Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarterback competition could be over before training camp: Marty Mornhinweg

Quarterback competition could be over before training camp: Marty Mornhinweg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo....1350287?print

The Jets' ballyhooed quarterback competition may be over before Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith even make it to Cortland, N.Y., for the start of training camp in late July.

While the prevailing thought is that the incumbent and the rookie will square off in a summer-long battle to determine the starter, the Jets braintrust isn't averse to declaring a winner in the coming weeks.

"We don't care what the prevailing thought is," new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told the Daily News about the perception that the quarterback battle will certainly be alive at the start of training camp. "We only care about our competition here."

Mornhinweg is looking for one of his signal callers to separate himself from the pack. "Common sense tells you that you hope it's quick, but this is going to be a full blown competition. Period."

Although there are four quarterbacks on the roster (Sanchez, Smith, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms), Sanchez or Smith will almost certainly win the job.

Mornhinweg wants one of the quarterbacks to distance himself during a critical, but often overlooked stretch of the offseason program that began on Monday. But could someone actually separate himself that much for the Jets brass to declare a winner by mid-June based on 10 OTA practices and three minicamp practices?

"Oh, absolutely," Mornhinweg said. "Sure. Absolutely. That's all part of the process. Absolutely. Everything we do is important. Our meetings are important… the way we go about our meetings, the way we go about our preparation right now with a new system. These are very important things. Every pass we throw out there in OTAs and these practices are important."

Sanchez's experience appears to give him an inherent advantage to seize control of the competition early. Smith, who spent much of his college career in shotgun, has spent a fair amount of time thus far sharpening his skills taking the ball under center with quarterbacks coach David Lee.

"David Lee is working overtime on many things," Mornhinweg said. "But certainly his footwork."

Mornhinweg made it clear that he's not overly concerned with timelines created by people outside the organization. He surely wouldn't call off the "full-blown competition" before training camp begins, right?

"I don't know that… " Mornhinweg said. "We'll see. Really. This thing is going to play itself out. It's going to be our competition… I want to give everybody an opportunity to show their skill and ability and their decision-making and their accuracy and their timing within this system."

Mornhinweg is mindful that the longer the competition lasts, the less time the eventual winner will have to work solely with the first-team offense.

"When you do it this way," Mornhinweg said, "you give up some reps individually for the possible starter if you don't select him quite as quickly."

However, the offensive play-caller isn't going to force the issue to get to a resolution.

"Once a man separates himself, then we'll think about making those choices (of officially naming the starter), but I want a man to separate himself," Mornhinweg said. "If not, we'll keep the competition grinding. That's important. That's important in this situation."

Mornhinweg admitted that naming a starter will be a collaborative decision.

"In any decision we make (regarding) playing time, what role a certain man's going to have, who's the starting quarterback," Mornhinweg said, "It will be discussed thoroughly virtually every day until we make a decision. I suspect that decision will come when we're all in it together. There's no question about that."

To that end, Mornhinweg has formulated a detailed — but flexible — plan through minicamp (June 11-13) to divvy up practice reps for each quarterback that was updated after David Garrard's abrupt decision to retire last week.

"I spent hours on this thing up to date on exactly how we're going to go about each practice," Mornhinweg said. "The staff has spent hours specifically with the first group, the second group, the third group… as well as the quarterback spots."

"It will change and adjust by recent past history," he added. "If there's a man that's had just two consecutive excellent (series), I'm going to give him an opportunity to go with the 1s … and let's see. So, those will be sort of fluid. But (I) certainly have an outline…. Now it may change and it may change very subtly or it may change drastically depending on how the fellas do."

The biggest question, of course, is what the team's decision makers do if Sanchez and Smith play at comparable levels in the coming weeks/months and possibly preseason games?

"I don't get into the stats as much as the production on film," Mornhinweg said. "Some of that depends on what group they have with them and who they're going against. All those things come into play."

"I'm excited about the quarterback situation."

I think a real sleeper in the QB competition this year is Brett Ratliff. Sure he isn't on an NFL roster at the moment, but Idzik will bring him in to replace Garrard. I think he has all the tools and a chance to run away with the job.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    I think a real sleeper in the QB competition this year is Brett Ratliff. Sure he isn't on an NFL roster at the moment, but Idzik will bring him in to replace Garrard. I think he has all the tools and a chance to run away with the job.
    +1

Fake Rah Rah trumps real Rah Rah any day. Don't be a stranger.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    wow..... forgot all about you.

Question - If Sanchez wins the spot early, do you think he does Jets West again? and if he does, does Geno attend?

Jets Insider VIP
    There is no competition. Geno Smith is the starting qb for the 2013 season. And based on what the coaching staff sees through 16 games, they will decide on if he is the future or they have to go QB again in round 1 in 2014.

