Thread: New Story: How to Decipher OTA Reports

Post New Story: How to Decipher OTA Reports

Florham Park, NJ- Every year I get asked the same questions once OTAs begin, how did so and so look? How about this other guy? Did anyone standout at this position or that position?

I'm not complaining, I fully understand why these questions are asked the problem is most of the time there's no answer for me to give. Since these same questions are raised every year I figured I'd write a detailed explanation about OTAs and why you hear so much about the quarterbacks, cornerbacks, wide receivers, offensive and defensive lines and so little about the other positions.

Obviously the...

More...

Wow, great stuff and a total reality check. Wondering how many people here will get it.

I heard you about the difficulty of judging TE but anything on Hayden Smith? I heard he caught a few today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Didn't you hear about Sanchez?

We suck apparently.

0-16 with no hope.

F Woody.

It's over. The Jets are done for 2013.

Really, it's over!

Last edited by jetstream23; 05-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.

All League
    Reading some of the posts today following day one of friggin OTAs made me cringe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Man is this just OUTSTANDING work!!!

Thank you so much. You explain this whole process in ways no "journalist" has done to date....

Just Thanks again!!

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by JI BREAKING NEWS TICKER View Post
    Florham Park, NJ- Every year I get asked the same questions once OTAs begin, how did so and so look? How about this other guy? Did anyone standout at this position or that position?

I'm not complaining, I fully understand why these questions are asked the problem is most of the time there's no answer for me to give. Since these same questions are raised every year I figured I'd write a detailed explanation about OTAs and why you hear so much about the quarterbacks, cornerbacks, wide receivers, offensive and defensive lines and so little about the other positions.

Obviously the...

More...
    GREAT write up I enjoyed reading it.... very insightful and should hopefully stop some of the *****ing people do about Sanchez... no one likes the turnovers but being sharp and crisp and knowing where to go is better than throwing a couple of picks in the OTAs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Didn't you hear about Sanchez?

We suck apparently.

0-16 with no hope.

Actually, as bad as it would be, 0-16 would bring great hope.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    GREAT write up I enjoyed reading it.... very insightful and should hopefully stop some of the *****ing people do about Sanchez... no one likes the turnovers but being sharp and crisp and knowing where to go is better than throwing a couple of picks in the OTAs.
    Taking everything in context is throwing 3 picks sharp, crisp, and knowing where to go? Rex said in his presser mark needs to stop with the turnovers(year five RED LIGHT). Rex said Smith would like some passes back. One of which where he missed an uncovered wr but hit the TE for a great gain that is what Rex said about what he saw. Again take it with a grain of salt. The fact that he is telling the year five starter to not turn the ball over and saying that smith would have liked a throw back for more yards is telling. It should be the other way around esp. since mark had a head start.

All League
    Props to Christopher on the article. CONTEXT is always the key when
    watching a practice. Too bad most people won't remember this when
    training camp starts

How stupid can you be? Of course right now Sanchez has a better "grasp" of the offense than Geno. Geno just got the playbook a couple of weeks ago and it's his first time ever playing against a Rex Ryan defense and nfl players. Meanwhile Suckchez has been spending months learning the west coast offense and getting a huge head start.

Talk to me after all of mini camp, OTA's and first two weeks of training camp when the preseason games start as to who has a better "grasp" of the offense. If Morningweg announces a starter before Geno was given enough time to learn the offense and acclimate to the NFL this whole competition was a sham from the start. Not that it will make much of a difference. Sanchez will eventually be benched anyway as he continues to do what he does best. Throw picks to defensive lineman.

One thing is for sure, Sanchez is the SAME QB at the end of yesterday as he was last season. Inexplicable mistakes? Isn't that what every fan was saying last season?

I'm not holding any hope for Sanchez to correct his play and that is all basically due to his accuracy issues. But Sanchez is going to have to completely erase any form of thinking he's had in the past. He needs to act as though he is a rookie coming into the league and MM is his first OC. IMO, that's the only way he learn how to play the position again. Because right now what he's doing is simply not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    How stupid can you be? Of course right now Sanchez has a better "grasp" of the offense than Geno. .
    This cuts both ways as the defense has a better grasp of reading Mark before a throw. I would hope all three intercepters sat down with Sanchez and explained how they read his "tells."

Mark doesn't need his defenders to explain his "tells" at this point. I'm sure he's heard dozens if not hundreds of times what every coach, opponent and fan already knows. When Mark can hang onto the ball long enough, he will stare down one receiver while double pumping the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    One thing is for sure, Sanchez is the SAME QB at the end of yesterday as he was last season. Inexplicable mistakes? Isn't that what every fan was saying last season?

I'm not holding any hope for Sanchez to correct his play and that is all basically due to his accuracy issues. But Sanchez is going to have to completely erase any form of thinking he's had in the past. He needs to act as though he is a rookie coming into the league and MM is his first OC. IMO, that's the only way he learn how to play the position again. Because right now what he's doing is simply not acceptable.
    +1 Couldn't have said it better.

It's real easy to decipher. With slow low level talent on both sides of the ball, it looks great. Looks like everyone is running fast and making great plays. Then the reality sets in when they play a team with real drive and a fire to win, oh yeah and talent. This is when this teams gets their a$$es handed to them and they are what they are, crap.