Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith signs with Roc Nation Sports

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    The head coach of the NY Jets is Unfortunately, just that, a clown. He has brought this franchise nothing but laughter. I can't wait for the ax to fall and get this team back on track again. I don't wish this team failure, I have been a long time fan, everyone has a right to an opinion. If you don't like it - that's ok.
    No problem with you not liking rex,.but defending sar with his non stop trolling shtick is ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    We got to the AfC Championship twice because of 'the clowns' defense. I have a sneaking feeling that we could just as easily go 10-6 as 4-12 this year.
    Hope you right about the 10-6. However, I think Indy laying down is a pretty good reason why we got to find our way to one playoff season. I also think his poor coaching (and staff) is why we gave away our Super Bowl trip to Pittsburgh. A good amount of that team was in place when he arrived.

He is a huge distraction to himself and the team. If this organization had a real football owner, he would have been run out long ago, but this is my opinion. It may not hold water with you and I can accept that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you right about the 10-6. However, I think Indy laying down is a pretty good reason why we got to find our way to one playoff season. I also think his poor coaching (and staff) is why we gave away our Super Bowl trip to Pittsburgh. A good amount of that team was in place when he arrived.

He is a huge distraction to himself and the team. If this organization had a real football owner, he would have been run out long ago, but this is my opinion. It may not hold water with you and I can accept that.
    I feel the same as the next Jets fan. Rex has embarrassed the organization more than once. However despite his faults he is a very good defensive coach. When you look around, the alternatives are not great. I agree with your statements ... Both years the Jets had success, the season's results were greater than the sum of the parts.

My hope is that Idzik has at least mitigated Rex's detrimental effects on the roster. (Playing favorites etc.)
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-25-2013 at 07:11 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like NFL now investigating Jay Zs role in signing Geno. Scutiny continues

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasholliday View Post
    All new front office, coach, and players... Not to mention Ralph Wilson is not meddling or calling the shots anymore. Secondly, not even as sad of a franchise as we have been lately, would we touch tebow or Sanchez with a 10 ft pole.
    Don't you fellas have a new FO, CS and players every other season?

Nobody cares about your crap franchise but you. Even when they make the biggest signing of the offseason, they are a byline.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Looks like NFL now investigating Jay Zs role in signing Geno. Scutiny continues
    Did you get this idea from something resembling a source?

It'd be nice if you would include it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geothermal View Post
    Did you get this idea from something resembling a source?

It'd be nice if you would include it.
    in today's daily news. if you want to read it go look it up yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith-Roc Nation relationship under scrutiny

The NFL Players Association is investigating Roc Nation's recruitment of New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith, according to union sources.

The union is planning to send a letter of inquiry to Roc Nation Sports agent Kim Miale to gather more information about Jay-Z's involvement in courting Smith. The recently instituted "runner rule" prohibits agents from having colleagues or friends who aren't NFLPA certified agents present for recruiting meetings.

Earlier this week, Smith's adviser John Thornton, a former NFL defensive tackle, was quoted by CBS as saying "I was in those meetings, and Jay-Z connected with him on many levels." Thornton later said he was misquoted.

The real smoking gun might be a picture that Smith posted of Jay-Z and himself on Instagram during the quarterback's recent re-recruitment process, which kicked off after Smith fired agent Jeff Nalley.

Smith is Miale's third client, per NFLPA records, following linebacker Brandon Hicks, who spent time in the Bills' and Steelers' training camps the last two summers, and arena league kicker Carlos Martinez.

The NFLPA previously sent a letter of inquiry to CAA mega-agent Tom Condon after Condon signed Victor Cruz, who is using Roc Nation for his marketing. Roc Nation has established a partnership with CAA in sports other than football, where the runner rule makes such an arrangement problematic. The union cleared Condon of wrongdoing.
    NFLPA says Jay-Z hasn't broken 'runner rule'

The NFL Players Association, which hadn't said anything publicly on the issue of Jay-Z and Roc Nation venturing into the representation of its players this spring, has broken its silence.

In a statement sent to USA TODAY Sports, George Atallah, a spokesman for the union, said the organization has found no issues with CAA's partnership with Roc Nation as it pertains to the "runner rule," which allows only certified agents to recruit players.

Jay-Z is not a certified agent and therefore cannot recruit players for contract representation.

Atallah confirmed what USA TODAY Sports reported Friday: CAA checked with the union before signing New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz to see if the NFLPA would have any issues with their signing him. The NFLPA said there was no problem with adding Cruz to their list of clients because there was already a longstanding friendship between Cruz and Jay-Z.

Roc Nation was only to handle Cruz's marketing, not his contract negotiations. CAA's Tom Condon is Cruz's new contract agent and continues to work with the Giants on a long-term contract.

