Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA UPDATES 5/22

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    For the most part, I think we collectively suck as fans too. And most of us sucky fans seem to flock to JI.

JI: Home of the sh!tty fan suck fest.
    Years ago I said that some posters here were more concerned with their own celebrity at JI than actually being fans of the franchise... unfortunately that problem has compounded itself in recent seasons.

I will never understand what compels people to thump their online chests at the expense of a team they supposedly love.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The reason we haven't won a SB in the past 4 years is that we had incompetent OCs, never had a pass rusher pan out, and Sanchez was a bust for whatever reason. We got closer to the SB than most teams without those things. Every team has the same lousy fans, that need to love or hate every player. The difference is the media loves to fuel ours. That and we have another team in town that has a good OC, a great pass rush, and a QB that gets hot at the right times. I think the biggest difference is they had a GM with a plan, that could not be swayed by public opinion. Eli would have been driven out of town here before he ever succeeded, and the Giants were blasted for drafting all those pass rushers. We may have that as well, in Idzik now. We'll see.
    Thank you!!!

Why dont some folks understand this!!!!! To point this out does not make you a Sanchez apologist but rather a fan of the Jets.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Years ago I said that some posters here were more concerned with their own celebrity at JI than actually being fans of the franchise... unfortunately that problem has compounded itself in recent seasons.

I will never understand what compels people to thump their online chests at the expense of a team they supposedly love.

Money buys happiness and lower level PSLs. It does not, however, buy Jets forum respect or championships.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I agree with your sentiment that Jet fans are much to quick to abandon ship on the team and players when things go awry.
    After 47 years I'm wearing my lifejacket and heading to my Muster station.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The number of chest pounders keeps rising. Football seems to be an afterthought. Taking over threads or making it about them is more important than what brought most of us here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    According to the Post, he was6-11 on passes today and Rex was unhappy. So much for Rah Rah's journalism.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...JQ1UXUyaYXhHoN
    My journalism?

So Sanchez threw a couple of OTA INT's on the first day, so let's make it a national story and overreact to the media spamming twitter to rile up fans like you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I don't think it's any worse that it's ever been tbqh.

Sure, we have our share of trolls and cult-of-personality guy who crave the attention or have an E-persona they need to keep cultivating, thats the Interwebtubes for you.

But I think more commonly, we have guys with passionate positions who get all over-the-top putting them out there, and (at times) then find themselves forced to either defend them or backeddle, and very few people backpedal or admit they were wrong on the Interwebtubes.

Combine with longstanding clashes of personalities from debates of yore, and you got the typical J.I. thread, 10% legit solid content, 40% former grudges, previously stated opinions, flip-flops hoping no one notices, and 50% pointless one-liners and insults.

The quality rises to the top IMO, and I think most regulars will know who to read (and not read) when they want serious football opinion/discussion here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    My journalism?

So Sanchez threw a couple of OTA INT's on the first day, so let's make it a national story and overreact to the media spamming twitter to rile up fans like you.

Ryan said Sanchez had some good moments, but the turnovers overshadowed everything.

Surprise!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan said Sanchez had some good moments, but the turnovers overshadowed everything.

Surprise!
    rex no longer has job security, and he knows he's got to win some this year or he's gone. the key to this is protecting the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I agree with your sentiment that Jet fans are much to quick to abandon ship on the team and players when things go awry.

But that last statement is just completely ludicrous. Do you really honestly think that the reason the Jets haven't won a SB is because of lack of fan support.

The reason the Jets haven't won a SB is because their FO has done a poor job at assembling a quality team, the CS has done a poor job at building and developing the teams they have and the overall talent level on the roster just isn't good enough to get them over the top.
    I honestly think that NY fans have become too impatient, and have gained a sense of enititlement because of the long running drought of the team.

You look at fans elsewhere in the country, they aren't so quick to rip the team, players, coaches, front office types, etc. NY fans have become arrogant, they think they know better, and excude their "NY arrogance" on to the team and others. Sports talk shows is littered with pompous fans and radio hosts, it has become a vicious cycle. And as a NY area sports fan myself of over 30 years, I have tenure to make this evaluation.

This also certainly doesn't mean we should all be peaches in cream and accept our team's failure, far from it, but when regimes change, coaches change, and players change, fans dont' allow for the process to take place, and they don't factor all the variables that contribute to the struggles of the team. Sometimes, those struggles aren't always becuase of player, coach, etc. And yes, sometimes, a player's struggle is very much due to the influence of ruly fans that make professional athletes who play in NY a very difficult environment to play in. This can be easily seen by comments made from players after playing here. NY isn't for every player, some can handle it better than others, but why should this be the case, why do fans think it's ok to be complete a-holes, even to the athletes face, from the sideline, from the stands, as they come off the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprise!
    As usual, my point goes right over your head. I'm not at all trying to suggest we should all laud Sanchez for a great day of camp, far from it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think that NY fans have become too impatient, and have gained a sense of enititlement because of the long running drought of the team.

