Thread: Miguel Mayosonet

Miguel Mayosonet

Would love for the Jets to give this Stony Brook kid a shot.

Eagles to cut RB Miguel Maysonet

POSTED: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 10:52 PM

Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer

The Eagles plan to cut rookie running back Miguel Maysonet, according to an NFL source.

Maysonet, who was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Stony Brook, will be released presumably by Monday once the Eagles sign a replacement. He has not been at organized team activities (OTAs) because of the NFL rule that prohibits rookies that have yet to graduate from practicing with veterans.

Stony Brook doesn't graduate its seniors until next month. Two other Eagles rookies -- second round tight end Zach Ertz (Stanford) and seventh round cornerback Jordan Ponder (Oregon State) -- have also missed OTAs and will sit out the rest of spring practices.

All three participated in a three-day rookie camp from May 10-12.

The 5-foot-9, 209-pound Maysonet ran for nearly 2,000 yards and scored 21 touchdowns as a senior. He topped 1,000 yards and ten touchdowns also in his sophomore and junior seasons. He caught only 18 passes in three season, though.

Maysonet was given an additional $10,000 above the wage scale for undrafted rookies so that he would sign with the Eagles, a source said.

The Eagles are down to five running backs on the current roster. They signed former Cowboys tailback Felix Jones to a one-year deal last week. Matthew Tucker, also undrafted, is the only rookie.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...2QWpfMGxSac.99

Rookie
    "He caught only 18 passes in three season, though."

err...no thanks

Hall Of Fame
    That is a strange rule.

I think the Jets were at his workouts. I am sure he is on the radar since he is a local product. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

err...no thanks
    Hardly what we need in a WCO. But the Jets could give him a try and see if he runs hard enough to merit a place in the rb stable.

He looked great against Pace University.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Jets play Pace this season.

All Pro

err...no thanks
    Does this mean he cant do it or he wasn't asked too?

I wouldn't mind signing him . Clearly were down a RB right now at worst he would be a camp body . Maybe even surprise us like woodhead did.

I live in LI i dont know much about the kid and wont pretend too i know alot of people where high on him. Anyone have a scouting report.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Does this mean he cant do it or he wasn't asked too?

I wouldn't mind signing him . Clearly were down a RB right now at worst he would be a camp body . Maybe even surprise us like woodhead did.

I live in LI i dont know much about the kid and wont pretend too i know alot of people where high on him. Anyone have a scouting report.
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=63069

STRENGTHS - A quick and explosive athlete, Maysonet's ability to change directions fast helps him to make quick cuts. Able to stick a foot in the ground and explosive out of cut lets him make quick cut to burst through hole. Consistently able to maintain a low center of gravity makes it easy for Maysonet to make tacklers miss. A highly competitive runner who keeps his legs churning, he has consistently shown the ability to keep feet versus arm/grab tackles to gain yards after contact. His combination of good playing strength, balance and competitiveness help him run through tacklers who do not wrap up. A real team player, Maysonet displays great intensity and competitiveness on the field, is a team captain and was a consistent special teams contributor at Stony Brook. .

WEAKNESSES - Lacking the size of a feature back and the passing game experience and top hands to excel as a third down back, Maysonet needs to carve out a role in the NFL. Whether due to small hands or technique, he has fumbled the ball more than acceptable and will not last long in the NFL if he does not solve ball security issues. Stony Brook's offense does not throw to their running backs often, so he has not proven that he has the skills to excel doing so and on the few chances he has had he has not shown natural hands. He lacks any real experience as a run blocker and does not have the ideal size to be effective in pass protection.

SUMMARY - After splitting time with another running back as a junior, Maysonet finished his college career with an oustanding senior season. Although he lacks ideal size, his performance in 2012 at least showed that for one season he can handle being a full-time feature back. An instinctive runner who finds hole/crease well, Maysonet can make sharp cut and has an explosive burst through the hole. He runs aggressively with the ball, can run with good pad level and has the strength and balance to run through arm/grab tackles to gain yards after contact. He is sort of stuck between two positions as a "tweener" - Lacks ideal size/bulk to be a feature back in the NFL, but also has little experience and has not shown natural hands in Stony Brook's passing attack. Overall, Maysonet's production and athleticism warrant a fifth round grade, but his "tweener" situation and ball security issues make him more likely to go undrafted. I believe his best role in the NFL is as a backup running back who can spell the starter, but will need to improve his receiving skills to contribute as a third down running back.

I think knowshon Moreno could wind up being waived in Denver now that they have monster ball and would feel very good with him as part of our top 3 backs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think knowshon Moreno could wind up being waived in Denver now that they have monster ball and would feel very good with him as part of our top 3 backs.
    Moreno was a 1st rd pick(12) in 2009 and has worse stats then Greene.. So Greene sucks yet you want a back that is worse?? This board is insane sometimes..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=63069

STRENGTHS - A quick and explosive athlete, Maysonet's ability to change directions fast helps him to make quick cuts. Able to stick a foot in the ground and explosive out of cut lets him make quick cut to burst through hole. Consistently able to maintain a low center of gravity makes it easy for Maysonet to make tacklers miss. A highly competitive runner who keeps his legs churning, he has consistently shown the ability to keep feet versus arm/grab tackles to gain yards after contact. His combination of good playing strength, balance and competitiveness help him run through tacklers who do not wrap up. A real team player, Maysonet displays great intensity and competitiveness on the field, is a team captain and was a consistent special teams contributor at Stony Brook. .

