Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the Numbers with the Marty Mornhinweg Offense

I don't think Sanchez is very good regardless of system. I think if we have a legit comp between Sanchez, McElroy and Smith, Sanchez will be the starter because while he is likely not very good he is likely miles better than McElroy and miles better to be successful in camp than any rookie QB with a few exceptions and Geno is probably not the exception.

I don't support competition at the QB position. If we actually have it Sanchez is the likely starter. Personally I would prefer a veteran starting and Geno taking over at the bye and seeing if he is the guy before next years draft.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I don't think Sanchez is very good regardless of system. I think if we have a legit comp between Sanchez, McElroy and Smith, Sanchez will be the starter because while he is likely not very good he is likely miles better than McElroy and miles better to be successful in camp than any rookie QB with a few exceptions and Geno is probably not the exception.

I don't support competition at the QB position. If we actually have it Sanchez is the likely starter. Personally I would prefer a veteran starting and Geno taking over at the bye and seeing if he is the guy before next years draft.
    I respectfully disagree in that Sanchez is usually just as bad in camp as he is in games. If he starts, it will be because of Rex's usual tendency to play veterans over rookies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Allowing Buttfumble to start would be career suicide for MM and probably the rest of tje FO and CS

No way that is happening ever

In addition Sanchez sucks and probably can't even neat out Simms

[QUOTE=LIJetsFan;4897597]
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post

That brings up an interesting question. Let's say we disappear all 32 starting QB's in the league and plug MS in in their place. Is there anywhere where MS would thrive?
    Lets play the reverse. Let's plug all 32 starters into the Jets offense and offensive gameplan for the past two years. Is there anyone who would thrive ??

Rookie
    [QUOTE=56mehl56;4897918]
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

Lets play the reverse. Let's plug all 32 starters into the Jets offense and offensive gameplan for the past two years. Is there anyone who would thrive ??
    Are you kidding. In 2011 we were 8-5 with MS when he imploded. Anyone else of the top 20 QB's and we're playoff bound. Even 2012 under Sparano we're not eliminated till later in the season. I can't believe you're trying that argument.

[QUOTE=LIJetsFan;4897927]
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post

Are you kidding. In 2011 we were 8-5 with MS when he imploded. Anyone else of the top 20 QB's and we're playoff bound. Even 2012 under Sparano we're not eliminated till later in the season. I can't believe you're trying that argument.
    So in your opinion the onus is strictly on Sanchez. The injuries , the porous Oline, the Holmes fiasco, the complete lack of depth at any skill position on offense, the abysmal offensive gameplan and the failure to abandon the G&P when it clearly was no longer effective. Its amazing this team even sniffed a chance at the playoffs the past two years.

Its easy to simply look at the turnovers and point the blame in one direction. So you believe any top 20 QB would have gotten the Jets to the playoffs the past two years - I say your being pretty myopic in your understanding of the true shortcomings of the "complete" offense workings of the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Not sure which games you were watching, SAR. He is horribly inaccurate and has no touch whatsoever on short passes. Four years are enough to reach this conclusion. Yes, his receivers have not been great but he has made them look truly awful. His completion percentage is remarkably abysmal. Almost unheard of for a starter. While it may be fun to blame everything on the front office (for not supplying him stud receivers), four years of close examination make clear that he is a VERY big part of the problem. In fact, probably the biggest part.
    Doesn't.

Sells all of his "awesome bestest seats ever" and doesn't actually go to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr68 View Post
    That 3rd and 12 draw killed me every time...it was so predictable and rarely worked.

Everyone is talking about a whole new offense....and I agree. However, expect major growing pains from team that has been going through OC's more frequently than some people change their underwear. This is not a tweaking of the offense, this is an overhaul and the players need time to adjust and re learn the plays. So, for that reason, I don't think Sanchez can be the starter. Why break him in and get him used to the new offense just to cut him at the end of the year....both him and Geno face a learning curve, invest the time in your future QB, not a 1 and done....unless they are thinking that Sanchez may be a Jet longer? ugh
    I think expectations are set for a rebuilding season but it will be interesting thanks to the draft, starting with the QB battle in camp

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    I respectfully disagree in that Sanchez is usually just as bad in camp as he is in games. If he starts, it will be because of Rex's usual tendency to play veterans over rookies.
    He does? Coples, MW, KWilson, all played, along with others.

