Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA UPDATES 5/22

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    And I didn't even have to say it! Was to be precisely my response.

Sanchez, AT BEST, would look MAYBE equal to the disaster he was last year, his FOURTH YEAR...
    And you "Gimme Sanchez One More Time" folks think he's gonna just magically be better?!
    This Offense is WAY harder than anything he can possibly handle.
    He is NOT a QB, he NEVER was, and he NEVER will be!
    If you think HE has a chance then you have to say that TEBOW does, too!

Nobody wants Tebow, and NOBODY is gonna want Sanchez! It's done, it's over. And it's NOT EVEN YOUR MONEY!

Idzik knew he had to deal with this deadweight and it's gonna be FINE!
    We made it through Vernon Gholston, did we not?!
    If it's so impossible for him to succeed, then you have nothing to worry about, right? It would make it seem rather immature to take so much pleasure mocking one of your own players if you already "know it's over", wouldn't it? If anything, you think you'd have sympathy for the poor guy as he breathes his last NFL breaths, no?

You guys would probably hate winning the lottery, too. I mean, the chances of it happening are SO minimal, and just think all the annoying changes your life would have to go through . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    And I didn't even have to say it! Was to be precisely my response.

Sanchez, AT BEST, would look MAYBE equal to the disaster he was last year, his FOURTH YEAR...
    And you "Gimme Sanchez One More Time" folks think he's gonna just magically be better?!
    This Offense is WAY harder than anything he can possibly handle.
    He is NOT a QB, he NEVER was, and he NEVER will be!
    If you think HE has a chance then you have to say that TEBOW does, too!

Nobody wants Tebow, and NOBODY is gonna want Sanchez! It's done, it's over. And it's NOT EVEN YOUR MONEY!

Idzik knew he had to deal with this deadweight and it's gonna be FINE!
    We made it through Vernon Gholston, did we not?!
    Tebow may suck but when the Broncos devised a gameplan and modified an offense to his strengths - he looked semi capable. If the Jets were ever allowed to do the same for one of their QB's they also might succeed.

Bringing in MM and David Lee opens the door for that possibility. Those who have given up on Sanchez might be surprised when he looks better in an offense designed around his strengths - something MM is good at. For 4 years Sanchez was forced into a system that was about as ill suited as a thong at a weight watchers meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i'll never understand "fans" like this.
    Me too. Happened years ago with Pennington, where some fans here seemed to be pulling against him. Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I've always though RT was Ducasses's best possible position to succeed.
    Wtf are you talking about ... He is slow as shiiiiit and would get raped by any competent DE.

The past 2 seasons it sounds like in these practices the D torches the o line and the qb has no chance.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Oy vey.

This is why I hate the constant updates w/o context. How can I not overreact to this?
    Exactly it gets everyone all psycho for no reason everyone needs to chill out...

All League
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill did not participate in the organized team activity on Wednesday. The second-year receiver battled knee problems last season but said a few weeks ago that he is 100 percent healthy.

Hill's disappointing rookie season came to an end after knee surgery in December, and in early May he said that he was fully recovered. He had just 21 catches for 252 yards and three touchdowns last year and failed to become the impact player the Jets drafted him to be.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan should have an update on Hill later Wednesday.

THE QUARTERBACKS: Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith took nearly the same amount of reps on Wednesday, with the veteran getting the first-team reps. Neither player had a stellar day, combining for four interceptions and a pair of sacks.

Sanchez went 6-for-11 with three interceptions and one sack, while Smith went 3-for-10 with one interception and a sack. Sanchez tossed his picks to Antonio Cromartie, Jaiquawn Jarrett and defensive lineman Damon Harrison, who picked off a screen pass. The defense erupted after the 6-4, 350-pound lineman snagged the pass.

Linebacker Garrett McIntyre intercepted Smith.

Quarterbacks Matt Simms and Greg McElroy both received barely any reps. Simms was the third-team quarterback while McElroy was the fourth-team signal caller.

BACK FOR A DAY: Jets linebacker Quinton Coples spent Wednesday back on the defensive line. The team is transitioning him to linebacker after playing on the line in his rookie season.

"We had different calls today that sent me in different situations," Coples said.

Those different calls could have been attributed to an absent player, as defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis was not seen on Wednesday. The Jets used Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson and first-round pick Sheldon Richardson on the line, with Richardson playing some nose tackle.

Coples said he loves his new position because he gets a head start in rushing or dropping into coverage. Coples had 5.5 sacks to lead the Jets last year but will have to work on his coverage skills as a linebacker.

WHO SAT OUT: In addition to Hill and Ellis, receiver Santonio Holmes, defensive lineman Antonio Garay, first-round cornerback Dee Milliner and receiver Jordan White didn't practice. Holmes and Milliner were not scheduled to participate as they recover from surgery.