WEAKNESSES - Lacking the size of a feature back and the passing game experience and top hands to excel as a third down back, Maysonet needs to carve out a role in the NFL. Whether due to small hands or technique, he has fumbled the ball more than acceptable and will not last long in the NFL if he does not solve ball security issues. Stony Brook's offense does not throw to their running backs often, so he has not proven that he has the skills to excel doing so and on the few chances he has had he has not shown natural hands. He lacks any real experience as a run blocker and does not have the ideal size to be effective in pass protection.

SUMMARY - After splitting time with another running back as a junior, Maysonet finished his college career with an oustanding senior season. Although he lacks ideal size, his performance in 2012 at least showed that for one season he can handle being a full-time feature back. An instinctive runner who finds hole/crease well, Maysonet can make sharp cut and has an explosive burst through the hole. He runs aggressively with the ball, can run with good pad level and has the strength and balance to run through arm/grab tackles to gain yards after contact. He is sort of stuck between two positions as a "tweener" - Lacks ideal size/bulk to be a feature back in the NFL, but also has little experience and has not shown natural hands in Stony Brook's passing attack. Overall, Maysonet's production and athleticism warrant a fifth round grade, but his "tweener" situation and ball security issues make him more likely to go undrafted. I believe his best role in the NFL is as a backup running back who can spell the starter, but will need to improve his receiving skills to contribute as a third down running back.
    I saw this kid play at Stony Brook. I know Stony Brook is hardly a powerhouse college football school. BUT this is a really good kig and a good football player. I dont know if he has enough to stick in the NFL but he definitely deserves a shot. The kid runs hard, has an unbelievable work ethic and played pretty good against Division I teams when given a chance. Against Syracuse ( tied for 1st in Big East and won their Bowl game) this year, he ran for 158 yards on 21 carries and against Army he ran for 220 yards on 32 carries.

Hes a good local kid and worth a look. Is he the answer? Probably not but I think he may surprise some folks around here. I know Todd McShay was high on him calling him the next Alfred Morris and Mike Mayock was also high on him.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I saw this kid play at Stony Brook. I know Stony Brook is hardly a powerhouse college football school. BUT this is a really good kig and a good football player. I dont know if he has enough to stick in the NFL but he definitely deserves a shot. The kid runs hard, has an unbelievable work ethic and played pretty good against Division I teams when given a chance. Against Syracuse ( tied for 1st in Big East and won their Bowl game) this year, he ran for 158 yards on 21 carries and against Army he ran for 220 yards on 32 carries.

Hes a good local kid and worth a look. Is he the answer? Probably not but I think he may surprise some folks around here. I know Todd McShay was high on him calling him the next Alfred Morris and Mike Mayock was also high on him.
    I trust this FO to find good UFA prospects and I'm from LI too so I'm all for this kid if they give him a shot. Maybe he can beat out John Griffin for a spot. Actually, he sounds like Ivory light. Might be worth kicking the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Moreno was a 1st rd pick(12) in 2009 and has worse stats then Greene.. So Greene sucks yet you want a back that is worse?? This board is insane sometimes..
    So he has worse stats?

I guess it wouldn't matter that I mean Moreno as our 3rd RB and Greene was our lead back?

I guess it doesn't matter that Greene was a terrible receiver and we have an offense that will be predicated on screen passes and Moreno is a good receiver out of the backfield?

I guess "stats" are all that matters and its not possible he had some bad injury luck tearing his ACL?

Lets also throw out that Moreno would be a better fit in the zone blocking offense we run?

Sometimes this board is insane

There is no way Moreno is worse than Greene.

Shonne Greene's theory of playing Running back:

Get ball
    See hole
    run to hole
    hole closes
    take no evasive action
    find nearest defender
    run straight into him
    go down
    rinse
    repeat

I think Moreno could do that also.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    There is no way Moreno is worse than Greene.

Shonne Greene's theory of playing Running back:

Get ball
    See hole
    run to hole
    hole closes
    take no evasive action
    find nearest defender
    run straight into him
    go down
    rinse
    repeat

I think Moreno could do that also.
    They were both Rookies in 2009 do you really think Moreno is a good back for a 1st rd pick??? And he has played with better QB's then Sanchez.. So as bad as you say Greene is he still has better yardage and td's..

They were both Rookies in 2009 do you really think Moreno is a good back for a 1st rd pick??? And he has played with better QB's then Sanchez.. So as bad as you say Greene is he still has better yardage and td's..
    What difference does it make the round he was picked?

Has he had a good career, no. Does that mean he outright sux, absolutely no.

Thomas jones was a first round pick. He had injury issues and fell out of favor with the team that drafted him and went on to have 5 1,100 + yard seasons

Moreno has talent and could very well be a good fit as our 3rd down back.

Greene cant catch and habitually ran directly into defenders.

There really is no reason to compare them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What difference does it make the round he was picked?

Has he had a good career, no. Does that mean he outright sux, absolutely no.

Thomas jones was a first round pick. He had injury issues and fell out of favor with the team that drafted him and went on to have 5 1,100 + yard seasons

Moreno has talent and could very well be a good fit as our 3rd down back.

Greene cant catch and habitually ran directly into defenders.

There really is no reason to compare them.
    My point was as bad as Greene is he put up better numbers.. I suppose you haven't noticed that as long as the player is on some other team he has Value.. Some here want Bradshaw who is still available, what idiots the Titans must be for signing Greene and not him..