Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WILL MARTY M. UTILIZE McKNIGHT MORE THAN PREVIOUS OC'S ?

Talking WILL MARTY M. UTILIZE McKNIGHT MORE THAN PREVIOUS OC'S ?

=Joe Mcknight ran a 4.40 flat..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's one thing about McKnight is that he can fly, he was the number one RB recruit coming out of HS and everyone wanted him, he's no bum, the guy just never gets a chance, he makes a big play then gets shelved for three games, he can catch and run outside but at USC he was a north/south power runner, look at the highlights. This guy threw up in camp and that's what everyone remembers, nevermind that he's already established himself as one of the best KR's in the league. I'm glad we finally got an OC that can utilize a weapon like McKnight. course, they gotta teach him to hold on to that ball.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 05-21-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Practice Squad
    I think MM offense fits McKnight well. If he can catch the ball out of the backfield...(been prone to fumble/drop on ST) then he will be a nightmare for the opposing defense.

Veteran
    I am rooting for Joe but for him to re write his career is unlikely. Sparano, I am guessing did not help his career, if he has something Marty will find it.

The converse is that Pete Carroll coached him in USC, yet he opted to trade for Leon Washington rather than use that pick on a player he knew well, Joe McKnight ... to me that's a vote of no confidence by Carroll.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cablebob View Post
    I think MM offense fits McKnight well. If he can catch the ball out of the backfield...(been prone to fumble/drop on ST) then he will be a nightmare for the opposing defense.
    There is your answer.

If McKnight can't hold on to the ball, he should not touch it. I know he was some great HS recruit, but at some point we have to realize there is a reason he didn't do much in college or as a pro. I hope he goes nuts this year, I hope all the Jets do. Right now he is a quick running back with bad hands.

McNights problem is not running, its blitz pickup. The coaches do not trust him on passing downs.
    If you cant pick up the blitz as an NFL rb, what good are you?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    There is your answer.

If McKnight can't hold on to the ball, he should not touch it. I know he was some great HS recruit, but at some point we have to realize there is a reason he didn't do much in college or as a pro. I hope he goes nuts this year, I hope all the Jets do. Right now he is a quick running back with bad hands.
    If McKnight can't hold onto the ball, he is gone.

If McKnight can hold onto the ball than I think Marty will use him. He wasn't really given a shot last season, he would have a big run then sit the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's one thing about McKnight is that he can fly, he was the number one RB recruit coming out of HS and everyone wanted him, he's no bum, the guy just never gets a chance, he makes a big play then gets shelved for three games, he can catch and run outside but at USC he was a north/south power runner, look at the highlights. This guy threw up in camp and that's what everyone remembers, nevermind that he's already established himself as one of the best KR's in the league. I'm glad we finally got an OC that can utilize a weapon like McKnight. course, they gotta teach him to hold on to that ball.
    Maybe you forgot that he was given a chance to win the 2nd string RB spot in a fair and open competition with Bilal Powell? A chance that he ultimately blew just in the last year? This is to say nothing about the plethora of opportunities he was surely given to prove himself in practices.

You have to make the most of every opportunity you are given even if you view them as "too few".

McKnight has failed miserably in his attempts to become a contributing RB with this team. That's the bottom line up to this point.

And the fact that he is a very good KR IMO is not good enough to reserve a roster spot. That essentially admits that he is very one dimensional because he certainly isn't setting the world on fire as a RB. BTW he was drafted to be a RB, not a KR exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    McNights problem is not running, its blitz pickup. The coaches do not trust him on passing downs.
    If you cant pick up the blitz as an NFL rb, what good are you?
    Lesean mccoy, reggie bush, chris johnson, Rashard Mendenhall and jonathon stewart who all cant pick up the blitz.
    And ADRIAN PETERSON was ranked the 8th worst in pass blocking effeciency the last 3 years on PFF for anyone with over 100 snaps.

Not saying mcknight is as good as any of them at pass blocking, but if you are good enough pass blocking can be overlooked.
    Esp. in an offense with a ton of 3-5 step drops, really just need the Hback to put a hand on a rusher and the ball is already out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Maybe you forgot that he was given a chance to win the 2nd string RB spot in a fair and open competition with Bilal Powell? A chance that he ultimately blew just in the last year? This is to say nothing about the plethora of opportunities he was surely given to prove himself in practices.

You have to make the most of every opportunity you are given even if you view them as "too few".

McKnight has failed miserably in his attempts to become a contributing RB with this team. That's the bottom line up to this point.

And the fact that he is a very good KR IMO is not good enough to reserve a roster spot. That essentially admits that he is very one dimensional because he certainly isn't setting the world on fire as a RB. BTW he was drafted to be a RB, not a KR exclusively.
    You have to consider that McKnight was a terribly bad fit for the offense he was forced to try and suceed in. A weak blocking back , with pass catching skills and speed is the exact opposite of what you want in a G&P offense.

On the other hand his skillset (other than blocking) is very well suited to a WCO and I trust MM will find a way to uiltize this asset. A refreshing approach from the Rex roundhole/square peg approach.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets88NY View Post
    Lesean mccoy, reggie bush, chris johnson, Rashard Mendenhall and jonathon stewart who all cant pick up the blitz.
    And ADRIAN PETERSON was ranked the 8th worst in pass blocking effeciency the last 3 years on PFF for anyone with over 100 snaps.

Not saying mcknight is as good as any of them at pass blocking, but if you are good enough pass blocking can be overlooked.
    Esp. in an offense with a ton of 3-5 step drops, really just need the Hback to put a hand on a rusher and the ball is already out.
    If he could run the ball like Lesean mccoy, reggie bush, chris johnson, Rashard Mendenhall and jonathon stewart we wwould be on to something

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post

McKnight is fast, and he was one of the most touted RB's coming out of HS. The fact is he has underachieved at USC, and he is underachieving with the Jets.

I was happy when the Jets drafted him, but it is up to him. Pure talent can make you a star in HS, it doesn't work that way in the NFL. They all have talent.

Even the bums

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Bingo!

If Marty's plan was to use McKnight more often i dont think they woulda brought in Goodson and Ivory.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    If Marty's plan was to use McKnight more often i dont think they woulda brought in Goodson and Ivory.
    Your right, but that plan may have changed

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen View Post
    Your right, but that plan may have changed
    Oh, no doubt they'll be trying to use McKnight now but only because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. McK will get his chances but IMHO he won't live up to even that low expectation. I hope I'm wrong and he outperforms, same as with Sanchez for that matter, but I have many many doubts.

McKnight is, has been, and remains an underachiever since his USC days. Would have been better off playing CB or safety.

Well we all know MM wasn't in love with Joe otherwise why would he bring in Goodson AND Ivory and we still have powelll who showed some skill as a runner IMO.

So I guess the question here really is: Will Joe McKnight step up to the opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    You have to consider that McKnight was a terribly bad fit for the offense he was forced to try and suceed in. A weak blocking back , with pass catching skills and speed is the exact opposite of what you want in a G&P offense.

On the other hand his skillset (other than blocking) is very well suited to a WCO and I trust MM will find a way to uiltize this asset. A refreshing approach from the Rex roundhole/square peg approach.
    This guy knows football!
    I thought he would be the pass catching back to replace LT, but just never panned out that way. He is quick and can catch the football in a variety of ways (over the shoulder etc) Please dont tell me that Sanchez can't throw to RB's. I dont remember him having this problem when LT was catching the ball or Thomas Jones for that matter.
    If he doesnt emerge as the starting pass catching back (passing situations) in this system I dont think he will ever make it the NFL.