Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL to move Draft into May??

NFL to move Draft into May??

Per Shefter:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is on the verge of brokering a deal with the NFLPA that would push the annual NFL draft into May.
    Per Schefter, the league will also move the new league year (free agency and trades) to ahead of the Combine, which is typically held in late February. The NFL draft is typically held around the last weekend in April. The changes, which have been in the works for awhile, are designed to "keep fans' attention over a longer period" and "use the events to produce additional revenue."

I am thinking that in retrospect they are looking to possibly cut down on pre-season games eventually which is a good idea.

Thoughts?

OOps sorry for the mispell mods...please change to "Move"

I would welcome the change, after the draft the offseason drags on and is fairly boring till pre-season starts.

All League
    Charter JI Member

If they push everything back, one plus would potentially be pushing the SuperBowl back 1 week to the weekend of Presidents day.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Per Shefter:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is on the verge of brokering a deal with the NFLPA that would push the annual NFL draft into May.
    Per Schefter, the league will also move the new league year (free agency and trades) to ahead of the Combine, which is typically held in late February. The NFL draft is typically held around the last weekend in April. The changes, which have been in the works for awhile, are designed to "keep fans' attention over a longer period" and "use the events to produce additional revenue."

I am thinking that in retrospect they are looking to possibly cut down on pre-season games eventually which is a good idea.

Thoughts?
    Operative words are "use the events to produce additional revenue". That's ALL Goodell cares about

All League
    I dont care when the draft is. I just wish they would put it back to the Saturday/Sunday format. But that probably is not happening.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Operative words are "use the events to produce additional revenue". That's ALL Goodell cares about
    He's the only one? The owners, coaches, players, sponsors, stadiums, TV stations, etc. don't want more money???

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    If they push everything back, one plus would potentially be pushing the SuperBowl back 1 week to the weekend of Presidents day.
    I don't think so. They're just talking about the League year (i.e. the date upon which transactions book and certain events can start) as far as I can tell but that doesn't necessarily impact anything with the schedule of games.

I also don't think these moves are designed to remove any preseasons games, although that might be nice. The idea that this is being done to drive more revenue would not be supported by cutting revenue-producing preseason games.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I dont care when the draft is. I just wish they would put it back to the Saturday/Sunday format. But that probably is not happening.
    Agreed completely. One round on Thursday night is so anti-climactic. Everyone knows who is going to go in the top choices. The real drama begins in the 2nd round with steals and trades.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Agreed completely. One round on Thursday night is so anti-climactic. Everyone knows who is going to go in the top choices. The real drama begins in the 2nd round with steals and trades.
    I'll push back on that a little. I think this year there was lots of drama early. Miami traded up to #3 to take the first defensive player in the draft. The Rams traded up with Buffalo to undercut the Jets (possibly) on Tavon Austin. EJ Manuel taken as the first QB in the teens and Geno Smith go undrafted on the first night. I thought there was lots of drama.

With that said, I'd rather see the Draft less stretched too. Maybe Rounds 1 and 2 on the first day, and the entire rest of the draft the next day? Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday.

All Pro
    I'm not sure we need another month of mock drafts and having every rookie torn to shreds by the media because there's nothing else to talk about ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Other than the top 2 or 3, I totally disagree with this. For all the "Mock Drafts" and such, no one had Miami trading up to #3, and no one really knew who was going there. Austin was a complete wild card and a total mystery. Few people, if any, had EJ Manual as the first QB off the board, let along at #16.

This was true in 2012, again, #1 and #2 were set, but the first round has tons of mysteries, steals, and trades. I don't really mind the 3 day format. I really don't care if it's in March, April, May, or June.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Mods please move to the draft forum.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Moving it to early May is fine IMO. Makes the draft a little closer to the season and reduces the awful stretch until TC a little.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    He's the only one? The owners, coaches, players, sponsors, stadiums, TV stations, etc. don't want more money???
    Well, Roger is the only one I think whose literal job description must read "produce additional revenue streams for the NFL".

Unless this is also pushing the combine down it seems like it really is squeezing free agency into a very shortened time frame right after the Super Bowl, and since there are no additional events I don't see how this is supposed to generate any more revenue unless they think more people will watch in May? Which seems unlikely.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-20-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Is it just me or does someone REALLY wish they were a Mod?!

Thank GOD that is not the case... Maybe it can be a Mod on Patsfans where it belongs.

Having one round on the 1st day of the draft sux it up..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Well, Roger is the only one I think whose literal job description must read "produce additional revenue streams for the NFL".

Unless this is also pushing the combine down it seems like it really is squeezing free agency into a very shortened time frame right after the draft, and since there are no additional events I don't see how this is supposed to generate any more revenue unless they think more people will watch in May? Which seems unlikely.
    There are tons of revenue ideas on the table that the League and the NFLPA talk about on a constant basis. The NFL is considering monetizing everything. How about selling tickets to the pre-draft Combine? What about pay per view NFL games rather than, or alongside, NFL Sunday Ticket? How about cities bidding on the opportunity to host the NFL Draft just like they bid on hosting the Super Bowl? In short, I don't think there's a lack of ideas....I just think they're trying to figure out how and when to suggest or propose these things with a straight face.

And if some ideas seem crazy just remember it wasn't all that long ago that the idea of cable TV seemed ludicrous, "I have 10 channels right now with my rabbit ears...why on Earth would I PAY for TV stations." There was a similar pushback when ESPN proposed it's channel, "Seriously? Who the heck needs a whole channel with nothing but sports on for 24 hours per day? That's crazy." But we still get these things and people still pay for them.

Seat licenses? You mean we'll pay tens of thousands of dollars for the RIGHT to pay more money for a ticket to a game?

This move isn't meant for fans like those on JI. It's for the general football fan who doesn't live/breath/eat this stuff like we do.

It will also help squash the notion of an 18 week season. Things get closer to opening day. Hopefully?

Yet another case of Dictator Goodell trying to fix something that isn't broken.