Thread: Jets Antonio Allen hopes to 'lock down' starting safety spot

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Antonio Allen hopes to 'lock down' starting safety spot

Jets Antonio Allen hopes to 'lock down' starting safety spot

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    on May 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM, updated May 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Antonio Allen depended on Josh Bush during his rookie season last year.

The two were both first-year safeties, seventh and sixth round picks, respectively. Both were learning a complicated new system that demanded a speedy learning curve. Both were parsing a giant playbook.

And, of course, Bush had a car. Allen did not.

"He was the one who drove us from the facility and back to the hotel," Allen said, laughing. "So we're pretty tight."

Now the two are direct competitors for the second safety spot along with former second-round pick and Eagles castaway Jaiquawn Jarrett. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman declared as much last week during a conference call with season-ticket holders, saying that the starter alongside Dawan Landry will be determined through the offseason.

Offseason training activities begin for the Jets today.

Allen said that Thurman never told the safeties directly about a competition although it was apparent early on this offseason. Dueling reps have become a running scorecard between the two.

"I can see it out there on the field, you know?" Allen said. "He takes me out, puts Josh in. He takes Josh out, puts me in. So, it's a healthy competition at the end of the day."

He hopes his ability as a playmaker can stand out during these reps. At South Carolina, he wasn't typically asked to be a pure safety and is still adjusting to the position. He appeared in seven games last year, mostly on special teams, and recovered a fumble. Bush appeared in all 16, also largely in a special teams role.

Allen knows Bush would still give him a lift if need be, though. They remain friends despite the competition, one of at least eight open battles that will determine opening-day starters.

"I'm all up for it," Allen said. "We're all close in the DB room but obviously someone needs to get the start. I'm just trying to come here and compete. I just try and do what I do best, and that's make plays.

"Hopefully, me doing that will lock down that position."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There will be a roster addition between now and August, who will end up as The Starting Safety.
    Allen is fine as a young back-up...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allen/Bush cannot be worse than the rubbish we have had at Safety over the last 15 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love us to start some of our lower round selections, we never seem to give these guys a fair crack at it.

You can do all the practice field evaluation in the world, ultimately game time is when you find out what a prospect you truly have.

If we are in "rebuild" as so many think we are, then it's sink or swim for guys like this, last thing we need is another one year stop gap vet like Woodson IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    There will be a roster addition between now and August, who will end up as The Starting Safety.
    Allen is fine as a young back-up...
    Lets not sell Allen short! He is very talented but was hurt by the position he played in college. He has excellent ability and is a fierce hitter. I expect him to eventually be our starter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are rebuilding and Allen is young. He should take every single snap this year and we can re evaluate the safety position next offseason.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless they bring in someone late in the game, I think we're going to see Landry at the SS spot, Bush as the coverage FS and Allen as the LB/S hybrid that Eric Smith played for the majority of his tenure w/Rex.

A platoon of safeties! Wooo!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    By far Allen is the best FS prospect on the roster. I have high hopes for him. Hopefully he can nail down the job for 2013, but the long term answer at FS will still reside somewhere outside of the Jets organization for yet another year. Perhaps in 2014 we'll remember how valuable the position is again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a more ideal scenario, Allen will take over the Eric Smith role as a pseudo linebacker and blitzer in nickel and dime formations. He's going to be pressed into a bigger role this year, sink or swim. Let's hope he swims, but I don't he'll be playing much deep safety. His role in college was much more similar to the one I outlined in the first sentence.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    By far Allen is the best FS prospect on the roster. I have high hopes for him. Hopefully he can nail down the job for 2013, but the long term answer at FS will still reside somewhere outside of the Jets organization for yet another year. Perhaps in 2014 we'll remember how valuable the position is again.
    Best?

That's debatable.

Jaiquawn Jarrett, is a 2nd round pick of the Eagles just 3 years ago, a solid prospect coming out of Temple, he was a favorite on this board prior to the draft, not sure what happened to him in Philly, but he is in the mix for the other starting S spot.

Jets have some young talent at the S that they are developing in Allen, Smith, Jarrett, and the UDFA they signed who lit up rookie camp Miles

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets will determine that in ota's and training camp...no one here knows how it will all pan out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was a great player in college......A leader, instinctive, always making big plays, you name it.

I feel like he would be an ideal Hybrid/Eric Smith replacement as others have said but he could also play strictly safety, it's just an adjustment......He actually blitzed alot and excelled at shutting down tight ends in college.....Pretty much what Eric Smith was asked to do for us but failed miserably

I would like to see what our young guys could do back there......It beats signing a retread JAG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrVWcj6NDY

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    HIGHLIGHTS: Receiver Jeremy Kerley had a good day. He was featured due to the absences of Hill and Holmes. ... Tight end Hayden Smith also made some nice catches. ... Safety Antonio Allen seemed to be taking the first-team reps alongside Josh Bush. The Jets lost their starting safeties this offseason in LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Jaiquawn Jarrett the former 2nd round pick of the Eagles?
    I dont really know much about him but he looks like he could compete for a starting spot too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Allen the best out of the young Safeties. He played a hybrid position in college so needs some refinement, but he has a great deal of talent, good range, strong tackling ability and some big-play potential.

I am less sold on Bush, who didn't wow me in preseason last year. Hopefully he can step up and compete this year.

Jarrett is interesting - very highly rated coming out, but had a terrible experience with the Eagles. But the talent is clearly there is Rex / Thurman / McDonald can get it out of him.

Really like the look of Miles also. I was hoping the Jets might draft him late, so getting him as an UDFA was like an extra draft pick. He's a missile and hits like a truck.

Whatever happens, this is going to be a very interesting battle to watch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If one of them isn't quite ready yet, Dawan Landry is good insurance but I wouldn't mind us bringing in a second vet for cheap as a stopgap.