Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Oklahoma Tornado Wipes Out Elementary Schools

  1. #61
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been saying prayers for those kids... holding out hope.

  2. #62
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds as if there might have been a basement in the OK school, though some children were in corridors, I read. Either way, it's terribly sad and my thoughts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

    Unfortunately, in some places, it's too difficult to build underground shelters. No one I know here has a basement, because the ground is too solid. Everything is built on a slab and everyone has sheds (for extra junk usually kept in a basement).

    We're supposed to get severe storms this afternoon until tomorrow morning. Heavy rain, winds, hail, and possible tornadoes (which usually don't come this far south; normally around Dallas and north of there). If that happens, all we can do is go into a bathroom without a window and hope/pray. It's very scary when there's nothing you can do, and I feel for everyone who has been a victim of any of these crazy weather events.
    Last edited by Lone Star Lady; 05-21-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: left out a word

  3. #63
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Agreed. I grew up in upstate NY and living thru the winters was bad enough. While there were no hurricanes and tornadoes extremely rare, the act of just driving to work or getting to school was hazardous enough on icy roads. I would venture to say there are more people killed each year due to winter weather driving than hurricanes/tornadoes combined....but plenty still live there.

    Tough day for the Okies. They're a good bunch ad I've been through Moore a few times. Always felt welcomed. Heart goes out to them.
    Song below immediately came to mind. Awful tragedy. RIP to far to many children (and adults).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE

    Stay strong Okies.

  4. #64
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I knew somehow this tornado would be blamed on the libs.

    Nice thread to make political points in.

    I see your time away did little.
    wtf are you on about chucklenuts? OK is a (R) dominated State.

    If anyone is going to be targeting others with "blame" for the Tornado in the coming days, it'll be those who belive it was caused/worsened by Climate Change. We should start seeing those news articles within a day or so, I expect.

    Speaking of articles and news, I am disgusted by the media as a whole. Drooling Hyenas they are, so hungry to cover tragedy and blood and exploit it for all it's worth.
    Last edited by Churchill; 05-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.

  5. #65
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    When the original tornado had struck, at the time they said it was a once in a 400 year occurrence (how they would know that I don't know).

    I don't know if the weather is really getting more severe (insert global warming rant here) or if we are simply more aware of it because of more coverage from news outlets, the internet, etc.
    I have no clue either. I'm sure there's some scientific rationale for that kind of statement but my understanding is that tornadoes are randomized events that emerge from certain types of storm systems / conditions. Unless there was a tornado like this 400 years ago (and somehow someone was able to record some data as to how big, strong, long it lasted, etc.) I don't know how they could claim that. But what do I know.

  6. #66
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    No more free handouts.
    What about sh!thandouts?

    Those are free....amirite?

  7. #67
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    It sounds as if there might have been a basement in the OK school, though some children were in corridors, I read. Either way, it's terribly sad and my thoughts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

    Unfortunately, in some places, it's too difficult to build underground shelters. No one I know here has a basement, because the ground is too solid. Everything is built on a slab and everyone has sheds (for extra junk usually kept in a basement).

    We're supposed to get severe storms this afternoon until tomorrow morning. Heavy rain, winds, hail, and possible tornadoes (which usually don't come this far south; normally around Dallas and north of there). If that happens, all we can do is go into a bathroom without a window and hope/pray. It's very scary when there's nothing you can do, and I feel for everyone who has been a victim of any of these crazy weather events.
    Hang in there. Stay safe. If you end up huddled in a bathroom I just hope that Fishooked isn't in there with you! #worsethantornado


  8. #68
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I have no clue either. I'm sure there's some scientific rationale for that kind of statement but my understanding is that tornadoes are randomized events that emerge from certain types of storm systems / conditions. Unless there was a tornado like this 400 years ago (and somehow someone was able to record some data as to how big, strong, long it lasted, etc.) I don't know how they could claim that. But what do I know.
    It's fairly simple. They gather the millions of data points that they have collected since weather started being scientifically observed and recorded, and then they plug those data points into a computer model and determine the likelihood of the exact confluence of weather patterns occurring again in the precise order in which they happened.

  9. #69
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    It's fairly simple. They gather the millions of data points that they have collected since weather started being scientifically observed and recorded, and then they plug those data points into a computer model and determine the likelihood of the exact confluence of weather patterns occurring again in the precise order in which they happened.
    You lost most Hampurites at "data points."

