Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Tornado Wipes Out Elementary Schools

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Same town that had 36 killed in a Tornado in 1999.

At what point do we stop simply rebuilding in the same horribly dangerous places, then act suprised when the same natural disaster destroys it again.

Horrific tragedy.
    When the original tornado had struck, at the time they said it was a once in a 400 year occurrence (how they would know that I don't know).

I don't know if the weather is really getting more severe (insert global warming rant here) or if we are simply more aware of it because of more coverage from news outlets, the internet, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is just horrific. Thoughts and prayers to everyone in Oklahoma. What a nightmare.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It is a legitimate question. People were talking about the same thing after Sandy. I understand all sides of the argument. How can you tell people where to live? How can you tell people to keep paying (really borrowing) for these places to be rebuilt?
    Agreed. The same people in OK are wondering how we can possibly live on the east coast under constant thread of hurricanes, while we ourselves try to rationalize living on the west coast with the constant threat of wildfires and/or earthquakes.

It's simple. Eventually you put down roots. You choose to live in a region for various reasons (work, family, lifestyle, etc).

The longer you live somewhere the harder it is to leave.
    You have commitments, you have family there.

I'm sure there are people who live there who are terrified of this, yet may have family to take care of there (parents) or simply don't have the economic ways & means to be able to roll the dice and move elsewhere.

Unfortunately anywhere you live in the country there are risks, there just are.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Agreed. The same people in OK are wondering how we can possibly live on the east coast under constant thread of hurricanes, while we ourselves try to rationalize living on the west coast with the constant threat of wildfires and/or earthquakes.

It's simple. Eventually you put down roots. You choose to live in a region for various reasons (work, family, lifestyle, etc).

I'm sure there are people who live there who are terrified of this, yet may have family to take care of there (parents) or simply don't have the economic ways & means to be able to roll the dice and move elsewhere.

Agreed. I grew up in upstate NY and living thru the winters was bad enough. While there were no hurricanes and tornadoes extremely rare, the act of just driving to work or getting to school was hazardous enough on icy roads. I would venture to say there are more people killed each year due to winter weather driving than hurricanes/tornadoes combined....but plenty still live there.

Tough day for the Okies. They're a good bunch ad I've been through Moore a few times. Always felt welcomed. Heart goes out to them.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The children that are missing are all Kindergarten to 3rd grade. I cant imagine.
    Been too busy to follow the story until just now. That's beyond heartbreaking, as a new dad I can't imagine either.

RIP little ones.

You a first responder in Moore, OK?

If not, wtf difference does it make if a bunch of chuckleheaded e-posters nowhere near OK say X, Y or Z and don't "focus" on the lost the way you prefer? Obviously the loss of life is horrific.....but so is not learning from it.

The tragedy here is that in a place obviously under regular threat of this kind of extreme weather, that was crushed with dozens killed mere years ago, proper precautions were not taken to protect the people when it was rebuilt. You would think it would be absolute mandatory in rebuilding such a town that every building have appropriate tornado shelters, given where it is and the risk it faces.

People unrelated to this tragic event shouldn't be sad. They should be angry. Angry that we toss up cheap**** shelter-free housing and schools in a state that regularly hosts hundreds of tornados a year. That we seem to love to choose to live in some of the dumbest places around, like right in the middle of Tornado-please-kill-me-alley, or Mississippi-please-flood-me Township, or in cities below sea level held together with baling wire and cheaply built levees.

When a tornado hits Freeport L.I., thats a suprise. When one hits anywhere in OK, it's to be expected as a regular occurence......why then no adequate shelters in a SCHOOL of all places???
    So only people who are digging through the rubble should be focused on the loss of life and the devastation that these families are going through? You should call CNN and tell the heads of programming to stop with all of the human interest stories and go straight to asking the bereaved why "they live in some of the dumbest places around."

By your logic, incidentally, Churchill was a terrible leader who deserved the ire of the British people. Even after the Blitz, he presided over the deaths of nearly 3000 people from V2 rocket attacks which started in 1944. Why didn't he have "adequate shelters" built? Why did he let people live it cities like London which had 'hosted hundreds" of air raids in 1940? Bombing raids by the Nazis were "a regular occurrence," right?

And please let us know your plans for moving millions of people from these unacceptable places to live and to supply those who are too dumb to move with adequate shelters.

Sounds like a great political platform. You should run for office.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 05-21-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I haven't had time to really keep up on this but was there no tornado shelter for these kids to go to?