I don't get this comment, its been said of every jets HC . Not a shocker, vets play over rookies. Rookies make more mistakes, it's the way of the league. Not unique to Jet HC's

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

I don't get this comment, its been said of every jets HC . Not a shocker, vets play over rookies. Rookies make more mistakes, it's the way of the league. Not unique to Jet HC's
    Rex started a rookie qb with like 16 starts in college in his first season as our HC. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex started a rookie qb with like 16 starts in college in his first season as our HC. Case closed.
    A QB who ran a pro style offense at USC. Case Open.

schitty is/was a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Nice knowing you Marty. When Brian Schottenheimer had Sanchez throw 59 times in 2011 is was considered the crime of the century by the New York press and a lot of fans.

it doesn't matter if the jets have a wco or spread or whatever if they can't get the safeties off the line. if sanchez doesn't make plays it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    1. For the Jets with our backfield this could very well be the year of the fullback.

2. I think the 3rd and long draw play was just a way to end the series safely since they didn't trust MS to not throw an interception in those situations. The more I think it over the more I expect Geno will earn the start in Mornhinweg's WCO. I suspect McElroy would be a better fit than MS as well.
    Let's just hope Touchdown Tommy loses the t-bo nickname, would be nice to see a late round pick make a difference for a change

Also would prefer to see Geno win the battle but a quick decision playbook with few options could help Mark if he learns how to throw it away on a busted play, his worst mistakes seem to be when he is improvising, he is just not the gunslinger type QB (worked at USC but not in the NFL), maybe a system QB if his brain can be saved... at least he is not the only option, Let the games begin

What I feel this thread is not touching on is our biggest rivals and the team we would undoubtedly go through to win the division whenever we have a good enough team to compete for it - that would be the Patriots.

If there is anyone that defend the WCO and specifically MM's style/spin off of it, it is the Patriots.

I would imagine BB would be talking to the defense about discipline, stay in your lanes and do not get sucked into overpursuit specifically in reference to screen plays. He would also cook up some sort of plan to keep a lot of DB's guarding the field about 5 to 10 yards back from the LOS, likely playing zone. Something that would nullify the effectiveness of MM's WCO.

So I would like to know that out of the same formations that we can still do some 7 step drops and be effective with some timing patterns, some 10 to 15 yard outs that will keep the defense guessing at times.

I want to ask the question (not be very fmiliar with MM's offensive philosophy), historically has MM been effective against the Patsies in the past?

Or specifically when the patsy gets dialed in to what the WCO is doing, can he change things up to break the defense and cause the defense to stay back from the LOS more?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Coples and Demario got much fewer snaps than they should have gotten last year in favor of older, slower vets. Coples, in particular, led the league in preseason sacks for all teams (I know, big wup)and led the Jets in sacks in the regular season but still didn't play as much as some of the older, slower guys. Rex's tendency to hold back rookies is pretty well-established. In some cases it's warranted, others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Patience that what every Jet fan has to have with this offense. This is probably going to be a very rough year as it just takes time for everyone to get comfortable in this offense. New offense. Hopefully this will be the offense going forward.

The worst thing can happen for the Jets is to change head coaches after 2013 and bring in a whole new offense. This offense has good chance to eventually being successful but it just takes time.

I expect Jet offense could be worse than last year but you should start to see big improvements very late in the year. By 2014 I think it's more realistic time for you to start to see some good results from the offense.

Will the jets have patience or will they look look for the quick fix when it doesn't happen overnight for this offense.
    If Rex is fired I fully expect Morhinweg to be named his replacement.

I like the WCO as much as the next fan, but I hope Marty is more like the kind of OC that takes what the defense gives him rather than approaching each game with the same mindset. If a team has quick LB's who can cover well then the WCO isn't so effective against that and you have to switch gears to the running game or the deep ball if their DB's aren't that good.

The WCO is a good offensive strategy to practice, but it doesn't work well against every defense, and I hope Marty is prepared for that and isn't stubborn with his game plans.