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I have no clue either. I'm sure there's some scientific rationale for that kind of statement but my understanding is that tornadoes are randomized events that emerge from certain types of storm systems / conditions. Unless there was a tornado like this 400 years ago (and somehow someone was able to record some data as to how big, strong, long it lasted, etc.) I don't know how they could claim that. But what do I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    It's fairly simple. They gather the millions of data points that they have collected since weather started being scientifically observed and recorded, and then they plug those data points into a computer model and determine the likelihood of the exact confluence of weather patterns occurring again in the precise order in which they happened.
    It's a risk percentage. For a 400 yr storm, there's a 0.25% chance it will happen in a single year. A 100 yr storm - there is a 1% chance it will happen in a single year. Also, a 1 yr storm - there's a 100% chance it will happen in a single year. Get it?

    A 400 yr storm doesn't mean it happens once every 400 years, just like a 100 yr storm doesn't mean it will happen once every 100 years. Just percentages per year, that's all.

  11. #71
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    It's fairly simple. They gather the millions of data points that they have collected since weather started being scientifically observed and recorded, and then they plug those data points into a computer model and determine the likelihood of the exact confluence of weather patterns occurring again in the precise order in which they happened.
    Makes sense. But I think their "likelihood" factor may be off. These 400 year storms are happening like every 10 years.

  12. #72
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    It's a risk percentage. For a 400 yr storm, there's a 0.25% chance it will happen in a single year. A 100 yr storm - there is a 1% chance it will happen in a single year. Also, a 1 yr storm - there's a 100% chance it will happen in a single year. Get it?

    A 400 yr storm doesn't mean it happens once every 400 years, just like a 100 yr storm doesn't mean it will happen once every 100 years. Just percentages per year, that's all.
    Mutual exclusivity, I get it. That's like a numbskull who watches a coin flip turn up heads 10 times in a row and says, "well, it's bound to be tails THIS TIME." No it's not, it still has a 50% chance it will be heads.

    If we haven't had a 400 year storm in 399 years, there's still a 0.25% chance we'll have one this year. My concern is that continuing to call these "400 year events" may not be correct. Perhaps in the past there was a 0.25% chance the conditions would come together to create a storm like that, but these days....it's looking like the conditions to cause these events may be happening more often. The models need to be updated OR people need to start terming these storms more accurately.

  13. #73
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Mutual exclusivity, I get it. That's like a numbskull who watches a coin flip turn up heads 10 times in a row and says, "well, it's bound to be tails THIS TIME." No it's not, it still has a 50% chance it will be heads.

    If we haven't had a 400 year storm in 399 years, there's still a 0.25% chance we'll have one this year. My concern is that continuing to call these "400 year events" may not be correct. Perhaps in the past there was a 0.25% chance the conditions would come together to create a storm like that, but these days....it's looking like the conditions to cause these events may be happening more often. The models need to be updated OR people need to start terming these storms more accurately.
    You get it Jetstream.

    Obviously, all weather models are based on human input and human assumptions. You and I could study the weather endlessly, and become the two top experts in the world on weather modeling, and you and I would create two different computer models. Mine might say this is a "400 year storm", and yours might say its a once in 10 years storm. It's all based on what assumptions are put into the model.

    Obviously, weather is an inexact science. We humans have yet to understand even a fraction of what exactly causes these types of storms.

    I don't mean to take attention away from the human tragedy here. That's what is important, and I feel for the people and families involved.

  14. #74
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Mutual exclusivity, I get it. That's like a numbskull who watches a coin flip turn up heads 10 times in a row and says, "well, it's bound to be tails THIS TIME." No it's not, it still has a 50% chance it will be heads.

    If we haven't had a 400 year storm in 399 years, there's still a 0.25% chance we'll have one this year. My concern is that continuing to call these "400 year events" may not be correct. Perhaps in the past there was a 0.25% chance the conditions would come together to create a storm like that, but these days....it's looking like the conditions to cause these events may be happening more often. The models need to be updated OR people need to start terming these storms more accurately.
    Exactly. Accurate weather headlines should read-

    BIG ASS MUTHAFVCKER OF ALL TIME SHlT STORM HEADED RIGHT THIS WAY. GET YOUR ASS TO A BOMB SHELTER I-FVCKN-MEADIATELY.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us