Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Idzik shutting out the press?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Idzik shutting out the press?

2nd day of OTAs and instead of a 10 page thread of tweets we have a 30 page thread of Goodson speculation! While part of me hopes he is cutting them out and ending the circus, the selfish part of me is screaming for some Jets news. I hate the off season

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I can only pray that this is the case. I would love for the Jets to return to the Parcells way of dealing with the media.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt because you would have heard the whining babies of the New York media crying on twitter by now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here's something from the Jets site:

"
    Before the Jets took the practice field today for their first scheduled Organized Team Activity (OTA), Pro Bowl CB Antonio Cromartie had set the highest of goals for the pass defense.

“We don’t want to give up a catch at all,” Cro told me on a recent “Jets Talk LIVE” installment. “I think when you have that mentality, it carries over a lot going from OTAs into training camp, and then it goes into the games. When you’re not giving up any catches during practice, it makes things a little easier when you can go into the games where you can go out and make those plays.”

The Jets QB competition began in earnest on Monday as Geno Smith was expected to face the Jets defense for the first time in 11-on-11 drills. With David Garrard’s departure, the Green & White now have a four-way battle for the starting spot with Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms and Smith.
    “It doesn’t matter who we have at quarterback — we have to go pick them off,” Cro said of the facing the rookie. “There’s always trash-talking going on — that’s just a part of us being competitive and things like that. There is going to be a lot of trash-talking going on at OTAs leading up to training camp. We’re just looking to go out and have fun, and try to make sure we get each other better.”
    The mantra under first-year GM John Idzik has been competition and that continues to resonate throughout the building.
    “Honestly I approach this offseason like I’m still trying to make the team,” Cromartie said. “I want to make sure I’m pushing myself and pushing others. I think we’re doing a great job from the DB standpoint — we’re all competitive, so everything we do we’re always trying to compete with each other.”
    Four days after trading Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Jets selected most experts’ top all-around CB in the draft in Dee Milliner. While Milliner continues to work his way back from shoulder surgery and isn’t expected to take part in any team drills this spring, Cromartie advises the talented rookie to study up on his responsibilities.
    “If you learn your position, you can play a lot faster and now you can start trying to learn everyone else’s position that’s on the football field,” he said. “Now you know where you’re help is coming from — you understand the defense a lot more. “
    For the past three seasons, Cromartie has crafted his game under Dennis Thurman. Rex Ryan promoted DT to defensive coordinator in the offseason and it is a move Cro enthusiastically supported.
    “I’m very happy for him. I get him out of my face,” he said with a laugh. “He can go to his big office now, but I’m proud of him. Just being around him — this is my fourth season with him — and he’s like a father to me. He knows the ins and outs of playing football. He played it for nine years, so he has a defensive back’s mindset. To me the way he’s going to help out is he knows this defense just as much as Rex does.”
    These OTAs are voluntary sessions and both live contact and one-on-one workouts are prohibited. But the defense continues to stress Ryan and Thurman’s KILL philosophy: Keep It Likeable & Learnable. While Revis’ departure has left an open door for someone else, Cromartie says the defense wants to get back to playing at a level they were at in Ryan and Thurman’s first year with the Jets.
    “Guys were flying around the ball, being aggressive, making plays and causing turnovers,” he said. “I think that’s what we’re expecting from ourselves.”

Some reference to the QB competition being on.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...7-ae0a61058373

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And another on Hill:

Hill Making the Effort to Step Up

Posted 14 hours ago
    Eric Allen Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet ProgrammingEmail @eallenjets On the Inside

As OTAs begin, there is some uncertainty at the wide receiver position for the Jets. Santonio Holmes continues to work his way back from a Lisfranc injury and many people wonder what the Green & White will get out of Stephen Hill in Year 2.

