Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Namath on Smith/Sanchez

All League

Namath on Smith/Sanchez

Not sure if posted.

Joe Namath says NY Jets wasted a draft pick on quarterback Geno Smith

Joe Namath calls Gang Green’s prized rookie QB Geno Smith a “sensational athlete” with “good size.” And Namath also thinks drafting Smith was unnecessary. “No, I don’t think they needed a quarterback,” Namath said at the United Way’s 20th annual Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel on Tuesday. “They needed the other positions filled. Possibly offensive line. They got some defensive line. The safeties are still questionable. The outside linebackers are still questionable.”
    To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has struggled in the last two seasons. But Namath attributed that to “distractions.”
    “I am pulling for him,” Namath said of Sanchez. “I know that he can do better than he’s done. And we saw him lead a team to two AFC championship games, right? I also know what it’s like not to necessarily have the weapons you’d like to have, not to necessarily have the time you’d like to accomplish.”

Namath said just a handful of Jets got a “passing grade” last season, naming linemen D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and safeties Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry as players who did play up to expectations. The others, he seemed to say, didn’t help Sanchez last year. But Namath expects Sanchez to help himself, whether he does so as a Jet, or in another NFL uniform.
    “I know it’s a team game and I know Sanchez is going to play better,” Namath added. “I promise you you’ll see a different guy (this year). I believe you’ll see a different guy.
    “Mark’s not a puppy anymore,” he added. “He’s gone through some things, growing process. As far as Sanchez goes, even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to. He’s that good. As long as he wants to, he’s going to be in the NFL.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2U1Xkc31T

All League

Namath: Sanchez will play better

Namath: Sanchez will play better
    By HOWIE KUSSOY

Mark Sanchez’s descent into one of the least efficient quarterbacks in the NFL hasn’t changed the way the standard for all quarterbacks in the Jets franchise — Joe Namath — views his capabilities.

The Hall of Famer said he still thinks Sanchez is the quarterback who led the team to back-to-back AFC championship games and is confident that will be seen again, now that the Tim Tebow sideshow has left town.

“I know that Sanchez is going to play better,” Namath said last night at the 20th annual Gridiron Gala, which supports the United Way. “He went through some major distractions last year. No matter how much you say, ‘It doesn’t bother me, that’s not a focus-breaker,’ bull. I promise you you’ll see a different guy this year.

Hall of Famer Joe Namath believes Mark Sanchez will play better this season because he won’t have to deal with the Tim Tebow distraction.

Joe Namath
    “Mark’s not a puppy anymore. What he went through last year I think will only make him stronger. As far as Sanchez goes, even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to. He’s that good. He’ll get another job. As long as he stays healthy, he’s going to stay in the NFL.”

If Sanchez stays with the Jets, he could face the same problems Namath thinks plagued him during last year’s 6-10 season — his teammates.

“I keep stressing it’s a team game and if you look at how the overall team played last season, I don’t know who got a passing grade.” said Namath, before reeling off a few bright spots on the offensive line and secondary. “I know what he can do is better than what he’s done. I also know what it’s like to not necessarily have the weapons you’d like to have, not to necessarily have the time you’d like to get something accomplished as a passer.”

Because of Namath’s belief in Sanchez, he said he didn’t think the Jets needed to draft a quarterback last month, but the Jets legend felt confident Geno Smith would be a good fit — on the field and off — if he beat Sanchez out as the starter.

“From what I’ve heard from his coaches in college, they think a great deal of him, so that carries more weight than any of the rumors you might hear,” Namath said. “I have watched him for the past four years. He’s a sensational athlete, good size, [but] he’s got to fill out a bit. He’s a little bit lean to get out with the big men.

“If Geno beats [Sanchez] out at training camp, he deserves to start, [but] I don’t know that the deserving guy always gets to start. The contract speaks for itself sometimes.”

I'm not saying that Namath isn't wrong with his opinion of what positions the team needs, but it's as if he didn't watch Sanchez play at all last year.

If MS plays better, you can't say that GS was a wasted pick. The competition, and fact that no job is safe now could help get the kid's head straight.

Namath says things that are obvious. He also always seems to have opinions that are contrary to what the front office does AFTER the decisions have been made. He has this whole "I know what's good for the team" thing going that's old at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Well then.... Sanchez it is! And he will be better now because you know he is no longer a puppy.

Thanks Joe!

Jets Insider VIP
    Joe has always been a Sanchez fan. After watching him last year, I cant understand why he still believes in him.

Hall Of Fame
    Did Namath ever use the words "wasted" or "unnecessary"? IMO the writer/editor took some liberties by using those terms.

Namath said his opinion was that the Jets didn't need a QB. I happen to disagree but that is a fair opinion to have. The title makes it look like he is bashing the Jets which he is not.

