Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 124

Thread: Namath on Smith/Sanchez

  1. #41
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Jets fans we should root for Sanchez having a good season while Geno makes good progress as a rookie. At which point Sanchez has market value that will net us a nice draft pick while Geno takes over the team. Remember SF circa 2012? Smith nets a second round pick? Who would have thought that a few years ago? It's not that complicated.

  2. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Joe Namath is God.
    He's the Mark Rypen or Trent Dilfer of the late 60's.

  3. #43
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    4,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    He's the Mark Rypen or Trent Dilfer of the late 60's.
    ===========================================

    No, not at all, He's a living legend.

    He is a shell of his former self, but his former self was all that +.

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    2,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    As Jets fans we should root for Sanchez having a good season while Geno makes good progress as a rookie. At which point Sanchez has market value that will net us a nice draft pick while Geno takes over the team. Remember SF circa 2012? Smith nets a second round pick? Who would have thought that a few years ago? It's not that complicated.
    This is exactly correct.

  5. #45
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Not sure where you are coming from. If you want to ignore the numbers because they don't support your argument, for example, have you ever seen a quarterback, as a rule, start off games weaker? He is even worse than usual in the first quarter of games, consistently causing us to battle back from behind. And the extraordinary amount of three and outs put immense pressure on our defense. It is time to try something else. His level of play does not warrant him holding onto his job. If he was a fifth round pick and made less money, there is NO chance he would still be considered for a starting job. I was a big Sanchez supporter for a long time, but at a certain point, when he doesn't show you anything, you have to cut bait.
    ...Pressure on D...start of games weaker...Its a team game but when the overwhelming amount of star players (FA and draft picks) are on D it becomes one sided, and that side better perform. Blaming the offense in hindsight after stacking the defense is unfair.
    Jets offensive weapons in the last 2 years who will not play in a starting role on any NFL team this year. Burress, Mason, Schillens, J Hill, Gates, Gilyard, S Hill (if Edwards stays a Jet), Greene, Reuland, Powell, Mcknight
    They will not start because they are JAG's but we fielded these guys and told the offense to score more than 10 points.

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    As Jets fans we should root for Sanchez having a good season while Geno makes good progress as a rookie. At which point Sanchez has market value that will net us a nice draft pick while Geno takes over the team. Remember SF circa 2012? Smith nets a second round pick? Who would have thought that a few years ago? It's not that complicated.
    At what point are you trading Sanchez for this "nice draft pick" in 2013? Trade Deadline is Week 8.

    What "nice pick" do you think Mark will generate after say, 7 weeks of "having a good season" less the fact he was the worst QB in the NFL his first full four seasons combined?

    What makes you think Rex Ryan will want/allow Sanchez to be traded away if he's "having a good season" thru Week 7? His job is also on the line.

    Perhaps it's more reasonable and likely to root for the best player to play, period, hopefulyl Geno Smith, who might have a future here. Perhaps some believe that Sanchez should simply be allowed to leave at seasons end in free agency once his contrct expires, and that, more than Sanchezplaying well in a rebuilding season, is whats best for the championship future of the Jets?

  7. #47
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    LET's REMEMBER:

    The 2-QB system NEVER WORKED.


    I give Sanchez a mulligan for 2012. I lean towards Joe's POV. That said, the J E T S jetsjetsjets are heading for a HUGE QB controversy and better be getting ready to handle it with the same skill they displayed during the draft.


    It sounds like Smith isn't seasoned yet; I like Sanchez to start.

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    LET's REMEMBER:

    The 2-QB system NEVER WORKED.


    I give Sanchez a mulligan for 2012. I lean towards Joe's POV. That said, the J E T S jetsjetsjets are heading for a HUGE QB controversy and better be getting ready to handle it with the same skill they displayed during the draft.


    It sounds like Smith isn't seasoned yet; I like Sanchez to start.
    Me too. Javendon Clowney baby.

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best point he made is that we're not a QB away from anything. The entire team played like ****, virtually every single player on the 53 man roster underachieved and played well below their talent level, with the exception of 4-5 players. Tannenbaum let the talent level slip but Rex has done a horrible job the past two years.

  10. #50
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    We do like Quote Bonanzas here at J.I.

    So much sturm und drang for a guy whom even his most strident, loyal and perenial defender says, regularly and often as it turns out, "sucks" and has only a "30% chance" of ever NOT sucking.

    If even his most dedicated fanboi says this, how exactly can you question drafting the highest rated QB in the draft, in round 2 at that, when the guy who "sucks" isn't even signed for 2014 or beyond anyway?
    I just want Mark to have a chance to show us something. His 30% chance isn't just because he's played badly, it's because of the baggage we've put on him too.

    For a team built on defense and ground game under a one-dimensional head coach who chooses bad coordinators and prospects, Mark Sanchez is problem #5 on the list. We focus way too much on the wrong bad guy here.

