Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: OTA UPDATES 5/22

I certainly am not praising Mark's performance, but there is something to the fact that I think as fans we know far too little about far too much. This was an OTA that only until recent years wouldn't have even been reported. I think we're all hanging on to every single snap of every single practice like it's gospel. It's one of the first practices with a new offensive coordinator running an entirely new offensive system. I would expect things to look ugly. Now is the time to make mistakes and learn from them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What is boisterous about referring to the title drought? It is a matter of fact. No use in running from it.

Quite frankly I think some older fans have been so beaten down with futility that the scraps of success get overvalued by them and they hold on to them for dear life (ie Rex, Sanchez, AFCCGs) rather than accept the reality that a lot has happened since then, things have change and those moments are gone.
    I think it has more to do with the person's ability to cope with reality..Some love to have something to complain about just like old Met fans that hated it when they started winning..Some people just have that woe is me attitude about life in general and bring that negativity to every part of their life. Sports gives them a great release to let them vent about everything else that bothers them so it serves a purpose I suppose.. I've been a fan since the 1960 Titans and never felt beaten down with futility. I look at every year as a new beginning and judge the team in that light.. And I never thought that I would be a better Owner,GM or HC as many here clearly do..

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I certainly am not praising Mark's performance, but there is something to the fact that I think as fans we know far too little about far too much. This was an OTA that only until recent years wouldn't have even been reported. I think we're all hanging on to every single snap of every single practice like it's gospel. It's one of the first practices with a new offensive coordinator running an entirely new offensive system. I would expect things to look ugly. Now is the time to make mistakes and learn from them.
    i would agree in theory but the overarching problem with sanchez is that there are rarely any bright moments. we're all to ready to write off the bad games, practices, throws, decisions, etc, but there just haven't been enough to come close to balancing it all out. where are the practices in which sanchez goes 11 for 15 with 2 tds and no picks? it never happens.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If things looked great the Chicken Little Brigade would say it means nothing it's just a OTA lets see what happens in a real game.. And they would be right... Of course if it's bad and then it's very meaningful..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If things looked great the Chicken Little Brigade would say it means nothing it's just a OTA lets see what happens in a real game.. And they would be right... Of course if it's bad and then it's very meaningful..
    What is meaningful is Rex's reaction to it. The wind has shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    everyone knows sanchez is gone after this season and the only remaining question after this is whether rex stays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    And that is a good thing..

Hall Of Fame
    I think it has more to do with the person's ability to cope with reality..Some love to have something to complain about just like old Met fans that hated it when they started winning..Some people just have that woe is me attitude about life in general and bring that negativity to every part of their life. Sports gives them a great release to let them vent about everything else that bothers them so it serves a purpose I suppose.. I've been a fan since the 1960 Titans and never felt beaten down with futility. I look at every year as a new beginning and judge the team in that light.. And I never thought that I would be a better Owner,GM or HC as many here clearly do..
    You make some great points. And I do think those apply to some people. I don't think anybody thinks they could do a better job but as fans we question things and the Jets have made some piss-poor decisions over the past couple of years that most fans considered to be obvious bad decisions from the jump (extending Sanchez, Tebow, Sparano, etc).

Most of the unhappy Jets fans I know and have met here seem like they are more upset with how things have occurred the past two years rather than just the record. IMO the "how" matters a lot. And how we went 8-8 and 6-10 is a bitter pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I honestly think that NY fans have become too impatient, and have gained a sense of enititlement because of the long running drought of the team.

Y.
    Sanchez has had FOUR years and has shown he is not capable. That is not impatient.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You make some great points. And I do think those apply to some people. I don't think anybody thinks they could do a better job but as fans we question things and the Jets have made some piss-poor decisions over the past couple of years that most fans considered to be obvious bad decisions from the jump (extending Sanchez, Tebow, Sparano, etc).

Most of the unhappy Jets fans I know and have met here seem like they are more upset with how things have occurred the past two years rather than just the record. IMO the "how" matters a lot. And how we went 8-8 and 6-10 is a bitter pill to swallow.
    In that case If they were alive in the 70's there would be a rash of suicides to deal with in Jetland..

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Sanchez has had FOUR years and has shown he is not capable. That is not impatient.
    Dude, didn't you know? You need at least 8 years to know if he's the guy. I mean, surely he'll turn it on just like Eli did, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I honestly think that NY fans have become too impatient, and have gained a sense of enititlement because of the long running drought of the team.

You look at fans elsewhere in the country, they aren't so quick to rip the team, players, coaches, front office types, etc. NY fans have become arrogant, they think they know better, and excude their "NY arrogance" on to the team and others. Sports talk shows is littered with pompous fans and radio hosts, it has become a vicious cycle. And as a NY area sports fan myself of over 30 years, I have tenure to make this evaluation.

This also certainly doesn't mean we should all be peaches in cream and accept our team's failure, far from it, but when regimes change, coaches change, and players change, fans dont' allow for the process to take place, and they don't factor all the variables that contribute to the struggles of the team. Sometimes, those struggles aren't always becuase of player, coach, etc. And yes, sometimes, a player's struggle is very much due to the influence of ruly fans that make professional athletes who play in NY a very difficult environment to play in. This can be easily seen by comments made from players after playing here. NY isn't for every player, some can handle it better than others, but why should this be the case, why do fans think it's ok to be complete a-holes, even to the athletes face, from the sideline, from the stands, as they come off the field.
    Go and visit a KC Chiefs forum. Or a Chargers forum. Hell, go to a Pats forum, there are "bad fans" running amok all over there as well. They are quick to rip every player and team move just as much as the Jets. Every forum sounds the same. Get off your high horse and stop pretending like Jets fans are some special group of hate-mongering, unappreciative fans. There are just as many "same old browns fans" and "same old jaguars fans" as there are SOJFs. Sorry, you are not special.