HIGHLIGHTS: Receiver Jeremy Kerley had a good day. He was featured due to the absences of Hill and Holmes. ... Tight end Hayden Smith also made some nice catches. ... Safety Antonio Allen seemed to be taking the first-team reps alongside Josh Bush. The Jets lost their starting safeties this offseason in LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan is not going to let Mark Sanchez's three interceptions slide.

"This is OTAs and things, but that's going to be the pressure we're putting on him that this is unacceptable," Ryan said. "Did a lot of great things, not that you try to cover up the fact that you had some bad plays, you flat tell him we can't have these and all that type of stuff. He knows."

Mark Sanchez tossed three balls to his defensive teammates on Wednesday.
    Sanchez threw three interceptions on Wednesday as part of a 6-for-11 performance. The Jets quarterback has a total of 52 turnovers over the past two seasons, the most of any player in the league, and Ryan is putting extra emphasis on ball security from his quarterbacks this upcoming year.

"You can do 90 percent really good things but if you do 10 percent poor things you're going to get beat in this league and those are the things we have to get better at," Ryan said. "Protecting the football over anything else, that's what we have to get better at it. We know it. Today was a disappointment as far as that is concerned."

The quarterback found himself victimized Wednesday by cornerback Antonio Cromartie, safety Jaiquawn Jarrett and most surprisingly, 6-4, 350-pound lineman Damon Harrison.

Harrison snagged a screen pass, eliciting a huge reaction from the defense. Harrison's pick conjured up memories from Jan. 1, 2012, when Miami's defensive tackle Randy Starks picked off Sanchez twice on screens.

While Ryan joked that being picked off by Harrison, affectionately known as "Snacks", is nothing to be ashamed of, he said that's the type of play where Sanchez has to just throw the ball away.

"It's a good thing defense made some plays, but I'd rather him not turn the ball over once," Ryan said. "He did a lot of great things, and then those negative things, but at the end of the day that's what gets you beat. We got to do a better job of eliminating those turnovers."

Jets rookie Geno Smith, who took second-team reps on Wednesday, also threw an interception, leaving Ryan disappointed with his quarterbacks' carelessness with the ball. He described it as a "huge issue" for the team.

If either quarterback can't figure out how to eliminate those turnovers, it could keep that individual from being named the starter on Sept. 8.

"There's going to be competition," Ryan said. "There's no doubt. Today was one of the early stages in that."

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets' first open OTA practice Wednesday looked a lot like many of their games last season -- their best receivers were on the sideline.

Starters Santonio Holmes (foot rehab) and Stephen Hill (knee swelling) didn't practice. Neither did Clyde Gates (hamstring) and Jordan White (undisclosed).

"We had a good-looking receiving corps that wasn't out there," Rex Ryan said.

Holmes' absence was expected, as he's still recovering from a LisFranc injury that required surgery last September. Ryan said Holmes won't be ready for next month's minicamp, but he expects him to be ready for training camp in late July. Chances are, he'll be limited in camp. The team's goal is to get him ready for Week 1.

Hill underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last December, and said as recently as two weeks ago that he was 100 percent. But he has sat out the first two OTA practices, according to Ryan.

The receiving corps was crushed by injuries last season, including a number of hamstring issues. Ryan senses that old, familiar feeling. He's convinced the team is in good shape, but he wondered aloud, "Sometimes you're like, 'What are we doing here?'"

Amazing how everything is turning into a critique of Mark Sanchez on this and other boards. This is what I have talked about, how keeping Mark on the Jets roster this year is going to be tough on all parties.
    Re the buffoon comment about Rex, ask his peers if they think he is a buffoon.
    I think you will find yourself being question if you know what your talking about.
    Again, Rex was cornered last year, Manning fell thru and Tebow was a nightmare. Rex was stuck with Mark, what was he going to do, rip his already weak mental state? One of Mark's weakest points is his fragile state of mind.
    See if the Jets bring in another decent QB before TC and you will have your answer about what the powers that be within the NYJets really thinks of Mark.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I hate this fan base...
    I'll allow it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Amazing how everything is turning into a critique of Mark Sanchez on this and other boards. This is what I have talked about, how keeping Mark on the Jets roster this year is going to be tough on all parties.
    Re the buffoon comment about Rex, ask his peers if they think he is a buffoon.
    I think you will find yourself being question if you know what your talking about.
    Again, Rex was cornered last year, Manning fell thru and Tebow was a nightmare. Rex was stuck with Mark, what was he going to do, rip his already weak mental state? One of Mark's weakest points is his fragile state of mind.
    See if the Jets bring in another decent QB before TC and you will have your answer about what the powers that be within the NYJets really thinks of Mark.
    Hopefully, Buttfumble is gone by the end of June at the latest (and takes his loyal adoring fans (actually fan, singular, here at JI) with him out the door

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I hate this fan base...
    +1

It's a damn shame that people dont realize the best for the team is that Sanchez is given support, and bounces back, and becomes at worst trade bait.

