Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Jump on the Geno Bandwagon

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Jump on the Geno Bandwagon

    I feel different about Geno than I did the last few QBs we drafted.

    I really think Geno may be the franchise guy we always have wanted.

    I feel there is a much different environment for Geno than Sanchez and Clemens:

    • Better OC
    • Better QB coach
    • Better system
    • No sense of entitlement/ chip on shoulder from draft position and media bashing


    Plus, Geno has so much more experience than Sanchez. The reality is that Geno would have been #1 overall if his team did not completely tank the second half of the system. People blamed Geno for that and downgraded him. After 5 games people were talking about him as the type of #1 pik QB everyone hopes to get and I think he will be.

    Not much data here, just a gut feel. I am on the bandwagon who's jumping on with me?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm already on.

  3. #3
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    im a mass hole
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your a optimistic Jet fan then you should just trust the organization and hop on the bandwagon either way.. If the season doesn't go well thats just the way it is, I won't be a pessimist the whole way down.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know what the reasons for not being excited about geno are. he's not andrew luck but he was the best passer in the draft and we got him for a steal with pick 39. people are supposed to be worried because they heard he texted at a team visit? give me a break

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I'd like to know what the reasons for not being excited about geno are. he's not andrew luck but he was the best passer in the draft and we got him for a steal with pick 39. people are supposed to be worried because they heard he texted at a team visit? give me a break
    Absolutely spot on, I would not of complained had we taken him with the 13th pick considering the level of play we got at that position the last three years.

    To get him at 39 is an absolute steal, and one I hope really works out for us for a change.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kellen Clemens couldn't read an NFL defense to save his life and Mark Sanchez doesn't believe in the concept of ball security. Both were ruined early on by Schitthead. Geno has an edge over both of them because he's probably more talented than both of them combined and has a better OC teaching him.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Kellen Clemens couldn't read an NFL defense to save his life and Mark Sanchez doesn't believe in the concept of ball security. Both were ruined early on by Schitthead. Geno has an edge over both of them because he's probably more talented than both of them combined and has a better OC teaching him.


    I think the bold is the MAIN point.


    But I would change "better" with the word "REAL" because Schitty wasn't an OC. He was a JI member masquerading as an OC.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I'd like to know what the reasons for not being excited about geno are. he's not andrew luck but he was the best passer in the draft and we got him for a steal with pick 39. people are supposed to be worried because they heard he texted at a team visit? give me a break
    There were plenty of teams that needed a QB and still didn't jump at the "steal" we did. If their rationale was based on his text addiction then yeah, maybe we lucked out. But I'll wait to see the product on the field before I put the green-colored glasses on . . .

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think we are about to simply waste two or three more years on the wrong g guy. Athletic yes. Franchise qb? I just don't see it.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jump on fast, jump off faster.

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I feel different about Geno than I did the last few QBs we drafted.

    I really think Geno may be the franchise guy we always have wanted.

    I feel there is a much different environment for Geno than Sanchez and Clemens:

    • Better OC
    • Better QB coach
    • Better system
    • No sense of entitlement/ chip on shoulder from draft position and media bashing


    Plus, Geno has so much more experience than Sanchez. The reality is that Geno would have been #1 overall if his team did not completely tank the second half of the system. People blamed Geno for that and downgraded him. After 5 games people were talking about him as the type of #1 pik QB everyone hopes to get and I think he will be.

    Not much data here, just a gut feel. I am on the bandwagon who's jumping on with me?
    I really want to jump on the bandwagon but I canít. Itís just too early. Letís see how Geno does in TC and pre-season. Iím hoping he outperforms and wins the start but he might need some seasoning first. Barring him, Iíd take either MS or McElroy as a place holder for half a season or so depending on if Geno is progressing.

    One way or the other, unless Geno wins the start and is an immediate above average QB with upside potential, I think we keep drafting QBís somewhere in every draft class till we find one. OTOH, our 2014 cap situation will be so good that if a good QB hits the FA market maybe we could buy one. Iíll skin the cat any way I can as long as we eventually get it done.

    Go Geno!

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Main concern I have about Geno is the players they surrounded him with. I have very little faith in this group of receivers and the OL is being rebuilt. You don't want to put a rookie QB in harms way, and I think that the way the Jets are currently constituted, he will not have a good chance of succeeding. How about moving him into the starting position slowly, only after you have surrounded him with the guys he needs to succeed with.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was on it the minute the jets drafted him

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    2,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm rooting like hell for GenoJet to become a great QB for my Jets... but doesn't mean that I'm not rooting like hell for Sanchez too.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I'm rooting like hell for GenoJet to become a great QB for my Jets... but doesn't mean that I'm not rooting like hell for Sanchez too.
    More like rooting FOR hell in the case of Sanchez because that's all he's given us these past few seasons.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bit about him texting is actually impressive.

    He might've thought the meet n' greets were phony and had no interest in those teams anyway.

    It could be the opposite of what they think; he's really a step ahead in maturity.

  17. #17
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not on the bandwagon yet. I guess I've just been a Jets fan too long to get excited over a draft prospect in his first year. I'm not doom and gloom. I really want the new system to work, the new GM to be good, and Rex to be a great HC for the Jets. I'm as excited about this year as any... cautious optimism.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I honestly think we are about to simply waste two or three more years on the wrong g guy. Athletic yes. Franchise qb? I just don't see it.
    What specifically do you think he is lacking?

  19. #19
    Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    What specifically do you think he is lacking?
    Deep ball accuracy?

  20. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    754
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    There were plenty of teams that needed a QB and still didn't jump at the "steal" we did. If their rationale was based on his text addiction then yeah, maybe we lucked out. But I'll wait to see the product on the field before I put the green-colored glasses on . . .
    Teams passing on him doesn't really mean anything. QB needy teams passed on Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco. The Cardinals needed a QB in the worst way and they passed on both Big Ben and Phillip Rivers. Sometimes teams just gamble on the QB position and decide not to take a guy.

    I was happy as hell we got Geno. I think he's gonna be the real deal.

    BTW I don't pay any attention to the whole texting thing. We never head a peep of that til AFTER the Jets drafted him. Funny how we never heard about it beforehand.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us