"We are aware of the relationship between CAA and Roc Nation," Atallah wrote. "We sent a formal inquiry to CAA asking them about their recruitment of players, in particular Victor Cruz. Both CAA and Victor responded. No violations in recruitment were found."

However, Atallah indicated there's more investigating to be done on Roc Nation's signing New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith as its first client. Smith didn't hire CAA; he said he hired Kimberly Miale, a certified agent who joined Roc Nation but has only two clients, neither of whom has played in an NFL regular-season game.

A photo on Instagram showed Jay-Z and Smith have met.

"We will be reaching out to all of the parties involved to get a better understanding of the nature of those relationships," Atallah wrote.

Miale has not responded to repeat inquiries from USA TODAY Sports this week.

NFLPA will examine Roc Nation’s recruitment of Geno Smith

Publicly, the NFLPA has been mum on the manner in which the sports agency owned by Jay-Z recruited Jets quarterback Geno Smith. Privately, the NFLPA will say just enough to spark action.

According to Albert Breer of NFL Network, the union plans to send a letter to agent Kim Miale, the certified agent who works for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and who represents Smith. The NFLPA wants to know whether and to what extent Jay-Z was involved in recruiting Smith to hire Miale.

Under a rule passed by the NFLPA in 2012, only NFLPA-certified agents may be involved in recruiting clients. Thus, if Jay-Z engaged in any recruitment of Smith to hire Miale, Miale has a problem.

Complicating matters are comments from Smith’s advisor, John Thornton, to CBS and a photo of Jay-Z and a photo that appeared in social media of Smith with Jay-Z, before Smith hired Miale.

Said Thornton, who later claimed that he was misquoted: ”It really all came down to who he was most comfortable with. I was in those meetings and Jay-Z connected with him on many levels.”

In our view, information sought by the NFLPA could include the full list of Roc Nation employees who met with or talked to Smith, the circumstances and timeline surrounding Miale’s arrival at Roc Nation, whether Smith actually met Miale at any point before signing the Standard Representation Agreement, the number of times Smith and Miale communicated during the recruitment process, the number of times Miale communicated with Thornton and other Smith advisors, the number of times Smith and Jay-Z met and communicated during the recruitment process, and the number of times Jay-Z communicated with Thornton and other Smith advisors.

Phone records, emails, and other documents could be sought to confirm the things that potential witnesses may say, given the strong incentive to conceal any evidence of recruiting by Jay-Z. Interviews could be conducted of Smith, Miale, Thornton, Jay-Z, and others with knowledge of the situation.

The biggest problem for the NFLPA could come from its lack of jurisdiction over Jay-Z. While the union can take action against Miale, the NFLPA can do nothing to Jay-Z or anyone else who doesn’t fall under the union’s regulatory umbrella. Indeed, the NFLPA lacks the power to compel Jay-Z or anyone else not certified by the NFLPA to cooperate.

Thus, the problem could repeat itself, with the NFLPA suspending Miale and Jay-Z then hiring another certified agent. And so on. While we’re not advocating this specific solution, the only way the NFLPA could end the cycle (if Jay-Z intends to be involved in recruiting clients and if he can’t or won’t obtain NFLPA certification) would be to issue a blanket statement that any agent who associates with Jay-Z automatically would be subject to discipline.

The union is a long way from that point. But the decision to look into the Miale-Smith arrangement represents much more than some agents thought the NFLPA would do. Those agents and plenty of others will be keenly interested in how the inquiry proceeds, the information it uncovers, and the manner in which the situation is resolved.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-26-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good amount of that team was in place when he arrived.
    The "Rex's early success came from inheriting a good team" argument is a weak one. If the existing talent was so strong, why didn't they even make the playoffs in the 2 seasons prior to Rex's arrival? The most significant piece on the 2008 team that started 9-3 was a Hall-of-Fame QB that was no longer there when Rex arrived. Instead, the All-Star team that Rex inherited featured a rookie QB (who we have since learned isn't very good) and Jerrico Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey as the starting Wide Receivers -- and he still took that team to the AFC Championship Game.

If you want to use a "no excuses" standard and blame Rex for 2 sub-par seasons, that's your prerogative. However, don't use revisionist history to wipe out the accomplishments of a coach that you've decided to hold accountable for the team's woes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB with questionable decision making skills (on field and off) signs rap mogul sports agency for representation.

Complicating matters are comments from Smith’s advisor, John Thornton, to CBS and a photo of Jay-Z and a photo that appeared in social media of Smith with Jay-Z, before Smith hired Miale.

Said Thornton, who later claimed that he was misquoted: ”It really all came down to who he was most comfortable with. I was in those meetings and Jay-Z connected with him on many levels.”

