Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Namath on Smith/Sanchez

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I don't THINK Sanchez will play well - I HOPE he does. Big difference.

And no it doesn't matter what I think. I'm not debating how good or bad he is. I am attempting to point out what is best for the team.

I am rooting for him to do well - this way he becomes an asset for our team or another. If he does poorly then he is worth nothing to the Jets or any other team. Simple as that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I am unhappy.

Our O, unbelievably, is worse than last year. All we're going to learn is if a Bottom 5 offense run by a Top 16 offensive coordinator can produce a .500 record, hardly the litmus needed to validate if Mark's problem is ability or lack of support.

Just like the HC, the QB is set up to fail, we'll learn nothing and progress nowhere in this miserable season. I don't mind a rebuild; I mind treading water.

SAR I
    Stop whining

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
    Stop whining
    Stop posting.

After all, your 3 contributions a month would be terribly missed.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Stop posting.

After all, your 3 contributions a month would be terribly missed.

SAR I
    Are you suggesting that more posts = better poster?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Nor with the worst QB in the NFL at QB.

When Sanchez wildly over or under throws an open man, thats not on the open man.

When Sanchez sits in the pocket oblivious to pressure, thats not on the O-line.

When Sanchez constantly throws into the chestof the defender, or puts the ball on the ground eveyr time he's looked at, thats not on the Coaching Staff.

Hence my problem with the Sanchezitoes. Like Penningtologists before them, they seem to either not see, or to ignore, the personal failures of their favorite QB, and instead try to blame everyone else for why a QB can't hit a WR in stride whe he's open.

We don't have an O-lie problem and we don't even have an open WR problem. We have a QB who can't run, can't feel pressure, can't avoid pressure, can't hit open guys, and can't hold on to the ball NO MATTER WHO he is paired with on the field.

We can't yet know what Smith is (and I have my doubts about him tbqh), but I cannot reconcile with people who cann't see Sanchez for what he is after watching all those plays the last 4 years. You have to willfully not see what happened to be able to defend Sanchez in an ongoing manner.
    First I am an extremely big fan of yours and your posts.

I am not a Sanchez apologist or anything else. I am however a big fan if the NYJs.

And the flaws that I bring up about the OL, WRs or coaching staff are concerns I have had about the way the Jets had been run since Mangini was here.

The issue isn't Sanchez.

The issue was do the Jets have a comprehensive plan to build an offensive scheme around their QB either Smith or whomever. Getting poorer and poorer skilled positions in the offensive side and somehow expecting superior offensive performance on offensel never made any sense to me and was proven to be a stupid approach.

I feel that the Jets were listening to their own hype way to much. Who called Sanchez the Franchise? Sanchez didn't?

A player comes in as the starting QB with one year college experience and the Jets expect him to perform at the level of a HOF QB (Farve)?

This is planning? You bank in this if you are the Jets?

The Jets have been this way for 40 years.

IMO it is winning time and I don't believe that need have anything to do with Mark Sanchez. I just want everyone starting right now to be on a level playing field and for the jets to have a plan fo r the QBs protection and development no matter who that player may be!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nor with the worst QB in the NFL at QB.

When Sanchez wildly over or under throws an open man, thats not on the open man.

When Sanchez sits in the pocket oblivious to pressure, thats not on the O-line.

When Sanchez constantly throws into the chestof the defender, or puts the ball on the ground eveyr time he's looked at, thats not on the Coaching Staff.

Hence my problem with the Sanchezitoes. Like Penningtologists before them, they seem to either not see, or to ignore, the personal failures of their favorite QB, and instead try to blame everyone else for why a QB can't hit a WR in stride whe he's open.

We don't have an O-lie problem and we don't even have an open WR problem. We have a QB who can't run, can't feel pressure, can't avoid pressure, can't hit open guys, and can't hold on to the ball NO MATTER WHO he is paired with on the field.

We can't yet know what Smith is (and I have my doubts about him tbqh), but I cannot reconcile with people who cann't see Sanchez for what he is after watching all those plays the last 4 years. You have to willfully not see what happened to be able to defend Sanchez in an ongoing manner.
    spot on, spot on

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This whole deal is a mess, which is why losing Gerrard is such a blow to this team. Having a QB in camp who can honestly and fairly beat Mark and every other QB in camp, was just what this club needed. It would have ended this controversy once and for all. In the end Mark Sanchez is going to tear this franchise apart. Players, fans are going to take sides, it is already begun and will just continue to get worst. If Mark becomes the starter and has a year even near as bad as the last two, home games are going to be a nightmare.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Namath nailed it

Good job Joe!

Everything he said was true, especially about Sanchez, it's too bad many fans don't realize this.

I do disagree with his opinion that we shouldn't have drafted Smith, it was a pick that fell in their laps, it was the right pick, and the team should protect itself if Sanchez can't bounce back.

Agree,for once I think he makes a lot of sense.Not sure he even meant it as we shouldn't have drafted Smith but more that he was totally endorsing Sanchez.

I'm concerned we didn't address WR or OLB in the draft,as is Namath and I genuinely believe Sanchez will end up having a successful career I much the same way Vinny overcame an adverse career beginning to end up highly regarded.....Might not be with us though!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    In the end Mark Sanchez is going to tear this franchise apart. Players, fans are going to take sides, it is already begun and will just continue to get worst. If Mark becomes the starter and has a year even near as bad as the last two, home games are going to be a nightmare.
    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Lol.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez sucks. On the NY Jets.

