Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarterback competition could be over before training camp: Marty Mornhinweg

Jets Insider VIP
    Buttfumble6 can invite anybody to his camp after June when he is cut. Except Jet players still on the roster.

He can even invite his biggest supporter on the planet and they can drive around LA in the starter kit leased BMW and do standup shtick on open mic niight at comedy clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    There is no competition. Geno Smith is the starting qb for the 2013 season. And based on what the coaching staff sees through 16 games, they will decide on if he is the future or they have to go QB again in round 1 in 2014.

Anyone who thinks Sanchez is ever taking another snap for the NYJ has just no clue about what this organization is doing.
    I agree. I don't really see how a player that people refer to as buttfumbler can lead an NFL team. I thought that was a joke we made up here on JI but that term is now being used in the papers by all the beat writers. Mark will always be known for the buttfumble. It's his legacy now. I don't see him as a starter for the Jets or any other team.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    wow..... forgot all about you.
    That's because he's usually busy being banned 24/7.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    And MM's point is that he doesn't care what you or I think, he will declare a winner when he is ready to decalre a winner. If that's June 1st or September 1st, he doesn't care.

There are obvious advantages to doing both. Declaring a winner early allows the inevitable starter to get more reps while waiting to declare a winner allows you more time to make the "better" choice.
    Agreed. The question, to me at least, is what's in the best interest of the Jets?

Which approach will set us up better for success?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    +1; but Sanchez is mobile (w/o needing to gain yards) and he's apparently more accurate moving; Sanchez could prove to be a hot hand in practice.

If so, I don't see how you can go to Geno without egg on your face facing the STH.
    With Smith you get egg roll!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    And MM's point is that he doesn't care what you or I think, he will declare a winner when he is ready to decalre a winner. If that's June 1st or September 1st, he doesn't care.

There are obvious advantages to doing both. Declaring a winner early allows the inevitable starter to get more reps while waiting to declare a winner allows you more time to make the "better" choice.
    This!!!!!

The key is that this is a new system and MM knows that the starting QB will have to work hard just to master the system so the quicker there is a decision the better.

See many don't realize that Idzik and company are persons of their word. What refreshing change.

Massive hot air-deflecting from the Jets lack of talent.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Churn and Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    This tells me if Geno shows he is better than Sanchez in the OTA's Marty sees no point in having the charade of splitting the reps when he can give it all to Geno. If on the other hand Sanchez is better you can chalk it up to him getting a head start and the competition will continue into training camp.
    I agree, this actually tells me that Gino will be our starting QB.

Hall Of Fame
    McElroy

He's probably just saying this to motivate the QBs in OTAs. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think what he's saying basically is that Sanchez has to be way ahead of Geno to win the job and he better be way ahead right from the start. If they are anywhere close I think Geno will get the ball. If Geno starts off ahead the competition is over before it started.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yes and yes.

Mark is a free agent next year, he's going to be a choir boy this year.

SAR I
    If Geno beats him out, we are NOT going to pay him to hold a clipboard. He will be gone after June 1

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Buttfumble6 can invite anybody to his camp after June when he is cut. Except Jet players still on the roster.

He can even invite his biggest supporter on the planet and they can drive around LA in the starter kit leased BMW and do standup shtick on open mic niight at comedy clubs
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. DEAD.

Rookie
    There is no competition. Geno Smith is the starting qb for the 2013 season. And based on what the coaching staff sees through 16 games, they will decide on if he is the future or they have to go QB again in round 1 in 2014.

Anyone who thinks Sanchez is ever taking another snap for the NYJ has just no clue about what this organization is doing.
    You really do know your quaterbacks,

Or... Mangold said screw it, kept the ball and started hauling 80 yd passes down the field to Hill... Cracks me up how so many are sure they know the answer based on some non-committal statements in a news story.

The good news is it looks like an exciting pre-season for the first time in a while!

Your thinking is dead on.

All these billionaire owners have massive egos, including ours. None of them will want to be associated with a guy now universally nicknamed "Butt Fumble". Sanchez would get a pass if he actually had talent to succeed at the professional level but the league has seen enough scoreless first halfs, 3 and Outs, Pick 6's, INTs to D linemen, over the last 4 years to know he is not an NFL QB.

I say he doesn't take another snap in NY or anywhere else in the NFL. He has the worst type of "skill set" that you would never want to even see in a backup.