Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 124

Thread: Namath on Smith/Sanchez

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Another case of a person wishing that they could warp reality. How anyone in the whole world could look at Sanchez as a good long term viable starter is totally beyond me. Will he be better this year? Yes I think so. I think he is going to start day one as a matter of fact. He's still simply not good enough. His one and only hope to at least be a serviceable guy is for the light to go on and for him to cut his turnovers by a half to 2/3 of what they were.
    in the end i think too much false hope/optimism stems from his lofty draft position. if he'd been a 3rd rounder and performed as he has the past 4 years, most of his lingering supporters would likely be gone.

  2. #22
    Mark Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the NFL over the past four years combined.

    He is proven inaccurate, immoble with poor awareness, and is a veritable turnover machine. None of these failings involve his teammates, they are purely his own talent and skills or lack thereof.

    In the quoted and repeatedly uttered words of his most strident defender here at J.I. "Mark Sanchez Sucks".

    With that said, in year #5 of his career, he has an absolute fair chance to win the #1 QB job, despite his doubters amongst the fans and almost the entire professional sports media, and can keep it via his own play if he's good enough.

    I say good, competition is a good thing and every player should face it, especially the worst QB in the NFL for the last 4 years. If Sanchez wins the job on the field legitimately, fine, best of luck to him. Thats as it should be.

    The best player playing the best should play, period. At least now the competition isn't a 95 year old guy (Gerrard) or a no-chance longshot (McEljoke) or a gimmick RB (Tebow). Smith, if nothing else, should be a legitimate competitor to Sanchez.

    With that said, anyone (including Joe) questioning why the Jets would select the highest rated QB in the draft when he fell to them in round #2 and they currently have no starting quality QB under contract for 2014 is, IMO, being consciously ignorant of how NFL teams plan for their future.
    Last edited by Churchill; 05-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Joe has always been a Sanchez fan. After watching him last year, I cant understand why he still believes in him.
    He started drinking again thats why. I love Joe Namath but some of the **** he says sometimes is complete non sense.

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Current Jets with big mouths and Twitter accounts never said a negative word about Mark Sanchez.

    Current leaders like Antonio Cromartie defend Mark Sanchez on the grounds of no support around him.

    Hall Of Famers like Joe Namath praise Mark Sanchez and blast the Jets FO for lack of offensive focus and scapegoating someone who wasn't much worse than 20 other starters.

    Supposedly-loyal Jets fans on a fanboy forum continue to show their ignorance despite all evidence to the contrary of their paltry beliefs from people who actually are involved with the Jets organization.

    SAR I
    Do you really expect his teammates to bash him? Same Ol Shtick

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,949
    Aside from the first game against Buffalo last season, Mark Sanchez has been a complete and utter disaster since Week 14 of the 2011 season. He's a mentally broken, inaccurate, and unaware turnover machine.

    Quarterback was by far the biggest need on this team going into the draft. It is completely asinine to argue that drafting the consensus top rated quarterback in this year's draft was a mistake. This is an extremely poor football analysis by Joe Namath.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Not sure if posted.

    Joe Namath says NY Jets wasted a draft pick on quarterback Geno Smith


    Joe Namath calls Gang Green’s prized rookie QB Geno Smith a “sensational athlete” with “good size.” And Namath also thinks drafting Smith was unnecessary. “No, I don’t think they needed a quarterback,” Namath said at the United Way’s 20th annual Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel on Tuesday. “They needed the other positions filled. Possibly offensive line. They got some defensive line. The safeties are still questionable. The outside linebackers are still questionable.”
    To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has struggled in the last two seasons. But Namath attributed that to “distractions.”
    “I am pulling for him,” Namath said of Sanchez. “I know that he can do better than he’s done. And we saw him lead a team to two AFC championship games, right? I also know what it’s like not to necessarily have the weapons you’d like to have, not to necessarily have the time you’d like to accomplish.”



    Namath said just a handful of Jets got a “passing grade” last season, naming linemen D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and safeties Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry as players who did play up to expectations. The others, he seemed to say, didn’t help Sanchez last year. But Namath expects Sanchez to help himself, whether he does so as a Jet, or in another NFL uniform.
    “I know it’s a team game and I know Sanchez is going to play better,” Namath added. “I promise you you’ll see a different guy (this year). I believe you’ll see a different guy.
    “Mark’s not a puppy anymore,” he added. “He’s gone through some things, growing process. As far as Sanchez goes, even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to. He’s that good. As long as he wants to, he’s going to be in the NFL.”