I honestly still think if you gave Mark a tailor made system with two legitimate targets and pass catching running back like Ray Rice he'd be able to get us in the playoffs every year.

So not only does Mark Sanchez suck but the Jets FO suck too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    First I am an extremely big fan of yours and your posts.
    Thank you. Thats very kind.

I am not a Sanchez apologist or anything else. I am however a big fan if the NYJs.
    Which, all thigs considered, I'd say all f us here are. We may disagree on X or Y, but if you're here (speaking generally) all day posting Jets, you're clearly a passionate dedicated fan.

Unless you're a Pats Fan. Or a Troll. But they're rare.

And the flaws that I bring up about the OL, WRs or coaching staff are concerns I have had about the way the Jets had been run since Mangini was here.
    The concerns are not invalidated just because Sanchez has been horrible.

Far too often, we fans get into "either/or" arguments, when the truth is usually somewhere in between and includesboth problems.

I say Sanchez is horrible and needs replaced. You, or SAR, or others may say "no, our O-line and WR's and E's are horrible and need upgrading".

Truth is, we're both right. Sanchez has done nothign with th talent he was provided, talent that would (with an average or better QB) shine brighter.

Brighter.....but no bright per se. The WR's are middling, Holmes is a derp, Hill a droper and Kerley (IMO) the best of teh group just underutilized. If we HAD a great QB, we'd want to replce Holmes no question, demand Hill improve or else, and maybe keep Kerley.....the guy behind them, nobodies to this point.

So it's a bit of both. We do not have all-pro WR's who can overcome Sanchez's deficientcies. But Sanchez simply does not make what little talent around him hehas better. He makes them worse

The issue was do the Jets have a comprehensive plan to build an offensive scheme around their QB either Smith or whomever. Getting poorer and poorer skilled positions in the offensive side
    As I said to SAR, we're simply not poorer.

Idzik improved the O-line and RB position materially on-paper (all we have to jdge it by to this point).

WR is the same. TE weaker due to the loss of the injury-prone Keller.

What we lose at TE, we should gain in RB in the passing game, and the running game should be superior.

We are better. On-paper. We won't know if paper is lying to us till they play games that count.

and somehow expecting superior offensive performance on the of the ball never made any sense to me and was proven to be a stupid approach.
    I expect average. Not superior. Sanchez should eb average.

Thus far, he isn't. He is the worst in the NFL in his 4 years. Dead last.

I feel that the Jets were listening to their own hype way to much. Who called Sanchez the Franchise? Sanchez didn't?
    Despite what Bellichek's imageconsultants want you to think, teams don't win by being humble. They win with Tom Brady at QB, not Mark Sanchez.

A player comes in as the starting QB with one year college experience and expect him to perform at the level of a HOF QB?
    Over four years, I xpect an average (ranked 15th or so) level from a QB drafted inthe top 6 in the first round.

Sanchez was dead last last year.

This is planning? You bank in this?

The Jets have been this way for 40 years. IMO it is winning time and I don't believe that need have anything to do with Mark Sanchez
    I don't bank on anything when it comes to the Jets.

But I believe, based on my own viewing of every play of his career, that Sanchz is not good, is not getting better, has not developed, and has in fact gotten worse.

Inaccuracy, mobillity, presence, ball handling. He is just not good in any of these areas.

Worse, he lacks leadership and confidence, and it shows. He pouts. He sits alone. He doesn't demand better from his players. He can't....because far too often, the mistake made that turns it over, kills a drive, etc. was made not by his support, but by him, personally.

I don't have any ill will for Mark Sanchez. If I could magicly make him Dan Marino, I would, seems like a decent, if a bit "Hollywood", kid.

But combine all the factors, and he's just not a winner. Letting the excitement and enjoyment fo those two playoff runs fool us over four full horrific regular seasons is a mistake. However good e was in those games, he's far more bad during the seasons and was literally carried to those playoff games by the Running and D those years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    So not only does Mark Sanchez suck but the Jets FO suck too.
    Who needs all my bloviation, when this so perfectly and simply says it all tbqh.

+1, well said.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who needs all my bloviation, when this so perfectly and simply says it all tbqh.

+1, well said.
    How is someone like you, with only a handful of posts, so erudite?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Namath nailed it
    With the exception of Suzy Namath nailed everything.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Agree,for once I think he makes a lot of sense.Not sure he even meant it as we shouldn't have drafted Smith but more that he was totally endorsing Sanchez.

I'm concerned we didn't address WR or OLB in the draft,as is Namath and I genuinely believe Sanchez will end up having a successful career I much the same way Vinny overcame an adverse career beginning to end up highly regarded.....Might not be with us though!
    Sanchez may or may not be a moderately successful QB in the NFL. Make no mistake Vinny with all of his issues had way more natural talent than Mark has. They aren't in the same zip code as far as ceilings.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Long have I lain silent, absorbing the collective perspicacity, the very sapere aude of J.I. veterans such as yourself and others.

Only then was I able to contribute my meager ramblings to this community of dedicated Jets Fans.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Violent Conflict + Animal w/Fins = _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    With the exception of Suzy Namath nailed everything.
    Maybe she did everything else but kiss him..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Maybe she did everything else but kiss him..