Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WILL MARTY M. UTILIZE McKNIGHT MORE THAN PREVIOUS OC'S ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    You have to consider that McKnight was a terribly bad fit for the offense he was forced to try and suceed in. A weak blocking back , with pass catching skills and speed is the exact opposite of what you want in a G&P offense.

On the other hand his skillset (other than blocking) is very well suited to a WCO and I trust MM will find a way to uiltize this asset. A refreshing approach from the Rex roundhole/square peg approach.
    Once again, you have to make the most out of the opportunities given to you even if you view them as "too few".

Even if he is a bad fit as you say, does that make any difference?

McKnight needs to control the things that he can control. He can't control whether he goes to a team with a clashing offensive philosophy to what his strengths are. So you should stop complaining about it.

But what he can control, are things like holding on to the football or becoming a better RB. That is something he has failed miserably at already.

He'll get his chance in TC, but I doubt he's able to make an impact. He's been in the league now for 4 years and he's never shown anything to believe he is actually improving.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    If Marty's plan was to use McKnight more often i dont think they woulda brought in Goodson and Ivory.
    Why not? Are you going into the season with powell and McKnight as your RBs. And using him more often has to be taken in context. More often does not mean a starter when your were previously not used much at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Once again, you have to make the most out of the opportunities given to you even if you view them as "too few".

Even if he is a bad fit as you say, does that make any difference?

McKnight needs to control the things that he can control. He can't control whether he goes to a team with a clashing offensive philosophy to what his strengths are. So you should stop complaining about it.

But what he can control, are things like holding on to the football or becoming a better RB. That is something he has failed miserably at already.

He'll get his chance in TC, but I doubt he's able to make an impact. He's been in the league now for 4 years and he's never shown anything to believe he is actually improving.
    It would be like getting a job as an accountant and your boss asks you to do engineering work involving calculus. You can give it a shot but its not suited to your skillset.

Rex/Sparano tried to bang square pegs into round holes on offense. If they ran plays to McKnight's skillset you might have seen a different player. Instead the defensive mastermind wants to try him out as a DB .

You say he's been in the league 4 years and hasn't shown anything. I'd counter that Rex has been the HC for 4 years and the offensive creativity and flexibility have been nothing short of abysmal, it was G&P or nothing even when it was clearly evident G&P was not working.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be like getting a job as an accountant and your boss asks you to do engineering work involving calculus. You can give it a shot but its not suited to your skillset.

Rex/Sparano tried to bang square pegs into round holes on offense. If they ran plays to McKnight's skillset you might have seen a different player. Instead the defensive mastermind wants to try him out as a DB .

You say he's been in the league 4 years and hasn't shown anything. I'd counter that Rex has been the HC for 4 years and the offensive creativity and flexibility have been nothing short of abysmal, it was G&P or nothing even when it was clearly evident G&P was not working.
    Oh yeah, Rex is a POS that doesn't know anything about offense. He's constantly trying to fit square pegs in the round holes.

Do you even hear yourself?

Stop pouting. Stop blaming the world for McKnight's blunders. McKnight has been a fumbling machine since coming into the league and that is the biggest reason why he isn't getting as many opportunities as he could have.

And stop trying to say he fumbles because he's been forced into the wrong offensive philosophy. That makes no sense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen View Post
    McKnight is fast, and he was one of the most touted RB's coming out of HS. The fact is he has underachieved at USC, and he is underachieving with the Jets.

I was happy when the Jets drafted him, but it is up to him. Pure talent can make you a star in HS, it doesn't work that way in the NFL. They all have talent.

Even the bums
    WORD

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight has shown very little promise at the NFL level odds are that won't change, but you never know. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    =Joe Mcknight ran a 4.40 flat..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's one thing about McKnight is that he can fly, he was the number one RB recruit coming out of HS and everyone wanted him, he's no bum, the guy just never gets a chance, he makes a big play then gets shelved for three games, he can catch and run outside but at USC he was a north/south power runner, look at the highlights. This guy threw up in camp and that's what everyone remembers, nevermind that he's already established himself as one of the best KR's in the league. I'm glad we finally got an OC that can utilize a weapon like McKnight. course, they gotta teach him to hold on to that ball.

Damn Seagirt, I'm gonna sue you for copyright infringement...lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight might not make Jets. Jets always find their man wen it comes to Kick Returners.. ALWAYS!!!

