Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith says he got 'in trouble' with Jets for playoff guarantee following draft select

Smith says he got 'in trouble' with Jets for playoff guarantee following draft select

Apparently, bold proclamations are reserved for coach Rex Ryan.
    Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith says he was reprimanded for guaranteeing a playoff berth in his first interview after being drafted by Gang Green in the second round last month. That, he promised, will be his last Joe Namath moment, though The Post dubbed him Broadway Geno on the front page following his selection by the Jets.
    “I’ve already gotten in trouble for saying some things about playoffs and things, which I don’t regret,” Smith said Sunday on Sirius XM Radio. “I don’t think I’ll go as far as being as bold as Joe was.”
    Smith has already been somewhat of a victim of New York media. He fired his agents after the draft and his constant texting during interviews drew the ire of some critics. Smith called the scrutiny here “eye opening” and that the press created a “diva” perception of him to generate headlines.
    "I don’t think I’m a bad guy," he said. "I don't think I'm some of the things they try to make me out to be. It's a part of the media. The one thing that I understand is you can't take it personally. Those guys have jobs and the key to their jobs is to sell papers and to keep the fans looking. So they're going to spin things and try to make an interesting story out of something that may not be so interesting."
    Smith will compete for the starting quarterback job with incumbent Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms. This week, David Garrard, another quarterback, retired before ever taking a snap with the Jets due to a bad knee.

Read more: Smith says he got 'in trouble' with Jets for playoff guarantee following draft selection http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz2Tmd7uuJU

Really couldn't care less. He said something off the cuff in the most exciting moment of his life. Wow, talk about groundbreaking ****.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Really couldn't care less. He said something off the cuff in the most exciting moment of his life. Wow, talk about groundbreaking ****.
    +1

What do you want the guy to say?

"After a few 6-10 seasons, we should rack up some good draft choices and compete for the #6 Wildcard for a one and done."

Seriously?

"He fired his agents after the draft and his constant texting during interviews drew the ire of some critics."

Never proven, denied by Geno and this dckweed states it as a fact. Did Mehalfwita join the Post?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    "He fired his agents after the draft and his constant texting during interviews drew the ire of some critics."

Never proven, denied by Geno and this dckweed states it as a fact. Did Mehalfwita join the Post?
    What do you expect? Journalistic integrity?

Hall Of Fame
    We forget these kids are 21 years old but at the same time much is given to them so much is expected. Judging by some of his more recent interviews I think he is learning how to handle himself around the media.

Now just go out there and win the job kid.

Is it possible he texted during an interview? Sure, but let's remember that we have also found out that these scouts and gms have asked questions like "is your mother a prostitute?" So I will take anything that comes out of the process with a grain of salt.

I remember when this team passed on marino because of rumors about his character.

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith says he was reprimanded for guaranteeing a playoff berth in his first interview after being drafted by Gang Green in the second round last month. That, he promised, will be his last Joe Namath moment, though The Post dubbed him Broadway Geno on the front page following his selection by the Jets.
    “I’ve already gotten in trouble for saying some things about playoffs and things, which I don’t regret,” Smith said Sunday on Sirius XM Radio. “I don’t think I’ll go as far as being as bold as Joe was.”
    Smith has already been somewhat of a victim of New York media. He fired his agents after the draft and his constant texting during interviews drew the ire of some critics. Smith called the scrutiny here “eye opening” and that the press created a “diva” perception of him to generate headlines.
    "I don’t think I’m a bad guy," he said. "I don't think I'm some of the things they try to make me out to be. It's a part of the media. The one thing that I understand is you can't take it personally. Those guys have jobs and the key to their jobs is to sell papers and to keep the fans looking. So they're going to spin things and try to make an interesting story out of something that may not be so interesting."
    Smith will compete for the starting quarterback job with incumbent Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms. This week, David Garrard, another quarterback, retired before ever taking a snap with the Jets due to a bad knee.

Read more: Smith says he got 'in trouble' with Jets for playoff guarantee following draft selection http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz2Tmd7uuJU
    That is an impressive response from a 22 yr old rookie

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    He is a quick learner. Hopefully he can pick up an NFL offense just as quick.

Jets Insider VIP
    The more I hear from him the more impressed I am also.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Is it possible he texted during an interview? Sure, but let's remember that we have also found out that these scouts and gms have asked questions like "is your mother a prostitute?" So I will take anything that comes out of the process with a grain of salt.

I remember when this team passed on marino because of rumors about his character.
    But we can get a pass on that because he never won the big one - LOL

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The more I hear from him the more impressed I am also.
    I heard the whole interview on NFL Radio this afternoon. I was really really impressed. I can't find a link to it anywhere and I don't think XM radio does any podcasts.

If anyone can find and post I would recommend listening to the whole thing. I think this kid is going to much better handling himself then anyone can imagine.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Idzik/coaches said when they "reprimanded" him over the playoff comments.

the new front office is trying hard to change the perception of the team, the last thing they want is the media pestering Geno over a meaningless playoff "guarantee."

Veteran
    The thing I got from this and from other comments Geno made is he's looking past Sanchez as if he has assurance that the starting job is already his to lose.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    He said he feels his team can make the playoffs....what do you want him to say? "I don't think we will make the playoffs". I just do not understand why people blow everything a player says out of proportion. NFL players are some of the most competitive athletes on the planet. The goal is to win..the jets have had one losing season in the last 5 years yet idiots act as though they have been one of the worst teams the past decade. The goal is to win...this is a new team with a new attitude. Only a complete FOOL would have an issue with a player who assumes he and his team will win.

Hall Of Fame
    I also read the interview and what he said can in NO way be compared to what Namath said....Smith even stated that in the other interview.

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post

To be honest I had a "head in hands" moment when he said what he did, just because I knew the media would jump all over it.

He's confident in his abilities, and that's how natural leaders should think. His presence on the field will elevate those around him, for whatever reason Sanchez's demeanour brings everybody down.

Hall Of Fame
    quite true about the demeanor of sanchez.....you would think that with being a veteran he would at least try and change that side....as a qb you are supposed to be the leader of the offense and when something goes wrong, you pout. If I am another player regardless if I play defense or offense, I would find it disheartening to see my QB act as if he has no confidence. Sanchez from the outset did not deserve to be drafted as high as he did after only one year as a college starter. Please go back and look at sanchez one year at USC...it was more about him playing with NFL caliber players...he just did not exactly stand out to me. When sanchez was drafted I always felt he would be mediocre at best and he was just that even in his first two seasons...he is who he is. We have yet to see about smith, but I feel a bit more comfortable after seeing him start THREE years in college...he has the intelligence and physical tools to be a very good QB. Having Marty M as an OC also does not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    To be honest I had a "head in hands" moment when he said what he did, just because I knew the media would jump all over it.

He's confident in his abilities, and that's how natural leaders should think. His presence on the field will elevate those around him, for whatever reason Sanchez's demeanour brings everybody down.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    He said he feels his team can make the playoffs....what do you want him to say? "I don't think we will make the playoffs". I just do not understand why people blow everything a player says out of proportion. NFL players are some of the most competitive athletes on the planet. The goal is to win..the jets have had one losing season in the last 5 years yet idiots act as though they have been one of the worst teams the past decade. The goal is to win...this is a new team with a new attitude. Only a complete FOOL would have an issue with a player who assumes he and his team will win.
    "You play to win the game"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    +1

What do you want the guy to say?

"After a few 6-10 seasons, we should rack up some good draft choices and compete for the #6 Wildcard for a one and done."

Seriously?
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Media hacks are always looking to make a story out of a non-story.