Anyone who thinks Sanchez is ever taking another snap for the NYJ has just no clue about what this organization is doing.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by E4orBust View Post
    Question - If Sanchez wins the spot early, do you think he does Jets West again? and if he does, does Geno attend?
    Yes and yes.

Mark is a free agent next year, he's going to be a choir boy this year.

SAR I

I love hearing this from MM. Completely ignore all the BS from the Media and do things on your own schedule. May the best man win.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yes and yes.

Mark is a free agent next year, he's going to be a choir boy this year.

SAR I
    He's only a free agent if the Jets cut him. Signed through 2016 I believe.

All Pro
    Naming a starter very early in the competition is an interesting development and strategy. In my mind, it can be interpreted in two ways.

1) At this stage, Sanchez is clearly the better option due to his experience. He's outplaying Geno by a large margin in OTA's and deserves as much time with the #1 team as possible in training camp.

2) Geno is progressing very quickly and demonstrating the skills necessary to start from day 1. He's clearly the future quarterback on this team and should be given as many repetitions as possible to prepare for the start of the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Naming a starter very early in the competition is an interesting development and strategy. In my mind, it can be interpreted in two ways.

1) At this stage, Sanchez is clearly the better option due to his experience. He's outplaying Geno by a large margin in OTA's and deserves as much time with the #1 team as possible in training camp.

2) Geno is progressing very quickly and demonstrating the skills necessary to start from day 1. He's clearly the future quarterback on this team and should be given as many repetitions as possible to prepare for the start of the season.
    I agree, either of those things could be happening. But declaring a QB early isn't the way I would go, personally. To a degree it will deflate the competition. Even worse, let's just say Sanchez is head and shoulders ahead of Smith and MM says, "look, Mark earned it. He has experience and has clearly outplayed Geno Smith. That's not a knock on Geno, he's a rookie who is showing good things but he just isn't quite there yet, like most rookies." What if MM says this in June and then, by August, Geno has really come along and developed? What if Sanchez has leveled off and Geno Smith starts showing his real talents once he's had 3 months to acclimate to the system? Do you demote Mark? Do you open the competition again?

IMO, you don't declare a winner until you get to that first preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I agree, either of those things could be happening. But declaring a QB early isn't the way I would go, personally. To a degree it will deflate the competition. Even worse, let's just say Sanchez is head and shoulders ahead of Smith and MM says, "look, Mark earned it. He has experience and has clearly outplayed Geno Smith. That's not a knock on Geno, he's a rookie who is showing good things but he just isn't quite there yet, like most rookies." What if MM says this in June and then, by August, Geno has really come along and developed? What if Sanchez has leveled off and Geno Smith starts showing his real talents once he's had 3 months to acclimate to the system? Do you demote Mark? Do you open the competition again?

And MM's point is that he doesn't care what you or I think, he will declare a winner when he is ready to decalre a winner. If that's June 1st or September 1st, he doesn't care.

There are obvious advantages to doing both. Declaring a winner early allows the inevitable starter to get more reps while waiting to declare a winner allows you more time to make the "better" choice.

All Pro

I hear what you're saying, but the only way they declare a winner "early" is if Geno wins. Sanchez is the backup plan, the last resort. No chance they're declaring Sanchez the winner unless Geno simply isn't ready by mid-August.

just a question. if idzik's theme song is to promote competition, why would they name a starting qb a month and a half after geno gets drafted? the competition isn't OTAs, it's actual training camp, with both qbs going against the starting D and playing in preseason. not sure what MM is saying, other than in an ideal world it would be good to know the starting qb so he could get the majority of reps in tc.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    There is no competition. Geno Smith is the starting qb for the 2013 season. And based on what the coaching staff sees through 16 games, they will decide on if he is the future or they have to go QB again in round 1 in 2014.

Anyone who thinks Sanchez is ever taking another snap for the NYJ has just no clue about what this organization is doing.
    +1; but Sanchez is mobile (w/o needing to gain yards) and he's apparently more accurate moving; Sanchez could prove to be a hot hand in practice.

If so, I don't see how you can go to Geno without egg on your face facing the STH.

This tells me if Geno shows he is better than Sanchez in the OTA's Marty sees no point in having the charade of splitting the reps when he can give it all to Geno. If on the other hand Sanchez is better you can chalk it up to him getting a head start and the competition will continue into training camp.

sounds as though he wants one quarterback to be getting most of the reps over the summer...that is to say, no quarterback is ready to go....that said, I give the edge to Geno

Hall Of Fame
    They are going to do everything in their power to make sure Geno is the starter.

Idzik picked his QB, his FO staff and he will pick his HC. He is a silent assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They are going to do everything in their power to make sure Geno is the starter.

Idzik picked his QB, his FO staff and he will pick his HC. He is a silent assassin.
    i agree. he seems to be woody's fave now. rex's enabler in tanny is gone.

Basically they are saying that if Geno approaches the offseason OTAs and mini-camps the way they have set out for him, he is the starter. There is no other way to interpret this.