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2U1Xkc31T
    I love Joe but he loses a lot of credibility with this one.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Mark Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the NFL over the past four years combined.

    He is proven inaccurate, immoble with poor awareness, and is a veritable turnover machine. None of these failings involve his teammates, they are purely his own talent and skills or lack thereof.

    In the quoted and repeatedly uttered words of his most strident defender here at J.I. "Mark Sanchez Sucks".

    With that said, in year #5 of his career, he has an absolute fair chance to win the #1 QB job, despite his doubters amongst the fans and almost the entire professional sports media, and can keep it via his own play if he's good enough.

    I say good, competition is a good thing and every player should face it, especially the worst QB in the NFL for the last 4 years. If Sanchez wins the job on the field legitimately, fine, best of luck to him. Thats as it should be.

    The best player playing the best should play, period. At least now the competition isn't a 95 year old guy (Gerrard) or a no-chance longshot (McEljoke) or a gimmick RB (Tebow). Smith, if nothing else, should be a legitimate competitor to Sanchez.

    With that said, anyone (including Joe) questioning why the Jets would select the highest rated QB in the draft when he fell to them in round #2 and they currently have no starting quality QB under contract for 2014 is, IMO, being consciously ignorant of how NFL teams plan for their future.
    I am done with Mark. He has had an awfully long time to show what he has and what he has shown is he is just about the worst starting QB in the league. I honestly feel that McElroy would do better with the West Coast Offense than Sanchez would. If Sanchez "earns" the starting job I am going to have to figure out something else to do on Sundays because I have enough exasperation in my life.

  8. #28
    Namath nailed it

    Good job Joe!

    Everything he said was true, especially about Sanchez, it's too bad many fans don't realize this.

    I do disagree with his opinion that we shouldn't have drafted Smith, it was a pick that fell in their laps, it was the right pick, and the team should protect itself if Sanchez can't bounce back.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,311
    IMO Namath's position is the correct one. However it doesnt mean that Sanchez will perform as he is capable of.

    Folks may lambast Namath but he knows the QB position that is for sure.

  10. #30
    These kind of situations are why losing David Gerrard was such a deep blow to this team. These controversies will continue as long as Mark remains a NYJet , which is why we might have eaten the last year of his contract and cut him June 1. That was providing we had David, GMac and Geno lined up and ready to roll
    Honestly I don't know what they will do now.Mark seems to have the luck of the Irish, avoiding the Manning trade last year and now David leaving the team this year. Seems anytime the Jets get someone who can actually push him to the bench, it does not work out.
    I will be interested to see if the Jets try and use a draft pick to pick up a QB versed in Marty's system an with starters experience to continue what they wanted to do with David.
    The only saving grace in all of the is, if they are forced to start Mark and the season goes as expected, there will be no more questions, he will be released outright and the nightmare will finally be over.
    Geno will be allowed to come in at some point when it is clear that Mark will always be Mark and no amount of wishing and hoping is going to make him the QB we all wanted him to be

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    IMO Namath's position is the correct one. However it doesnt mean that Sanchez will perform as he is capable of.

    Folks may lambast Namath but he knows the QB position that is for sure.
    With all due respect, "capable of" what? He has consistently been one of the worst QBs in the league. You really can't argue with the numbers. And that was true even in his first two years when the team did well.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,311
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    With all due respect, "capable of" what? He has consistently been one of the worst QBs in the league. You really can't argue with the numbers. And that was true even in his first two years when the team did well.
    I suggest you reread why Joe Namath explains what has happened to Mark and why Namath stresses that football, NFL football in particular, is " a team game".

    Despite what folks out here now seem to think to the contrary this is real life and not FF!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.

  13. #33
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Do you really expect his teammates to bash him? Same Ol Shtick
    Why not? They bash everyone else:

    (UPDATED: A quote bonanza, seven more, December 4)

    Before we lose track due to the sheer amount of them, let's maintain a list of the words and actions that the team has taken against itself:

