Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Ray Manzarak

Oh, no. One of rock's great keyboardists and performers is gone. RIP.

Ray Manzarek, founding member and keyboard player for the Doors, has passed away, according to the band’s official Facebook page. He was 74.

Publicist Heidi Robinson-Fitzgerald says in a news release that Manzarek died Monday at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family. He had been stricken by bile duct cancer.

“I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today,” said Robby Krieger, the Doors’ guitarist and long-time collaborator. “I’m just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him.”

The Doors first came to San Francisco in January 1967 to open for the Young Rascals and Sopwith Camel at the Fillmore Auditorium. It was the same weekend that more than 25,000 hippies filled Golden Gate Park for the Human Be-In, and the Doors were there, too.

Manzarek is survived by his wife Dorothy, brothers Rick and James Manczarek, son Pablo Manzarek, Pablo’s wife Sharmin and their three children Noah, Apollo and Camille. Funeral arrangements are pending.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks fans to please make a memoriam donation in Ray Manzarek’s name at www.standup2cancer.org

http://blog.sfgate.com/loaded/2013/0...rs-dies-at-74/

http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/20/ray-ma...-doors-cancer/

RAY MANZAREK
    'Doors' Founding Member
    DEAD AT 74

Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

iconic band, iconic sound. took their music to places no one else has been. damn i feel old.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Jets Insider VIP
    RIP

Jets Insider VIP
    He left a big footprint.

How many of us older guys BLASTED LA WOMAN as we drove down the highway in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He left a big footprint.

How many of us older guys BLASTED LA WOMAN as we drove down the highway in high school.
    That record is so evocative of the era. Two notes and you know it's The Doors.

Same thing with Ray's playing; you knew it was him after hearing a note or two of his keyboard(s).

When you have some time, give this gem a listen. One of the finest recordings of any band from those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZpen-9N0Dk

Saw him and Kruger last year with 2 others...the fake Doors...for FREE at Mohegan.

He seemed like a down to earth guy with a sense of humor.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He left a big footprint.

So true

I was a huge Doors fan years ago, RIP

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Was just going to post this, one of my favorite classic rock songs of all time, Top 10, definitely.

Jets Insider VIP
    That sucks. Rest in peace Ray.

I picked up my kid from college on Friday up at Binghamton and on the way home, i was quizzing him on classic rock. The Doors came on and he knew it right away. A nice testament to the legacy of the band when their music is instanly known by a kid born 17 years after the band ended.

Jets Insider VIP
    We were at a party one night and everyone was telling what their first concert was. A friend of my brother was last, all he said was "Blood in the streets in the town of New Haven."

How's that for a first concert?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Oh, no. One of rock's great keyboardists and performers is gone. RIP.
    And great Bassist at the same time!

Dude was pretty amazing!

Jets Insider VIP
    RIP Ray

And we lose yet another brilliant artist.

Cherish these guys while we still have them.