to trash Geno because your scared the jets could be onto a winner. Not all teams that passed on him needed a QB and he was a nailed on top ten talent in January.

    Teams that passed also included the bills who reached for a franchise QB more than the jets, what would your opinion be if the jets had made that selection?
    Last edited by Harrier; 05-19-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: M

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Franchise QBs haven't been seen on the Basement Bertha Raidaz in multiple decades. ..including the bust they drafted at ONE and the washed up USC bust they traded away 97 high draft picks to the Bengals to get

  7. #67
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Franchise QBs haven't been seen on the Basement Bertha Raidaz in multiple decades. ..including the bust they drafted at ONE and the washed up USC bust they traded away 97 high draft picks to the Bengals to get

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Franchise QBs haven't been seen on the Basement Bertha Raidaz in multiple decades. ..including the bust they drafted at ONE and the washed up USC bust they traded away 97 high draft picks to the Bengals to get
    Flynn, doe. Wilson, doe. Cribbs, doe.


  9. #69
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Flynn, doe. Wilson, doe. Cribbs, doe.


  10. #70
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We said we wanted a veteran QB to push Sanchez and step in if needed. We have not achieved that goal.

    We said we needed a pass-catching RB to replace LT's production. We have not achieved that goal.

    We did not draft or secure a pass-catching TE.

    We are committing to the WCO with worse weapons than last year. It's unacceptable.

    SAR I
    SAR,

    I usually agree with most of what you say. I am a lurker who enjoys your posts and I think what you say usually makes a lot of sense, especially when it comes to Mark Sanchez.

    That being said. I think your jumping the gun about a between QB, pass catching RB and an effective TE. Yes, the Garard and Goodson pickups have failed, but who knew this was going to happen. Lets see what happens after training camp cuts. I am almost sure there may be some decent options out there.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    I wished this jackass would have been fired. You know it was killing him not being able to spew his negativity about the Jets.
    Agreed! I am getting very tired of Cimini.

  12. #72
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given what Idzik has done since he got here - cut a slew of veterans, some fan favourites, and traded away our best player, plus drafted D in the first round when people were mainly screaming about the O - I think it's a pretty positive sign that these are the only two issues he's getting heat for.

  13. #73
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    If Cimini's sources are to be believed, there was SOME cause for concern. I am not saying the Jets shouldn't have signed him, but his reputation wasn't that of a chorus boy either:
    It's the NFL. If you avoid all players with reputation issues than you will have a hard time fielding a team. Remember when we passed on Dan Marino and Warren Sapp because of character issues?

  14. #74
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    How you doin raider?

    Yet again complete and utter garbage on your part, Brady and Rodgers are a few names that spring to mind of a franchise QB droppin out of the top 5.

    When do franchise QB's go? Number 1 overall alla-Jamarcus. You are in no position to talk logic about the QB position considering you made the worst trade in nfl history for one, and have Tyler Wilson and Matt Flynn as your future.

    Your just looking for an excuse to trash Geno because your scared the jets could be onto a winner. Not all teams that passed on him needed a QB and he was a nailed on top ten talent in January.

    Teams that passed also included the bills who reached for a franchise QB more than the jets, what would your opinion be if the jets had made that selection?
    It helps if you read statements in context. Here is what Harrier said:

    Franchise Qb don't fall out of the top five, if teams think that Qb can be a franchise QB.
    That last part is a qualifying phrase. It's rather obvious that NO teams in the NFL thought that Brady was a "franchise QB", otherwise, he wouldn't have gone as late in the draft as he did.

    Similarly, teams questioned whether Aaron Rodgers would be a "franchise QB" which is why he fell as far as he did as well.

  15. #75
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    So by your logic, no franchise qbs have ever been drafted outside the top 5?
    LOL at using the word logic and "raidersfan" in the same sentence.

  16. #76
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    How are people defending 90210's post?? He said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Franchise Qb don't fall out of the top five, if teams think that Qb can be a franchise QB. Not one single team thought Geno Smith was a franchise QB. Now Could he develop into one. Without a doubt. Drafting Qb's is a crap shoot unless you get lucky and have a chance to draft a premier talent. Manning, Luck, RG111)
    In one sentence, he says they get taken top 5 if teams think he can be a franchise QB. Then, he says "but he could develop into one".

    Huh??

    Look, the higher a QB (or any position) is taken, the more confidence a team has that that player will be good. Smith was taken in the 2nd, so there are doubts about him. Everyone knows that. We'll just have to see what happens. And if he's a bust, it's much less of a setback than wasting a 1st round pick on a bust...

  17. #77
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    It helps if you read statements in context. Here is what Harrier said:



    That last part is a qualifying phrase. It's rather obvious that NO teams in the NFL thought that Brady was a "franchise QB", otherwise, he wouldn't have gone as late in the draft as he did.

    Similarly, teams questioned whether Aaron Rodgers would be a "franchise QB" which is why he fell as far as he did as well.
    I take everything Raider says with a pinch of salt, I skim-read all he has to say.

    My Brady and Rodgers point was just because multiple teams pass on you, it does not mean their evaluation is accurate.

    My response was a general reply to the whole point of raiders post, it just came across as a pointless post to discredit the Geno selection.

    To be honest I think the Geno pick has ruffled some feathers in NFL circles, people don't want to accept we may have got a franchise QB for an absolute steal.

  18. #78
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Only solution to SCHTICK I's thread derailing trolling

    ignore function
    Oh the ironing

  19. #79
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    How are people defending 90210's post?? He said:



    In one sentence, he says they get taken top 5 if teams think he can be a franchise QB. Then, he says "but he could develop into one".

    Huh??

    Look, the higher a QB (or any position) is taken, the more confidence a team has that that player will be good. Smith was taken in the 2nd, so there are doubts about him. Everyone knows that. We'll just have to see what happens. And if he's a bust, it's much less of a setback than wasting a 1st round pick on a bust...

    You pretty much just answered your own question. IF guys are perceived to be true "Franchise QBs", they get taken very early and teams often trade up for them. Guys that get taken later and in the next couple of rounds are seen as "good" QBs who teams believe might have a chance to develop into "franchise QBs".

    This isn't to say that guys taken in later rounds (or perhaps not even drafted) won't become franchise QBs, ala Brady and Kurt Warner.

  20. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    How're things in Omaha?

    GO BEEF

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us