    Namath signals the alarm after Oakland "You keep telling a player how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should."
    Moore made captain halfway through season.
    Ryan says "the stupidest play in NFL history.”
    Schottenheimer says "In reality, Mark kind of got fooled."
    Jacobs "Shut up fat boy."
    Jenkins "When toughest player on team is the coach, you've got problems."
    Santonio implosion in Miami.
    Holmes "I was tapped on the shoulder so I came out."
    Rex "I wasn't aware of the offense, I was focused on the defense."
    Cromartie points finger "talk to the offense".
    Scott flips bird, wants out.
    Sanchez speaks company line.
    Revis "leave me alone, won't talk".
    Rex cries in front of team.
    Cotchery on Santonio "I don't know that guy."
    Rex says "too many captains, that was my big mistake".
    Jenkins "no toughness on this team".
    McElroy "selfish, corrupt, disconnected locker room."
    Tomlinson intimates he's not coming back, needs a win-now team.
    Manish article 'unnamed sources' Sanchez lazy.
    Rex says "out of touch with team".
    Rex says "not going to change, gotta be me."
    Woody "they should be (in turmoil)".
    Mason questions Sanchez.
    Callahan leaves.
    Weeks leaves.
    Schottenheimer resigns.
    Smith "The Maybeast" Intern resigns.
    Higgins resigns.
    Tomlinson "They created this. This is the type of football team that they wanted."
    Tomlinson "Something that happened 3rd or 4th week of season and nobody knew because the players kept it under wraps."
    Tomlinson on Rex: "I would prefer him not to say it (calling out other teams) as much as he did."
    Woody “I don’t think the whole locker room was toxic,”
    Revis “Basically, he didn’t know a lot of things that were going on behind the scenes. It was just so much stuff. I’m really not going to get into it because some of the stuff is real deep. But he didn’t know a lot of the things. He wanted people to say things to him. But obviously it didn’t come out. It came out on the field.”
    Revis “My first thought was, ‘What is going on?"
    Revis "Locker room in disarray right now, it's a circus before, will be more of a circus with Tebow now."
    Unnamed Player “If Sanchez trips (up), then he’ll (Holmes) be on the bench going, ‘Tebow! Tebow!’ like everyone else."
    Holmes (On whether he's the poster boy for Jets dysfunction) "I don't care."
    Weatherford "(Mark Sanchez) isn't maturing as a leader or a player skill-wise, I haven't seen that."
    Revis “It came up in the offseason really, right after the season was over. It was basically what, as a team, could we do better. One of them was conditioning, one of them was focus, and the other one was discipline. And you know, this was a conversation that I think Rex wanted to evaluate himself and see what we could do better as a team.”
    Ryan "I'm getting our top players into a Leadership Camp."
    Ryan "I'm taking our team to a Sleep Specialist."
    Tannenbaum Maybin released.
    Slauson (On Tim Tebow) “It’s not even close,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “He’s terrible,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Do I have to answer that question?”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “We can’t win running that sh--,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Now we’re depending on miracles?”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh-- the bed and become unglued."
    Anonymous (On Mark Sanchez) “Look at some of the players he’s throwing to, it’s garbage.”
    Anonymous (On Mark Sanchez) “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”
    Ryan (On Tim Tebow) "I made it clear he wasn't going to be our starter. He's our punt protector."
    Tannenbaum "We're 3-6. I'm with the team in this building every day."
    Revis "This week has been a tough week for the team. A team like this, with what's been going on this week, a team will fold."
    DeGuglielmo (On Vlad Ducasse) "Platoon at left guard came from high above me."
    Pace "They just don’t understand this organization does everything they can to win games. They bring in great talent, and even better people"
    Revis "Quit talking crazy to the media, especially involving your teammates, I think that's the worst, because when you do that, that's when it really gets divided. Because you don't know if you can trust your other teammate."
    Ed "Society has lost respect for one another."
    Scott "They don't care. They just call us bums. Like they could ever play or can understand the pressure. They are the ones picked last for high school dodge ball, so why explain it?"
    Namath "I believe Mark Sanchez can be a championship quarterback as long as he has the right supporting cast, yes I do."
    Edwards "Don't blame Sanchez. I played there. Blame the idiots calling shots. Mark is a beast and will prove it when given a proper chance."

    SAR I

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    He started drinking again thats why. I love Joe Namath but some of the **** he says sometimes is complete non sense.
    So if he said the opposite, will you still say he was drinking?


    No of course you wouldn't because he is agreeing with the Majority.....

    The thing is, though, that he is not agreeing and that annoys the Majority. How dare he have his own opinion that doesn't jive with the Majority's. The Outrage!

  15. #35
    Anyone who was around when Namath played absolutely loved him. We also no that Joe never let a turnover bother him.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Not sure if posted.

