Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Tornado Wipes Out Elementary Schools

DAMN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    This is a time lapse video of the tornado (apparently)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HKu9xV55g
    Here is another clip

I would be ****ing terrified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpceWd8UE4

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Your points are well-taken but these storms were being projected as extremely severe. They knew they were coming and knew they were going to be bad b.c of the radar.

But these are all discussions for another day. What matters now is that these people get the help they need.
    Yeah but what they can't totally predict is when one of these cells isolates itself from the line of storms and begins to show signs or potential of circulation. Unfortunately they just look like a line of t-storms when fronts come & go. Pretty scary, especially at night when you cant see anything.

Banned
    24 kids dead all kindergarten through 2nd....death toll up to 51

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    It sounded as if the 4th, 5th, 6th graders were sheltered in a church and are all okay, but the K-3 kids stayed at the school. Not sure if that's right, but one website is reporting that the little children are the ones that everyone is worried about. Unbelievable.

I read that Moore OK experienced an F5 tornado in 1999. How awful.

Same town that had 36 killed in a Tornado in 1999.

At what point do we stop simply rebuilding in the same horribly dangerous places, then act suprised when the same natural disaster destroys it again.

Horrific tragedy.

They should, but you'd be surprised how many homes in the midwest don't; it's just cheaper to build a house on a slab.

Yep, a lot like the South.
    What a mess

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

At what point do we stop simply rebuilding in the same horribly dangerous places, then act suprised when the same natural disaster destroys it again.

Horrific tragedy.
    I can't believe you are asking this question. The point at which we stop rebuilding is when we take that choice away from people.

A tragic coincidence. Moore is no more dangerous than the next town over. The part of this I'm not getting is how you are physically present for a two mile wide tornado. Couldn't see it coming? Something that big doesn't just materialize in seconds, does it?

Horrific tragedy.

So... Nobody lives on the beach, either, right?

All safe here in Tulsa. Pray for the folks in the OKC area. Horrible day for all those affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    So... Nobody lives on the beach, either, right?
    Or in LA and SF on top of the San Andreas fault. Tornadoes strike all over the Midwest and south and no one can predict with certainly where or when they will strike.

In the meantime, how about we focus on the families who have lost loved ones?

All League
    Thoughts with those affected by this unfortunate tragedy. There are no words.

I've seen first hand the devastation of tornadoes. Only an EF-3, and the destruction was unimaginable. I've seen hurricane Category 3 results, and that has nothing on tornadoes. I've never been in a major earthquake yet, but to date, tornadoes are the only thing Mother Nature has that absolutely scares the shlt out of me.

Jets Insider VIP
    They should, but you'd be surprised how many homes in the midwest don't; it's just cheaper to build a house on a slab.
    OK and TX has a good deal of the ground with bedrock fairly close to the surface - it's very expensive to build a shelter/basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    OK and TX has a good deal of the ground with bedrock fairly close to the surface - it's very expensive to build a shelter/basement.
    Yep,

It's kind of like Florida and the Gulf states... You don't see basements there, there's just no ground to dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Yeah that's a huge failure. Even worse, how do these schools not have tornado shelter. Every government or state building in that area should. RIP. life fukn sucks.
    Agree absolutely no excuse ESP in tornado alley.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    In the meantime, how about we focus on the families who have lost loved ones?
    You a first responder in Moore, OK?

If not, wtf difference does it make if a bunch of chuckleheaded e-posters nowhere near OK say X, Y or Z and don't "focus" on the lost the way you prefer? Obviously the loss of life is horrific.....but so is not learning from it.

The tragedy here is that in a place obviously under regular threat of this kind of extreme weather, that was crushed with dozens killed mere years ago, proper precautions were not taken to protect the people when it was rebuilt. You would think it would be absolute mandatory in rebuilding such a town that every building have appropriate tornado shelters, given where it is and the risk it faces.

People unrelated to this tragic event shouldn't be sad. They should be angry. Angry that we toss up cheap**** shelter-free housing and schools in a state that regularly hosts hundreds of tornados a year. That we seem to love to choose to live in some of the dumbest places around, like right in the middle of Tornado-please-kill-me-alley, or Mississippi-please-flood-me Township, or in cities below sea level held together with baling wire and cheaply built levees.

When a tornado hits Freeport L.I., thats a suprise. When one hits anywhere in OK, it's to be expected as a regular occurence......why then no adequate shelters in a SCHOOL of all places???
    Last edited by Churchill; 05-21-2013 at 12:13 AM.

The lot of you who are outraged over the "gross negligence" of not having Tornado Shelters in the schools, homes, malls, etc clearly do not know what life is like for people in these rural areas and I question what any of you *actually* know about life outside of your gifted little bubbles.

I would LOVE to see what you would have to say if YOUR "tax dollars" you love so dearly were to be used for storm shelters in OK, KS, NC, SC, FL, TX, LA, MS, AL, etc, etc...

I'm guessing you wouldn't like that very much, especially seeing the price tag on the said shelters.

Where is the outrage for the TEACHERS who barely make enough money to get to work?! That is only one TINY fraction of things everybody in this damn country wants to bltch about but wants to do NOTHING about when it comes to their beloved "tax dollars"

These people can barely afford to keep the AC on and food on their tables.
    And don't say "well they should work harder" either, because a lot of these people do nothing but work their A$$ES off for much less money than they deserve.

Anyways, I think you see where I'm going... Off my soapbox now.

Jets Insider VIP

Horrific tragedy.
    My kid asked that exact question. Why do they keep rebuilding there? I simply said that I don't know, but that rebuilding isn't the problem....it's safely rebuilding. You wouldn't go on a cruise ship that didn't have life boats or life preservers. I can't imagine a school without a tornado shelter in that part of the country.

Geez....it's just horrific!

Last edited by jetstream23; 05-21-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I can't believe you are asking this question. The point at which we stop rebuilding is when we take that choice away from people.

A tragic coincidence. Moore is no more dangerous than the next town over. The part of this I'm not getting is how you are physically present for a two mile wide tornado. Couldn't see it coming? Something that big doesn't just materialize in seconds, does it?

Actually, it kind of does. If you get a chance to see the video of just before it touched down, it just looks like your average, menacing thunderhead...until you see the tendrils coming down and the funnel forms.

Jets Insider VIP
    It never ceases to amaze me how quickly talk turns to politics.

Hall Of Fame
    It is a legitimate question. People were talking about the same thing after Sandy. I understand all sides of the argument. How can you tell people where to live? How can you tell people to keep paying (really borrowing) for these places to be rebuilt?