Also, there's nothing special about playing QB in a big market in the NFL outside of outside marketing opportunities. Two of the most popular and marketable QBs in recent years have played in Indianapolis and Green Bay.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Dude, didn't you know? You need at least 8 years to know if he's the guy. I mean, surely he'll turn it on just like Eli did, right?

Or in Rich Gannon's case 11 years..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I've been following the Jets since 1973 and I have to say that I feel rather philosophical when it comes to the issue of SB droughts. If the Jets won a SB 20 years ago, I don't think it would make me feel any better or worse about what I was going to experience in the coming year... with sports it's frankly all about the Now. Wins in the past don't help us root for tomorrow's team, and losses in the present don't destroy all hope that with change we will have another shot. If you haven't got some sense of perspective that this is all supposed to be fun and a sport, I feel sorry for you. If you look at it as a financial investment that has to pay off, or a major factor in your personal happiness, you're frankly insane and nobody can help you. Relax, be happy. Good days will come.
    +1

Great post and completely agree with you. This is supposed to be fun.

Are you guys salty that the jets let you down n now you can't talk smack to your giants/dolphins/patriots buddies? Are you feeding into every little word the main stream media has to say about our team (all negative, btw) n it's making you look at our team with some sort of hate?

All in all, it's just a game. Yes, i would be ecstatic if my team won the SB. Yes i would love an all-star, all-pro, world class, can't nobody tell me sh!t cuz i have the best, QB. But we haven't won n we don't have a stud QB. Doesn't mean I'm gonna talk sh!t about my team. It is what it is.

No amount of me *****ing n moaning is gonna change the way the players are put together n coached. I don't see the reason in bashing the team, making fun of the head coach, or making fun of our QB situation like some of you do.

The team sux...so let's talk about how to improve it, not how they keep sucking (boring). The QB has poor mechanics...so let's talk about how he can improve them, not how he sux, his headband (really?) or the women he dates.

Talk about schemes n packages the team could use or personnel they could bring in. Bashing a team for the sake of bashing the team to look n sound smart, does not sound or look smart on us as fans. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet...even if you're already filled with led.

...and i fade back to black.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Go and visit a KC Chiefs forum. Or a Chargers forum. Hell, go to a Pats forum, there are "bad fans" running amok all over there as well. They are quick to rip every player and team move just as much as the Jets. Every forum sounds the same. Get off your high horse and stop pretending like Jets fans are some special group of hate-mongering, unappreciative fans. There are just as many "same old browns fans" and "same old jaguars fans" as there are SOJFs. Sorry, you are not special.
    Does their sports media refer to the Chiefs or Chargers as Same Old Chiefs or Chargers?? The Media in NY uses that because they have seen Jet fans in action like the whining done at the NFL draft.. I've talked to many Fin fans living here in FL and the worst can't compare to a run of the mill SOJF.. On the other hand Eagles fans even boo Santa Claus so they are no better..

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

Man your panties are in a bunch over this. I have not seen one person say Sanchez deserves to start, deserves more time, deserves anything at all for that matter. I think everyone is on board with the idea that the best player plays. The only ones who seem to think otherwise are the ones who say Sanchez should NOT start no matter if he plays better than our other options or not. If Sanchez wins the job, then so be it. If Smith or McElroy or Simms or McGinley wins then that's cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Conversely, some "fans", in order to defend their own personal Sanchez-Christ, have to de facto denounce and deny every other player on the team as bad and sucky.

Those fans don't root for the Jets. They root for Sanchez.

Happened with Pennington too.

I'll be clear, I don't think mark Sanchez is a pro-quality QB, nor do I believe he will prove himself to be going forward.

BUT....if he proves me wrong, and plays great and wins and leads us to the post-season on HIS play, not being carried by the RB and D like he was in years 1 and 2, I'll be the first here to say "I was wrong" and congratulate and thank Sanchez for his toughness in proving his doubters wrong and succeeding.

The Sanchezites.....well, we all know the vast majority of THEM will simply convert to being Smithites if Sanchez fails. After all, they were the same guys who were Pennngtonites before that, and O'Donnelites before that, etc, etc, etc. For every failed QB, they'll be fans who refuse to accept his failure as his own, and will blame everyone else for it.
    i dont understand you dont give him any credit for years one and two but he get all the blame for three and four. be fair year one he was not great but made some plays. year two he won some games for us. year three o line was the worst we had some guy start at center that was just bad and small was thrown around like a rag doll. year 4 o line no help poor play fumbles ints just bad year be fair to him. i think his confidence is gone forever but hope i am wrong

Does their sports media refer to the Chiefs or Chargers as Same Old Chiefs or Chargers?? The Media in NY uses that because they have seen Jet fans in action like the whining done at the NFL draft.. I've talked to many Fin fans living here in FL and the worst can't compare to a run of the mill SOJF.. On the other hand Eagles fans even boo Santa Claus so they are no better..
    There are "terrible" fans on every board and in every stadium... Ray Ray's contention that "you look across the league and don't see people acting like SOJFs" is just blatantly false, EVERY team has b*tchy fans.

Man your panties are in a bunch over this. I have not seen one person say Sanchez deserves to start, deserves more time, deserves anything at all for that matter. I think everyone is on board with the idea that the best player plays. The only ones who seem to think otherwise are the ones who say Sanchez should NOT start no matter if he plays better than our other options or not. If Sanchez wins the job, then so be it. If Smith or McElroy or Simms or McGinley wins then that's cool too.
    McGinley? Mother of God, prepare yourself for 30 TDs/5k yards. I'M READY, COACH.

All League
    +1

exactly what I've been saying...