    Joe Namath says NY Jets wasted a draft pick on quarterback Geno Smith


    Joe Namath calls Gang Green’s prized rookie QB Geno Smith a “sensational athlete” with “good size.” And Namath also thinks drafting Smith was unnecessary. “No, I don’t think they needed a quarterback,” Namath said at the United Way’s 20th annual Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel on Tuesday. “They needed the other positions filled. Possibly offensive line. They got some defensive line. The safeties are still questionable. The outside linebackers are still questionable.”
    To Namath, the Jets already had a quality quarterback in embattled starter Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has struggled in the last two seasons. But Namath attributed that to “distractions.”
    “I am pulling for him,” Namath said of Sanchez. “I know that he can do better than he’s done. And we saw him lead a team to two AFC championship games, right? I also know what it’s like not to necessarily have the weapons you’d like to have, not to necessarily have the time you’d like to accomplish.”



    Namath said just a handful of Jets got a “passing grade” last season, naming linemen D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and safeties Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry as players who did play up to expectations. The others, he seemed to say, didn’t help Sanchez last year. But Namath expects Sanchez to help himself, whether he does so as a Jet, or in another NFL uniform.
    “I know it’s a team game and I know Sanchez is going to play better,” Namath added. “I promise you you’ll see a different guy (this year). I believe you’ll see a different guy.
    “Mark’s not a puppy anymore,” he added. “He’s gone through some things, growing process. As far as Sanchez goes, even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to. He’s that good. As long as he wants to, he’s going to be in the NFL.”


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2U1Xkc31T
    I really wonder if this is just fluff on the part of Namath? I question if Sanchez will ever amount to anything, but this is encouraging.

    I really hope he can raise his game and snap into things like Brees did after two seasons of abysmal play. I just doubt it.

    His accuracy issues are really what is killing him the most IMO. If he could just learn how to be more accurate all of his numbers would go up as well his turnovers would go down.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

    (UPDATED: A quote bonanza, seven more, December 4)

    SAR I
    We do like Quote Bonanzas here at J.I.



    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez sucks right now.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I am not apologizing for Mark Sanchez. He sucks right now.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez sucks because Rex Ryan ruined him.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez does suck.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez sucks but he is not our problem.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez is afraid of his own shadow.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez sucks.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Not a stretch at all to say that Mark sucks because of Rex Ryan's lack of coaching and focus on offense.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    He sucks right now
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The more Mark Sanchez sucks, the more perfect he is to lead our team.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez sucks right now.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You want to say that Mark Sanchez isn't a great quarterback and I'll be the first in line to agree with you.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez has been made into a bad quarterback.
    SAR I
    Originally Posted by McGinley
    SAR fully recognizes that Mark sucks. He's not a Sanchez apologist. SAR's point, if I'm correct, was best said by Aaron Eckhart's character in The Dark Knight: "The Joker's just a mad dog. I want whoever let him off the leash."

    We already know that Mark sucks. The point is that we should focus more on the one who LET him suck.
    That is true.
    SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There's a 70% chance that Mark Sanchez sucks and is done.
    SAR I
    Etc.

    Etc.

    Etc.

    So much sturm und drang for a guy whom even his most strident, loyal and perenial defender says, regularly and often as it turns out, "sucks" and has only a "30% chance" of ever NOT sucking.

    If even his most dedicated fanboi says this, how exactly can you question drafting the highest rated QB in the draft, in round 2 at that, when the guy who "sucks" isn't even signed for 2014 or beyond anyway?

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,201
    The only ones I have true sympathy for are the management of whatever besotted company it is that are payimg a salary to the one man Buttfumble6 fan club to post his love, adoration and excuses on a football message board non stop.40 hours every work.week

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,008
    Joe Namath is God.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I suggest you reread why Joe Namath explains what has happened to Mark and why Namath stresses that football, NFL football in particular, is " a team game".

    Despite what folks out here now seem to think to the contrary this is real life and not FF!!!
    Not sure where you are coming from. If you want to ignore the numbers because they don't support your argument, for example, have you ever seen a quarterback, as a rule, start off games weaker? He is even worse than usual in the first quarter of games, consistently causing us to battle back from behind. And the extraordinary amount of three and outs put immense pressure on our defense. It is time to try something else. His level of play does not warrant him holding onto his job. If he was a fifth round pick and made less money, there is NO chance he would still be considered for a starting job. I was a big Sanchez supporter for a long time, but at a certain point, when he doesn't show you anything, you have to cut bait.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us