You look at fans elsewhere in the country, they aren't so quick to rip the team, players, coaches, front office types, etc. NY fans have become arrogant, they think they know better, and excude their "NY arrogance" on to the team and others. Sports talk shows is littered with pompous fans and radio hosts, it has become a vicious cycle. And as a NY area sports fan myself of over 30 years, I have tenure to make this evaluation.

This also certainly doesn't mean we should all be peaches in cream and accept our team's failure, far from it, but when regimes change, coaches change, and players change, fans dont' allow for the process to take place, and they don't factor all the variables that contribute to the struggles of the team. Sometimes, those struggles aren't always becuase of player, coach, etc. And yes, sometimes, a player's struggle is very much due to the influence of ruly fans that make professional athletes who play in NY a very difficult environment to play in. This can be easily seen by comments made from players after playing here. NY isn't for every player, some can handle it better than others, but why should this be the case, why do fans think it's ok to be complete a-holes, even to the athletes face, from the sideline, from the stands, as they come off the field.
    Excellent post!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

How can a fan base that hasn't seen a championship in over 40 years have a sense of entitlement?

Maybe this argument could be made for the younger generation of Yankees fans (The '96ers is what I call them) but it is impossible for this to apply to fans of the Jets.

It is not entitlement. It is simply being sick and tired of futility and fleeting moments success. And I know your definition of success is different than other people's so I don't want to get into that never-ending debate.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How can a fan base that hasn't seen a championship in over 40 years have a sense of entitlement?

Maybe this argument could be made for the younger generation of Yankees fans (The '96ers is what I call them) but it is impossible for this to apply to fans of the Jets.

It is not entitlement. It is simply being sick and tired of futility and fleeting moments success. And I know your definition of success is different than other people's so I don't want to get into that never-ending debate.
    Frankly, IMO, you really aren't qualified to comment on this topic given your own age and tenure as a Jets fan. And your generation represents a very significant part of the problem. Younger generation Jets fans need to get in line in terms of making boisterous complains about the team and its history.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-23-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You look at fans elsewhere in the country, they aren't so quick to rip the team, players, coaches, front office types, etc.
    Spoken like a man who has no regular, long-term experience living outside New York or interacting with "other fans" and in othe rmedia markets.

And yes, sometimes, a player's struggle is very much due to the influence of ruly fans

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that over the top exuberance is inappropriate when your starting QB has a bad day of practice but if we take away the bad manners aspect of that I think I am going to have to disagree with you on your premise here.

If you believe as many of us do that Mark Sanchez is damaged goods and will never move this franchise forward in a meaningful way then really, most of the paths to the promised land would include us cutting bait with this guy. And sooner rather than later. Let's say for example that Sanchez does improve in 2013 over 2012 and becomes say the 20th best QB in the NFL as opposed to the 35th or 38th best that his numbers currently reflect. How does that really move us forward?

If you are in the camp who feels he can turn it all the way around and become a true asset to the franchise, a top ten guy, then of course none of this applies.

My personal position is that Geno will benefit from learning and the franchise will benefit more from a top-5 pick next year so I think Mark should continue to QB the team this year while our kids elsewhere on the team get some seasoning.

P.S. Beware of all the folks attaching themselves to your post as if it somehow validates some of the more bizarre points of view that have been expressed on the other side.
    Last edited by EM31; 05-23-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly, IMO, you really aren't qualified to comment on this topic given your own age and tenure as a Jets fan. And your generation represents a very significant part of the problem. Younger generation Jets fans need to get in line in terms of making boisterous complains about the team and its history.
    What is boisterous about referring to the title drought? It is a matter of fact. No use in running from it.

Quite frankly I think some older fans have been so beaten down with futility that the scraps of success get overvalued by them and they hold on to them for dear life (ie Rex, Sanchez, AFCCGs) rather than accept the reality that a lot has happened since then, things have change and those moments are gone.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the contrary.

Most of us 35+yo fans didn't cut our teeth on the internet/forums/blogs/24hr news cycle/tweets, etc., like the younger fans have done. The rest of us don't know for sure how the young players (and they are all young) and the young fans react in and to the information age that is their environment.

That being said, blaming the fans for the teams performance is a stretch. This generation is used to this stuff and if they haven't adapted to it then they are weaklings (NFL competition wise) and need t be culled (from the team)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What is boisterous about referring to the title drought? It is a matter of fact. No use in running from it.

Quite frankly I think some older fans have been so beaten down with futility that the scraps of success get overvalued by them and they hold on to them for dear life (ie Rex, Sanchez, AFCCGs) rather than accept the reality that a lot has happened since then, things have change and those moments are gone.
    I've been following the Jets since 1973 and I have to say that I feel rather philosophical when it comes to the issue of SB droughts. If the Jets won a SB 20 years ago, I don't think it would make me feel any better or worse about what I was going to experience in the coming year... with sports it's frankly all about the Now. Wins in the past don't help us root for tomorrow's team, and losses in the present don't destroy all hope that with change we will have another shot. If you haven't got some sense of perspective that this is all supposed to be fun and a sport, I feel sorry for you. If you look at it as a financial investment that has to pay off, or a major factor in your personal happiness, you're frankly insane and nobody can help you. Relax, be happy. Good days will come.