Hill has all the physical traits you would want in a prototypical NFL wideout. The 6’4”, 215-pound Hill possesses 4.3 speed and new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is an aggressive play-caller who will dial up plays down the field.
    “Me and Marty had a lot of conversations, and he’s definitely looking forward to me stepping up,” Hill said.
    Hill made it look easy in his first professional game, becoming the first Jets rookie receiver to record two touchdowns in his NFL Debut and his 89 yards in a trouncing over the Bills also set a rookie record. But Hill, a raw product who was making a transition from a triple option attack at Georgia Tech, only collected 16 more receptions throughout his rookie season. Injuries hampered Hill’s 2012 campaign as he appeared in 11 contests and made eight starts.
    “After I saw the things I was doing out there on the field, I have a lot to clean up,” he said. “A whole lot to clean up, so I’m getting better at that. I’m not going to grade myself now of stepping to the next level, but I’m definitely going to look a lot better — a whole lot better from last year.”
    Hill, who stayed in the area this offseason after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair cartilage in his right knee, believes there are a lot of areas where he can improve.
    “The basics. Route running — making sure I don’t show my route a certain way because these corners are very smart nowadays,” he said. “Any little thing, they’ll just pick it up just that fast. Cro helped me out with that and actually when (Darrelle) Revis was here — they helped me out with that. Telling me as the year went on how I needed to clean up certain things, and also Santonio Holmes he does the same thing especially in the meeting room. What I need to write down, how I need to see certain things and it’s definitely paid off.”
    Just like all his offensive teammates, Hill is learning a new offensive language. Mornhinweg called his West Coast terminology “substantial” and has been happy how his players have embraced the challenge.
    “You have to know one word and you have to know what everybody’s doing,” Hill said. “You have to stay in your playbook — you have to read everything that’s in that playbook. If not, you’re going to be behind.”
    While Hill will catch passes from the Jets’ four quarterbacks out here at OTAs, he actually already gained experience with rookie Geno Smith at the Offense-Defense (OD) High School All-American Bowl in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
    “It was pretty cool. We were actually connecting out there,” Hill said. “He said, ‘It’s pretty crazy that we got on the same NFL team.’ We’re definitely trying to make sure that we get this thing rolling, so we can at least be something in the future.”
    Hill, with one pro season under his belt, has been very impressed with Smith’s approach.
    “He takes his game seriously,” said the Georgia Tech alum. “He really does... He’s being a pro, and I love the way he’s taking it.”
    A second-round pick of the Jets in the 2012 draft, Hill just turned 22 in April. The Jets stuck to their board and did not reach for a receiver in the draft. They could elect to add a veteran free agent before training camp, but Hill will be counted on to make a big-time impact in Year 2.
    “He’s a big part of this offense. We need him to step up and having him where he is right now is going to speak volumes,” said CB Antonio Cromartie. “I’m definitely waiting to see how he’s going to be when we go to training camp because he’s coming out to with me to California and we’re going to be working out together.”
    “I’m definitely looking forward to showing my skills especially to the coaches and the GM,” added Hill. “I love the way the GM’s talking. He really wants competition and that’s what we’re definitely going to bring out there.”

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish he would. I would love to see those parasites squrim

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    ...the selfish part of me is screaming for some Jets news.(
    Hence the circus. Unfortunately, they give us exactly what we want and we complain about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like Cro is stepping into the leadership role for us, which is good as he is now clearly our best player with Revis gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Sounds like Cro is stepping into the leadership role for us, which is good as he is now clearly our best player with Revis gone.
    Agree. It's got to be great for Hill to have Cro (and Revis prior) shouting out to him "You just showed me this" and "Now I know you're going to do that".

I never believed QBs were really mentoring QBs because the competition is always there. But having the D showing the O how to fool them makes a lot of sense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    Hence the circus. Unfortunately, they give us exactly what we want and we complain about it.
    I wouldnt call it complaining when everytime I turn on any type of NFL programming and all I hear is a bias commentator saying something negative about the Jets. Especially when I watch the draft and all of the NYJ picks were all followed by the players weakness and tape of his bad plays
    Last edited by FTL Jet Fan; 05-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No one can make up their mind what they want around here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilkerson is our best defensive player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any Jets football news is going to have to come from the Jets site. The scribes that cover the Jets aren't really interested in giving you Jets news, they are much more focused on writing sensational stories about the circus, and throwing the team under the bus.

It's just what they do

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, he has sounded very impressive over the last year or more and seems to have matured.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Wilkerson is our best defensive player.
    2nd best IMO. Cromartie's played at a high level for longer and his 2012 season was better than Wilk's as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen View Post
    Any Jets football news is going to have to come from the Jets site. The scribes that cover the Jets aren't really interested in giving you Jets news, they are much more focused on writing sensational stories about the circus, and throwing the team under the bus.

It's just what they do

Ha! Now that is funny stuff. You do realize that what comes from nyjets.com is called PR, not news, right? That negative stuff you hate to hear.... that's what is called reporting the truth.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    2nd best IMO. Cromartie's played at a high level for longer and his 2012 season was better than Wilk's as well.
    i think this is the year Wilkerson emerges as the Jets' best player. he'll prove to be better than Shaun Ellis ever was. it's his DL now that Pouha and Devito are gone

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Ha! Now that is funny stuff. You do realize that what comes from nyjets.com is called PR, not news, right? That negative stuff you hate to hear.... that's what is called reporting the truth.
    We're all on a messageboard of a team that hasn't won a championship in 40+ years, and currently has more question marks than starters.

Negativity is not the issue.

Its the ridiculous "gossip" like columns that come from your regular tabloid rag columnists.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No one can make up their mind what they want around here.
    The space between Mangini and Rex. That would be a nice place for our relationship with the media to be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no practice today. Second day is tomorrow and that is open to the media.