The reason this team hasn't won a SB is because the fans don't give this team the support they need, players/coaches have to be fired every year. Why would players want to play in NY with an unruly and ignorant fan base?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    +1

It's a damn shame that people dont realize the best for the team is that Sanchez is given support, and bounces back, and becomes at worst trade bait.

The reason this team hasn't won a SB is because the fans don't give this team the support they need, players/coaches have to be fired every year. Why would players want to play in NY with an unruly and ignorant fan base?

I agree with your sentiment that Jet fans are much to quick to abandon ship on the team and players when things go awry.

But that last statement is just completely ludicrous. Do you really honestly think that the reason the Jets haven't won a SB is because of lack of fan support.

The reason the Jets haven't won a SB is because their FO has done a poor job at assembling a quality team, the CS has done a poor job at building and developing the teams they have and the overall talent level on the roster just isn't good enough to get them over the top.

Rookie
    +1

Well this is an interesting tack. It's the fan's fault that specifically Sanchez, and generally the team performs poorly.

I suppose a thoughtful person never rules any possibility out but IMHO this idea is way way down near the bottom of the list of reason for poor performance.

Oh, and BTW, I've already seen enough of Sanchez. I can't say when exactly it happened but it happened. I guess now I'm part of the problem.

Sanchez's days are numbered. He needs to beat Geno for the starting spot to stay on the roster and that's not going to happen. Smith is simply a much more talented qb and the difference between the two is night and day when you watch them both throwing.

Also take into account what we also know - The extra work Smith is doing with Lee after practice, MM comments that a qb could be named sooner than later, reports that Sanchez looks worse throwing than he did when he was a rookie, the Jets asking Garrard to stay on as a mentor for Geno, the extreme hate most fans have for Sanchez's abilities as a starting qb, who will help sell more tickets as the starter + the fact that the Jets are rebuilding and won't be ready to compete for a few more years...

Geno will get his mentor and Sanchez will be cut when that happens. It makes far too much sense. Seeing it any other way is just being a crazy Sanchez fan.

Hall Of Fame
    +1

You just leaped way way further than SAR into the land of making stuff up out of thin air to support a positions that are flat out wrong.

Wow.

+1

Honestly Ray,
    I would love to see the glimmer of hope many Sanchez supporters do. I would love to think the kid can turn it around and play at a higher level. In reality, last year just did it for me, I was ready to bench him last season, yet gave him the benefit of the doubt. I was rewarded with a QB who could not elevate the play of the average talent around him. Yes, for the most part they were average, but your four year, fifth pick in the first round, cannot be. An I think you have to agree he was well below average.

As far as supporting the team, been a fan coming up on 49 years and I think that allows me to know when a kid just does not have it. I've seen a lot of QB's come and go in Jets green and white Ray, and I got to tell you, Mark is pretty bad. I loved to be proven wrong, I am never to proud to eat crow, but us older Jets fans are running short on time and the window is closing for us, we don't have time for the likes of Mark Sanchez.
    Also don't feel to bad for the kid, if he never plays another down in the NFL, which he will BTW, he will never have to work another day in his life, if he chooses.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I agree with your sentiment that Jet fans are much to quick to abandon ship on the team and players when things go awry.

But that last statement is just completely ludicrous. Do you really honestly think that the reason the Jets haven't won a SB is because of lack of fan support.

The reason the Jets haven't won a SB is because their FO has done a poor job at assembling a quality team, the CS has done a poor job at building and developing the teams they have and the overall talent level on the roster just isn't good enough to get them over the top.
    The reason we haven't won a SB in the past 4 years is that we had incompetent OCs, never had a pass rusher pan out, and Sanchez was a bust for whatever reason. We got closer to the SB than most teams without those things. Every team has the same lousy fans, that need to love or hate every player. The difference is the media loves to fuel ours. That and we have another team in town that has a good OC, a great pass rush, and a QB that gets hot at the right times. I think the biggest difference is they had a GM with a plan, that could not be swayed by public opinion. Eli would have been driven out of town here before he ever succeeded, and the Giants were blasted for drafting all those pass rushers. We may have that as well, in Idzik now. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I'll allow it.
    For the most part, I think we collectively suck as fans too. And most of us sucky fans seem to flock to JI.

JI: Home of the sh!tty fan suck fest.

I did, doesn't change the point.

Twitter overreaction is running rampant, all the wannabee comedians are already starting, and fans are eating it up.

The media is the worst because they cater to it.
    According to the Post, he was6-11 on passes today and Rex was unhappy. So much for Rah Rah's journalism.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...JQ1UXUyaYXhHoN