Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: Oklahoma Tornado Wipes Out Elementary Schools

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,244

    Unhappy Oklahoma Tornado Wipes Out Elementary Schools

    This....this is just awful.

    Word has it that two schools are wiped out and don't have tornado shelters.
    Also the closest hospital (Moore, OKC) is also wiped out.
    Tornado is estimated to be two miles wide.

    http://abcnews.go.com/live
    Last edited by Fishooked; 05-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,244
    Wow, over two dozen kids are presumed dead, rescue mission now changed to recovery. RIP, heart & soul goes out to Oklahoma.

  3. #3
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,613
    I think the kids are all ok...4 dead I heard

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I think the kids are all ok...4 dead I heard
    Same thing we're hearing down here

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,210
    I just heard 1 school 7 confirmed dead but they are expecting the count to near 30.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,613
    ok now saying 24 dead kids

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,243
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    ok now saying 24 dead kids
    Yeah. I heard the same report. The 7 they have recovered thus far drowned.

  8. #8
    HOLY FCUK?! 2 MILES WIDE?!

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,243
    The Weather Channel has been reporting these tornadoes for two days. I don't understand why the schools were even open.

  10. #10
    Oh no! Moore...again.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,997
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The Weather Channel has been reporting these tornadoes for two days. I don't understand why the schools were even open.
    Yeah that's a huge failure. Even worse, how do these schools not have tornado shelter. Every government or state building in that area should. RIP. life fukn sucks.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The Weather Channel has been reporting these tornadoes for two days. I don't understand why the schools were even open.
    You can't exactly predict Tornadoes accurately, they just come out of nowhere and you don't have much warning.

    Also, they get so many out there and have Tornado Warnings constantly.
    The Weather and news stations go nuts with it like ESPN finding out the JETS are a team full of murderers and rapists.

    Similar situation in ATL.
    If they closed schools every time there was the possibility of a Tornado the schools would never be open.

    And then there are people like me, who hear the Tornado siren and run outside to see the storm.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Yeah that's a huge failure. Even worse, how do these schools not have tornado shelter. Every government or state building in that area should. RIP. life fukn sucks.
    They SHOULD have Tornado Shelters, but what, are the TAXPAYERS supposed to pay for that????

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Yeah that's a huge failure. Even worse, how do these schools not have tornado shelter. Every government or state building in that area should. RIP. life fukn sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    They SHOULD have Tornado Shelters, but what, are the TAXPAYERS supposed to pay for that????
    They should, but you'd be surprised how many homes in the midwest don't; it's just cheaper to build a house on a slab.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    You can't exactly predict Tornadoes accurately, they just come out of nowhere and you don't have much warning.

    Also, they get so many out there and have Tornado Warnings constantly.
    The Weather and news stations go nuts with it like ESPN finding out the JETS are a team full of murderers and rapists.

    Similar situation in ATL.
    If they closed schools every time there was the possibility of a Tornado the schools would never be open.

    And then there are people like me, who hear the Tornado siren and run outside to see the storm.
    Your points are well-taken but these storms were being projected as extremely severe. They knew they were coming and knew they were going to be bad b.c of the radar.

    But these are all discussions for another day. What matters now is that these people get the help they need.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,362
    But you would think public buildings, especially schools, would have tornado shelters. The office I worked in down here had them and Austin is well south of "tornado alley."

    Two miles wide, holy crap. Nowhere to run if you don't have a shelter.

    That said, RIP to those who lost their lives, and thoughts out to everyone affected. Heartbreaking.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,244
    This is a time lapse video of the tornado (apparently)


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HKu9xV55g

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    But you would think public buildings, especially schools, would have tornado shelters. The office I worked in down here had them and Austin is well south of "tornado alley."

    Two miles wide, holy crap. Nowhere to run if you don't have a shelter.

    That said, RIP to those who lost their lives, and thoughts out to everyone affected. Heartbreaking.
    It's pretty damn awful.

    I was surprised too. I remember the Tornado Drills at my Elementary School...
    We just went into the hallways and crouched against the brick walls.
    No WAY that would have saved anyone looking back on it.

    Those folks have it hard enough as it is right now!

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,244
    Here is another clip

    I would be ****ing terrified.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpceWd8UE4

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,243

    Oklahoma Tornado Wipes Out Elementary Schools

    The children that are missing are all Kindergarten to 3rd grade. I cant imagine.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us