Morton
    Smith
    Washington
    Jonathan Carter
    Leon Johnson
    Justin Miller

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are we wasting time on McKnight for the 4th offseason in a row following an underwhelming season from him?

Why?

How many Mulligans does he get?

How long are people going to trot out his high school information as though it were in any way relevant to where we are today? HIGH SCHOOL?????

In other news Chad Pennington has been working out, is stronger than ever and is right now throwing laser beams in simulated practice on a field somewhere near you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets hope Goodson's innocent so we can hang onto him and cut bait with Joe

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Oh yeah, Rex is a POS that doesn't know anything about offense. He's constantly trying to fit square pegs in the round holes.

Do you even hear yourself?

Stop pouting. Stop blaming the world for McKnight's blunders. McKnight has been a fumbling machine since coming into the league and that is the biggest reason why he isn't getting as many opportunities as he could have.

And stop trying to say he fumbles because he's been forced into the wrong offensive philosophy. That makes no sense.
    No Rex is not a POS he's a damn good DC that knows nothing about offense.

Where did I blame McKnight's fumbling issue on the wrong offensive philosophy. I'm responding to the McKnight's a JAG what has he done in four years sentiment.

Jet fans have been blaming offensive players since Herm/Mangini/Rex walked through the doors. They're all defensive minded coaches who placed too much emphasis on that side of the ball. When Sanchez/McKnight/Holmes leave the focus will shift to Ivory , Hill, Geno or whoever follows next. At what point do you figure out what the common denominator is . Hiring MM and David Lee is a step in the right direction. Will our illusturous HC allow them to work they're magic or will Rex still pine the the 3-0 shutouts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's certainly a major factor. the jets haven't had a rb who could pick up a blitz since tomlinson. greene couldn't. obviously conner couldn't do it. not sure about powell and mcknight couldn't. hilliard is limited. we'll see if the new guys can.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    McNights problem is not running, its blitz pickup. The coaches do not trust him on passing downs.
    If you cant pick up the blitz as an NFL rb, what good are you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not going to happen. Joe is the epitimty of why this team sucks. Draft guys that just can't play. He can run a kickoff, but that's it. 99% of the players on this team have zero talent. Talent that turns a regular play into a game breaking play, except for Sanchez, and thats usually for the other side.

No qb, wr's, rb's te's and two decent starters on the o line is why this o sucks. It's going to suck for a long time to come.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    =Joe Mcknight ran a 4.40 flat..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's one thing about McKnight is that he can fly, he was the number one RB recruit coming out of HS and everyone wanted him, he's no bum, the guy just never gets a chance, he makes a big play then gets shelved for three games, he can catch and run outside but at USC he was a north/south power runner, look at the highlights. This guy threw up in camp and that's what everyone remembers, nevermind that he's already established himself as one of the best KR's in the league. I'm glad we finally got an OC that can utilize a weapon like McKnight. course, they gotta teach him to hold on to that ball.
    all that you wrote is true. His 27 yards per carry on KRs tells me he has major talent and is NOT an underachiever! Yes he has his detractors here too. All they remember is that he threw up on the first day of camp. WOW! That is darn near FELONY level Mopery With Intent To Gawk! Yet somehow they fail to mention he had a stomach flu per Rex. They never say that he is an excellent KR. Its below their station in life to state the facts other then he threw up.

But what has primarily held McKnight back is his inability to pick up blitzes and weak blocking. Plus REX has always wanted Joe to run through the tackles with power. I am not sure that is his game at all. You said he was a N-S runner in college. I won't argue with you but he has not done that since he was drafted. I do not think he ever ran strictly N-S. Its also easy to be an underachiever in college when compared to the guy who played just before you is an all-time great. Always being compared to REGGIE BUSH did play mind games for McKnight. It wrecked havoc in the kids mind and he suffered fumbling problems that limited his production. If we cut him I bet NE will find a spot for him. Remember WOODHEAD, only McKnight is vastly more talented!

All the other crap is just nonsense re throwing up!

As a side bar if MM uses Joe to catch out of the backfield he will be a valuable weapon for us. I have faith in MM to fully develop McKnight's immense talent. Some guys are willing to go along with Sanchez but not McKnight. Huh?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 05-25-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    all that you wrote is true. His 27 yards per carry on KRs tells me he has major talent and is NOT an underachiever! Yes he has his detractors here too. All they remember is that he threw up on the first day of camp. WOW! That is darn near FELONY level Mopery With Intent To Gawk! Yet somehow they fail to mention he had a stomach flu per Rex. They never say that he is an excellent KR. Its below their station in life to state the facts other then he threw up.

