Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL to move Draft into May??

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Yet another case of Dictator Goodell trying to fix something that isn't broken.
    I actually agree that he's too much with some things. I don't know yet if this one is as big of a deal, but compounded with all the other stuff, he gets the "my way or bust" treatment.

30 million/year well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I actually agree that he's too much with some things. I don't know yet if this one is as big of a deal, but compounded with all the other stuff, he gets the "my way or bust" treatment.

30 million/year well spent.
    This sure isn't as big a deal as other things - we'll get used to and adjust and it will be fine - but it's still unnecessary, as are many of the things he does. I'm just glad that so far a team has not expressed interest in relocating to London and the schedule is seeming to stay at 4 and 16, not a ridiculous 2 and 18, which would make his entire safety campaign laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This sure isn't as big a deal as other things - we'll get used to and adjust and it will be fine - but it's still unnecessary, as are many of the things he does. I'm just glad that so far a team has not expressed interest in relocating to London and the schedule is seeming to stay at 4 and 16, not a ridiculous 2 and 18, which would make his entire safety campaign laughable.
    I don't believe he thinks of player safety first. He runs the NFL as how good it can look on paper.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't believe he thinks of player safety first. He runs the NFL as how good it can look on paper.
    But then it would be harder for him to pretend he cares about player safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Agreed completely. One round on Thursday night is so anti-climactic. Everyone knows who is going to go in the top choices. The real drama begins in the 2nd round with steals and trades.
    1) Plenty of drama in the first round this year, and others.

2) The night off before the second round has actually increased the number of trades, since teams get to reset their boards and negotiate during the break

3) Thursday night is much better than Saturday, for some of us

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Well, Roger is the only one I think whose literal job description must read "produce additional revenue streams for the NFL".

Unless this is also pushing the combine down it seems like it really is squeezing free agency into a very shortened time frame right after the Super Bowl, and since there are no additional events I don't see how this is supposed to generate any more revenue unless they think more people will watch in May? Which seems unlikely.
    They are likely to expand the regional combine process and push back the full combine

I don't like it.

The time between the end of the season and the draft seems like a long time already. Fans look forward to it, especially fans of teams that really need help in the draft. Many of us don't really follow any other sport than football, or at least aren't excited about anything else. The fans need something to keep them engaged. I'd rather them move the draft back to the beginning of April or end of March to be honest.

You're gonna have the draft in May and the start of training camp in June? What happens between the beginning of February and May, nothing? Stupid if you ask me, very stupid. And let's not forget, the season really ends in the middle of January, because there is only one game to look forward to after the Championship Games.

This is a real bad idea.

This move isn't meant for fans like those on JI. It's for the general football fan who doesn't live/breath/eat this stuff like we do.

It will also help squash the notion of an 18 week season. Things get closer to opening day. Hopefully?
    why does having a May draft squash the notion of an 18 week season?