And I do find Joe's loyalty towards Sanchez a bit odd considering how Sanchez basically slapped him in the face on Hard Knocks.

Sometimes I wish Joe would just shut the hell up already. His comments just create more fuel for the media to keep the circus theme rolling, not to mention not supporting our new QB.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Did Namath ever use the words "wasted" or "unnecessary"? IMO the writer/editor took some liberties by using those terms.

Namath said his opinion was that the Jets didn't need a QB. I happen to disagree but that is a fair opinion to have. The title makes it look like he is bashing the Jets which he is not.

And I do find Joe's loyalty towards Sanchez a bit odd considering how Sanchez basically slapped him in the face on Hard Knocks.
    +1 I was gonna post what you said, but I hadda help a damn customer.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Joe has always been a Sanchez fan. After watching his WR's last year, I can understand why he still believes in him.
    farging fixed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ah wanna keess you, Marky

Speaking of wasted, Joey needs to keep doing as many of these paid interview gigs with hacks until that bigdog Michael Kay/Don Lagreca weekly drinking money gig kicks in in August

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I got fed up with Mark the last 2 seasons also and started calling him Suckchez. I don't know if he'll ever be a good QB, but I know I have seen him play well. A bunch of 4th quarter come backs and three overtime games showed what he was capable of. Playing well in the playoffs. What happened to that guy?

When he was drafted, Tony Pauline said that Mark was capable of succeeding in a lot of NFL systems. Unfortunately, the Jets' system was not one of them. I know he is still young, strong and healthy, it will be interesting to see him play in the pre-season. I cannot wait to see MM's offense no matter who is the QB. Imagine seeing screen passes!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    +1 I was gonna post what you said, but I hadda help a damn customer.
    Customers come first.

Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Sometimes I wish Joe would just shut the hell up already. His comments just create more fuel for the media to keep the circus theme rolling, not to mention not supporting our new QB.
    If Joe actually endorsed Geno Smith and bashed Suckchez like all of us are doing, we'd be PRAISING THE HELL out of him for adding his two cents.

But because he has an OPINION that is Opposite to the prevailing masses here, his opinion is garbage and he's drunk and he's..blahblahblah...more complaining....blahblahblah....

I want Geno to start but I also value Joe's "OPINION" rather highly these days. Now maybe he's just pumping up Mark a bit to make him feel better, I'm not sure.....but suffice it to say, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Mark(should he see the field) would have a bounce-back season(or at the very least, not play like crap).

All that said, however, I will not be pleased if Geno doesn't start.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Because this article will set the media out to get the Jets.

Sucks that Joe isn't a SOJF and understand the paranoia, living in constant fear.

This. Plus he is a moron. We don't need a QB? Even the biggest supporter of Sanchez would agree that we need more QB competition. What if Sanchez gets hurt or implodes again do we go with noodle arm Mcleroy?

Even the Patriots "wasted" a 3rd round pick a couple of years ago on Mallett. An even better example are the Niners who had Alex Smith (a former first round QB that hadn't lived up to potential, much like Sanchez) and they snagged Kaepernick in the 2nd round. And lets not forget Seattle that invested a decent amount in Matt Flynn and then "wasted" a 3rd round pick on Russell Wilson.

Jets Insider VIP

THIS is a very fair assessment.

Joe is doing and saying things to stay in the press as the Jets authority. His act like his knees needs to be replaced. Instead of implying the Idzik made some odd choices for what HE seemed to think the Jets needed, he simply could've said "MS will win the QB battle IMO and prove his worth to the Jets and the NFL". The weapons or lack there of is the same for all the QBs on this team the Jets addressed O-line and seem to have a building plan for the future

The reporter certainly made it seem as if Namath was bashing Geno a bit, which was certainly not the case, but Namath was saying that the Jets wasted the pick when they already had Sanchez. That statement is still absolutely ludicrous.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Current Jets with big mouths and Twitter accounts never said a negative word about Mark Sanchez.

Current leaders like Antonio Cromartie defend Mark Sanchez on the grounds of no support around him.

Hall Of Famers like Joe Namath praise Mark Sanchez and blast the Jets FO for lack of offensive focus and scapegoating someone who wasn't much worse than 20 other starters.

Supposedly-loyal Jets fans on a fanboy forum continue to show their ignorance despite all evidence to the contrary of their paltry beliefs from people who actually are involved with the Jets organization.

SAR I

Another case of a person wishing that they could warp reality. How anyone in the whole world could look at Sanchez as a good long term viable starter is totally beyond me. Will he be better this year? Yes I think so. I think he is going to start day one as a matter of fact. He's still simply not good enough. His one and only hope to at least be a serviceable guy is for the light to go on and for him to cut his turnovers by a half to 2/3 of what they were.