Says Geno: "When you talk about being in New York, from the standpoint of what they can do in the city, I think it's a good move,".

Star-struck and butthurt is a curious mix, but that was Geno's mindset when signing with Jay-Z.

Don't forget, this stuff all comes after the Bills pass on Geno for non-football related reasons.

But it's okay, Rex is a master at avoiding distractions and developing a quarterback's potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "In a statement sent to USA TODAY Sports, George Atallah, a spokesman for the union, said the organization has found no issues with CAA's partnership with Roc Nation as it pertains to the "runner rule," which allows only certified agents to recruit players"

seems like the NFL PA itself, in writing, is disputing the validity of another "made up out of the ass" Daily News report attacking Smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    "In a statement sent to USA TODAY Sports, George Atallah, a spokesman for the union, said the organization has found no issues with CAA's partnership with Roc Nation as it pertains to the "runner rule," which allows only certified agents to recruit players"

seems like the NFL PA itself, in writing, is disputing the validity of another "made up out of the ass" Daily News report attacking Smith
    The "runner rule", whatever the hell that is, doesn't really have to do with us though. I think it's pretty clear the Jay-Z connection is the primary attraction of Roc Nation, with it's sports arm formed ... all of a month ago! Of course Geno feels more comfortable with that environment, he's a star and wants to be treated like one.

And a mindset like that isn't one to accept criticism from a QB coach. #wastedpick

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    The "Rex's early success came from inheriting a good team" argument is a weak one. If the existing talent was so strong, why didn't they even make the playoffs in the 2 seasons prior to Rex's arrival? The most significant piece on the 2008 team that started 9-3 was a Hall-of-Fame QB that was no longer there when Rex arrived. Instead, the All-Star team that Rex inherited featured a rookie QB (who we have since learned isn't very good) and Jerrico Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey as the starting Wide Receivers -- and he still took that team to the AFC Championship Game.

If you want to use a "no excuses" standard and blame Rex for 2 sub-par seasons, that's your prerogative. However, don't use revisionist history to wipe out the accomplishments of a coach that you've decided to hold accountable for the team's woes.
    excuuuuuuuuuse me

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    The "runner rule", whatever the hell that is, doesn't really have to do with us though. I think it's pretty clear the Jay-Z connection is the primary attraction of Roc Nation, with it's sports arm formed ... all of a month ago! Of course Geno feels more comfortable with that environment, he's a star and wants to be treated like one.

And a mindset like that isn't one to accept criticism from a QB coach. #wastedpick
    Obviously you have some agenda for hating Smith from the aecond he was selected. I'm going to take the high road and not speculate as to its impetus

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously you have some agenda for hating Smith from the aecond he was selected. I'm going to take the high road and not speculate as to its impetus
    I'm still negative on the selection, yes. I don't know if that qualifies as "agenda", though.

Would I like to see Geno beat out Sanchez and throw some TDs passes and win some games? Absolutely.

Do I see red flags? Yes and I'm not going to pretend I don't see them.

The Eagles saw them too. There was nothing about his play in college that they didn't like - and then after some extended face time with him pre-draft they passed on him twice. All water under the bridge now, though. Geno is a Jet and hopefully any potential b.s. from doesn't pan out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

TIS A GLORIOUS DAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Tired of this incessant, unreasonable trolling. You're a Jets fan, for chrissakes. When you get back, find a new shtick.
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    HAH!

SAR just got Bonhommed!

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Wow...
    A banning for douche-bagging!
    Awesome move!
    God Bless Paulie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH, PAULIE FOR DOING WHAT WE ALL HAVE WANTED TO BE DONE FOR A LONG TIME!!

SAR had gone on way too long with a schtick that became annoying 3 years ago....Yet, because of Tenure, or maybe he has friends in high places here, or whatever, he managed to almost always avoid the "ax". Thank you for proving to him that he's NOT bullet-proof(or ax-proof).
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    This just made my year....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB with questionable decision making skills (on field and off) signs rap mogul sports agency for representation.

Says Geno: "When you talk about being in New York, from the standpoint of what they can do in the city, I think it's a good move,".

Star-struck and butthurt is a curious mix, but that was Geno's mindset when signing with Jay-Z.

Don't forget, this stuff all comes after the Bills pass on Geno for non-football related reasons.

But it's okay, Rex is a master at avoiding distractions and developing a quarterback's potential.
    Hopefully this incident finally teaches Geno to stay away from the texting and Instagram addiction (obviously there was something to that rumor) and keep his focus on Jets and football exclusively.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Yea posting s pic of a bunch a clowns is telling it how it is. You sir should go with him ....clown

+ 1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay-Z is worth half of a billion dollars.

Perhaps the primary attraction is to align himself with a wildly successful businessman. Perhaps.