    SAR I

  11. #51
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Me too. Javendon Clowney baby.
    Rex is going to have to keep shooting himself in the D*** for that to happen. Morningwhig looks like he can coach (in other places); Rex can coach that D...


    play ball

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    ...Pressure on D...start of games weaker...Its a team game but when the overwhelming amount of star players (FA and draft picks) are on D it becomes one sided, and that side better perform. Blaming the offense in hindsight after stacking the defense is unfair.
    Jets offensive weapons in the last 2 years who will not play in a starting role on any NFL team this year. Burress, Mason, Schillens, J Hill, Gates, Gilyard, S Hill (if Edwards stays a Jet), Greene, Reuland, Powell, Mcknight
    They will not start because they are JAG's but we fielded these guys and told the offense to score more than 10 points.
    This 100%


    People out here don't get the obvious. An offense can't perform with beer guys as your skill players!!!

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Rex is going to have to keep shooting himself in the D*** for that to happen.
    That's true and oddly enough I have a bet with TX that we will still be a top-10 defense but...

    A truly putrid offense may be enough for us to still be terrible despite a good D.

  14. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I just want Mark to have a chance to show us something.
    He doesn't have to show "us" anything.

    He has to show the Staff and the GM something.

    And he's being given that chance.

    So you should be happy.

  15. #55
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    He doesn't have to show "us" anything.

    He has to show the Staff and the GM something.

    And he's being given that chance.

    So you should be happy.
    I am unhappy.

    Our O, unbelievably, is worse than last year. All we're going to learn is if a Bottom 5 offense run by a Top 16 offensive coordinator can produce a .500 record, hardly the litmus needed to validate if Mark's problem is ability or lack of support.

    Just like the HC, the QB is set up to fail, we'll learn nothing and progress nowhere in this miserable season. I don't mind a rebuild; I mind treading water.

    SAR I

  16. #56
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like
    when did Joe start drinking again?

  17. #57
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    This 100%


    People out here don't get the obvious. An offense can't perform with beer guys as your skill players!!!
    Nor with the worst QB in the NFL at QB.

    When Sanchez wildly over or under throws an open man, thats not on the open man.

    When Sanchez sits in the pocket oblivious to pressure, thats not on the O-line.

    When Sanchez constantly throws into the chestof the defender, or puts the ball on the ground eveyr time he's looked at, thats not on the Coaching Staff.

    Hence my problem with the Sanchezitoes. Like Penningtologists before them, they seem to either not see, or to ignore, the personal failures of their favorite QB, and instead try to blame everyone else for why a QB can't hit a WR in stride whe he's open.

    We don't have an O-lie problem and we don't even have an open WR problem. We have a QB who can't run, can't feel pressure, can't avoid pressure, can't hit open guys, and can't hold on to the ball NO MATTER WHO he is paired with on the field.

    We can't yet know what Smith is (and I have my doubts about him tbqh), but I cannot reconcile with people who cann't see Sanchez for what he is after watching all those plays the last 4 years. You have to willfully not see what happened to be able to defend Sanchez in an ongoing manner.

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I am unhappy.
    Shocking.

    Our O, unbelievably, is worse than last year.
    A viewpoint that you and you alone express.

    The majority of fans believe we are better at O-line and RB and equal at WR, while worsening at TE.

    All we're going to learn is if a Bottom 5 offense run by a Top 16 offensive coordinator can produce a .500 record, hardly the litmus needed to validate if Mark's problem is ability or lack of support.
    Too bad. Because this is his opportunity. He can take it or he can leave.

    I don't mind a rebuild; I mind treading water.

    SAR I
    A rebuild IS treading water, at least at the start.

    And it's not a rebuild when you don't replace the worst player on the team.

    That's Mark Sanchez.

  19. #59
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    At what point are you trading Sanchez for this "nice draft pick" in 2013? Trade Deadline is Week 8.

    What "nice pick" do you think Mark will generate after say, 7 weeks of "having a good season" less the fact he was the worst QB in the NFL his first full four seasons combined?

    What makes you think Rex Ryan will want/allow Sanchez to be traded away if he's "having a good season" thru Week 7? His job is also on the line.

    Perhaps it's more reasonable and likely to root for the best player to play, period, hopefulyl Geno Smith, who might have a future here. Perhaps some believe that Sanchez should simply be allowed to leave at seasons end in free agency once his contrct expires, and that, more than Sanchezplaying well in a rebuilding season, is whats best for the championship future of the Jets?
    1) After the season and before the 2014 draft
    2) See number 1 - plus Rex is not in charge, Idzik is.

    Do I think Sanchez is a good QB? No, but that's not important. I simply hope he has a good season and becomes a valuable asset worth something to other teams. I would have never thought Alex Smith would become a decent QB and net a # 2 pick a few years ago.

  20. #60
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    1) After the season and before the 2014 draft
    Interesting, so you think he'll not only play well, but play well all season long? And after proving every doubter wrong....we'll trade him away?

    Do I think Sanchez is a good QB? No, but that's not important.
    If you're postulating the scaranio you did, yeah, it kinda does matter.

    I simply hope he has a good season and becomes a valuable asset worth something to other teams.
    I don't disagree.

    I just don't see a situation where Sanchez plays well enough to prove all his doubters wrong, plays well all season long, is under contract, and the Jets then immediately trade him away.

    Seems a little counter-intuitive to me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us