But what has primarily held McKnight back is his inability to pick up blitzes and weak blocking. Plus REX has always wanted Joe to run through the tackles with power. I am not sure that is his game at all. You said he was a N-S runner in college. I won't argue with you but he has not done that since he was drafted. I do not think he ever ran strictly N-S. Its also easy to be an underachiever in college when the guy in front of you is an all-time great and your chances are limited. Then when you did get a chance they always compared you to REGGIE BUSH. It can wreck havoc in a kids mind I'd say. If we cut him I bet NE will find a spot for him. Remember WOODHEAD!

All the other crap is just nonsense re throwing up!

As a side bar if MM uses Joe to catch out of the backfield he will be a valuable weapon for us.
    I've said it before and ill say it again. McKnight has been an underachiever since his USC days.

he routinely turned potential 60yd runs into 16yd carries at USC. He's never lived up to his potential since high school.

I hope he finally does and rushes for 2k. but it doesn't look promising.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 05-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Why are we wasting time on McKnight for the 4th offseason in a row following an underwhelming season from him?

Why?

How many Mulligans does he get?

How long are people going to trot out his high school information as though it were in any way relevant to where we are today? HIGH SCHOOL?????

In other news Chad Pennington has been working out, is stronger than ever and is right now throwing laser beams in simulated practice on a field somewhere near you.
    McKnight was given 30 carries last year - thats it, and yet he had the longest run of any back on our roster.

Now is part of that due to problems with his ball security - yes. Is part of it due to things we may know about (attitude etc) possibly. But ask yourself this - after we lost holmes, combined with hill struggling and the rest of the league running spread offenses did you see us run ONE SINGLE screen pass to mcknight?

Seattle's offense was the toast of the league last year and who were their wide receivers? Sidney Rice and Golden Tate- thats it. But they were successful offensively yes because of much better QB play then we could dream of, but also because they got their guys open in space.

McKnight should make this team and if the ball security issues get fixed should be used in the slot to generate big plays. Clyde Gates should NEVER take a snap away from a player like mcknight....idiot sparano is the only man in the world who thought that was a smart personnel move.

Frankly Id love to see Geno in the shotgun with ivory and goodson in the backfield - kerley and holmes out side and mcknight in the slot. There is a LOT you can do offensively with a QB like Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    McKnight was given 30 carries last year - thats it, and yet he had the longest run of any back on our roster.

Now is part of that due to problems with his ball security - yes. Is part of it due to things we may know about (attitude etc) possibly. But ask yourself this - after we lost holmes, combined with hill struggling and the rest of the league running spread offenses did you see us run ONE SINGLE screen pass to mcknight?

Seattle's offense was the toast of the league last year and who were their wide receivers? Sidney Rice and Golden Tate- thats it. But they were successful offensively yes because of much better QB play then we could dream of, but also because they got their guys open in space.

McKnight should make this team and if the ball security issues get fixed should be used in the slot to generate big plays. Clyde Gates should NEVER take a snap away from a player like mcknight....idiot sparano is the only man in the world who thought that was a smart personnel move.

Frankly Id love to see Geno in the shotgun with ivory and goodson in the backfield - kerley and holmes out side and mcknight in the slot. There is a LOT you can do offensively with a QB like Geno.
    You conveniently forgot about beast mode it's not like Wilson was throwing for 400 yards a game. They had a balanced offense. 8 out of 16 games they (seattle) had more rushing then passing yards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No Rex is not a POS he's a damn good DC that knows nothing about offense.
    I have always wondered how can you have a good defense if you know nothing about offense??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    You conveniently forgot about beast mode it's not like Wilson was throwing for 400 yards a game. They had a balanced offense. 8 out of 16 games they (seattle) had more rushing then passing yards.
    Im not discounting lynch at all, he was a huge part of their success - but what I was trying to say is that you can have a dynamic offense with the receivers we have here already if we get improved QB play and play calling.

We will also get a much improved running game with ivory and powell, who while not of lynch's caliber, should give us the opportunity to have a dynamic offense, even with the WRs we have.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm responding to the McKnight's a JAG what has he done in four years sentiment.
    He IS a JAG. Tale a look at his statistics. In fact, based on his stats, he's less than a JAG.