Not trying to assign blame here but if there wasn't, how the hell come there wasn't? Maybe I don't quite understand the scope of what it would entail but it seems like this is an absolute must in this area and areas like this.

Thank you for a sensible post. People who live in New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, the coast of Texas (Galveston was wiped out by a hurricane in 1900) and along any of the major fault lines are 'taking a risk."

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I haven't had time to really keep up on this but was there no tornado shelter for these kids to go to?

Not trying to assign blame here but if there wasn't, how the hell come there wasn't? Maybe I don't quite understand the scope of what it would entail but it seems like this is an absolute must in this area and areas like this.
    I'm guessing the school was built on a slab. A shelter for hundreds of people who work at the school would be quite an expense and undertaking. Should there be ones built in the future? Maybe, but again, this would involved building them in every town and city in the South and Midwest, because all of these places are at risk for tornadoes.

Edit: the school did have a basement and the kids were in it, apparently.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 05-21-2013 at 08:38 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    At what point do we stop simply rebuilding in the same horribly dangerous places, then act suprised when the same natural disaster destroys it again.
    right. leave the jersey shore in shambles. AMIRITE?

Prayers for the families. sad stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post

Edit: the school did have a basement and the kids were in it, apparently.
    Not sure if it has been confirmed but I heard a report that a water main broke and that is how many children drowned. Those shelters can turn into death traps if water is involved.

Hall Of Fame
    and yet many of us today will feel like we're having a terrible day leading somewhat rough lives.

prayers for these good people - i can only imagine the horror of not knowing where a loved one is right now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    and yet many of us today will feel like we're having a terrible day leading somewhat rough lives..
    US? Thats usually you, no?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    and yet many of us today will feel like we're having a terrible day leading somewhat rough lives.

prayers for these good people - i can only imagine the horror of not knowing where a loved one is right now.
    amen.

maybe we do need to build more shelters. and we can use money that we would normally send overseas to people who hate us...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    maybe we do need to build more shelters.
    No more free handouts.

Jets Insider VIP

And to think there are people at the shore fighting AGAINST bigger dunes being built... sorry, but those who reject the dunes are on their own.

Heard stories on the news of people having to hold down the door to their storm shelters, and stories of those that did not have a shelter. That is the part that gets me... How do you live there and not have one??

One radio station was playing music from Godzilla while talking about the tornados. Shows the battle to get people to listen to their news channel.
    Last edited by FlagmanL11; 05-21-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    No more free handouts.
    Shelters > cell phones.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    amen.

maybe we do need to build more shelters. and we can use money that we would normally send overseas to people who hate us...
    Amen

When the original tornado had struck, at the time they said it was a once in a 400 year occurrence (how they would know that I don't know).
    In the past 15 years, this town has been struck by 4 severe tornados according to CNN and FOX. Was a stunning map graphic.

Thats enough for me.

Agreed. The same people in OK are wondering how we can possibly live on the east coast under constant thread of hurricanes
    You have upwards of a week to avoid/escape a Hurricane.

You have 5-10 minutes to avoid/escape a Tornado.

Thats why Tornadoes are somewhat unique. They are both common (unlike major earthquakes) and instant (unlike hurricanes) and do not hit a specific location (like floods). They are literally the worst thing ever.

The issue really is a lack of preparation to avoid these types of tragedy if you can reasonable expect them to occur with some frequency.

For example, a legit storm shelter in your schools ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    No more free handouts.
    It's not a handout chucklenuts, if it's built by your local/state jurisdiction from local/state taxation. One has to wonder what OK spent on that came before things like tornado shelters in schools in towns hit by 4 tornados in 15 years.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly talk turns to politics.
    Because if you do not learn from tragedy, you are doomed to repeat it.

This town in OK is a perfect example of that in the last 15 years. One might venture that it was a pure political failure that not prioritize shelter constuction/spending for at least the public schools after the first THREE tornadoes ripped through this town......

We look to politics, because we want to have an answer we believe would stop this from being so horrific next time.
    Last edited by Churchill; 05-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    It's not a handout chucklenuts, if it's built by your local/state jurisdiction from local/state taxation. One has to wonder what OK spent on that came before things like tornado shelters in schools in towns hit by 4 tornados in 15 years.
    I knew somehow this tornado would be blamed on the libs.

Nice thread to make political points in.

I see your time away did little.