Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith says he got 'in trouble' with Jets for playoff guarantee following draft select

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We forget these kids are 21 years old but at the same time much is given to them so much is expected. Judging by some of his more recent interviews I think he is learning how to handle himself around the media.

Now just go out there and win the job kid.
    Exactly. It will be his first major hurdle to put all of the crap behind him invented by the media. If he can just forget about this COMPLETELY and just win the starter job. That will be a major feather in his cap. It's about small steps for a young kid just coming into the league.

Such idiots. He never said he got in trouble with the Jets he said he got in trouble period. Obviously refering to the media backlash that came from that statement. He wouldn't have said he doesn't regret it if he got in trouble from the jets for that. This is a disgusting out of contex leap and the author of the article should be ashamed of themselves. Just pure stupidity.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Idzik/coaches said when they "reprimanded" him over the playoff comments.

the new front office is trying hard to change the perception of the team, the last thing they want is the media pestering Geno over a meaningless playoff "guarantee."
    Please, I may have missed it. Where does it say that Idzik or anyone from the Jets reprimanded the kid over anything he said?

I took it as the media jumped on it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Such idiots. He never said he got in trouble with the Jets he said he got in trouble period. Obviously refering to the media backlash that came from that statement. He wouldn't have said he doesn't regret it if he got in trouble from the jets for that. This is a disgusting out of contex leap and the author of the article should be ashamed of themselves. Just pure stupidity.
    In fairness it doesn't say in the article who he was reprimanded by. The headlines are not written by the reporters(which is stupid). I do think the first line of the article is pathetic. Rex hasn't guaranteed anything in a long time. He has been given restrictions on what he should, and shouldn't say from Idzik, but he had already toned himself down.

I like what I've heard from this kid as well. I realize he was an English major, but his use of the language is impressive, and seems natural. Most people try to sound smart during an interview, but struggle to use their vocabulary fluently. His answers are thoughtful, expressive, and precise. I'm impressed. Hopefully he employs the same efficiency in his QBing.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    In fairness it doesn't say in the article who he was reprimanded by. The headlines are not written by the reporters(which is stupid). I do think the first line of the article is pathetic. Rex hasn't guaranteed anything in a long time. He has been given restrictions on what he should, and shouldn't say from Idzik, but he had already toned himself down.

I like what I've heard from this kid as well. I realize he was an English major, but his use of the language is impressive, and seems natural. Most people try to sound smart during an interview, but struggle to use their vocabulary fluently. His answers are thoughtful, expressive, and precise. I'm impressed. Hopefully he employs the same efficiency in his QBing.
    What he actually said was "i've already gotten in trouble for saying some things about playoffs and all that stuff", without any clarification.

If you want to hear the outtake....take a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsport...tm_medium=feed

Jets Insider VIP
    And I fired the guy who mowed my lawn once. Also texted during a boring meeting at work once. I'm evil.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    And I fired the guy who mowed my lawn once. Also texted during a boring meeting at work once. I'm evil.
    Ba$tard!