Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herm's Top 20 Coaches of All Time

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    REX RYAN should be number 1.
    Finally a thread that's stayed on topic.
    Why try to derail this thread with more of your Rex hatred?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Holmgren >>>> Dungy

I'll take John Madden over Dungy. The only reason Madden didn't get more rings is he happened to be the #1 rival to the Steelers Dynsasty. Hell, I'll take Chucky over Dungy. Chucky rebuilt the Raiders, would have made a Super Bowl with them if not for the Tuck Rule, then took Dungy's team that couldn't win the big one, and won the big one!
    I still think that was one of the most underrated accomplishments in football. His Raiders teams were sick, And the only thing TB ever needed was a modicum of competency coaching the offensive side of the ball.

Dungy gets a ton or talk about TB's defensive scheme, but let's not forget how good his players were. In fact, the TB Cover 2 scheme in general is one of the most ***** style football schemes I've ever seen. It's completely predicated on forcing the offense to use more plays to move down the field under the theory that the more plays an offense runs, the greater the chance it will make a mistake. So it basically allows the offense to keep getting short 5 yard plays by completely taking away anything deep in the hopes that by taking 16 plays the offense will likely fumble or throw a pick. It was a Chad Pennington wet dream of a defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I think Reeves is hurt because he only won 1 division title (and wnet to the SB, admittedly) once he left Denver, there is a belief that Elway is the Reeves reason had success in Denver.

Vermeil won divisons with 3 different teams and went to SB 2 different teams, like Reeves.

I'm not sure what Reeves has done to make him a "higher ranked coach" then Levy.
    I didn't say Reeves should be ranked higher, but definitely included in the Top 20 if the others are.

Reeves took Denver to 3 SBs in 4 years, and ATL to another SB (vs Denver).

Levy's Bills defeated Reeves in the AFCC in '91, so advantage Levy.

You credit Elway for Denver's run, but the same can apply to Kelly for Buffalo's run.

Levy may have reached the SB four times in a row, but he also wiffed four times in a row despite having the talent to get him there.

Same diff.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUMBOJET View Post
    To be honest, to be great is to win a superbowl and unless you won a superbowl you shouldnt be top 20
    Disagree. You need the players to win a SB, which is on the scouts and GM more than the HC. You also need some luck especially in the injury dept., also out of the HC's control.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Excellent point!!!

However other knowlegable commentators on Grant disagree. For in point of fact there is an article that just came out less than three days ago on this very point. Lets look at it what it has to say shall we...

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/5/...-rank-all-time

"There are many people that discount Grant's accomplishments as a head coach simply because he never won a Super Bowl. Those people tend to be really ignorant and stupid, and possess very little actual football knowledge. The facts are that the Vikings won nearly two-thirds of their games with Grant on the sideline, and they won 11 divisional championships in 18 seasons. They also brought home one National Football League championship and three National Football Conference championships."

Ummm somehow I am going to go with this writer and the football HOF on this one sport!!!!

Good Grief!!!!
    I wouldn't stack my football knowledge as a teenager against professional analysts, but I can say that I grew up in Minnesota and we watched all their games religiously. My distant recollection is that Grant was in some ways similar to Rex. He was a defensive minded coach who had a great defense to work with, but he was challenged as an offensive mind. And he was pretty pedestrian in his approach to game strategy. But compared to somebody like Marty Schottenheimer he was a genius. Perhaps it was living through those dominant season only to see the Vikings get outsmarted in the SB by guys like Hank Stram that still bothers me.

Which brings up a question: Which was the greatest defensive line in NFL history? Marshall, Eller, Page and Larsen were up there....
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 05-24-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    not sure how you put Belichick ahead of Parcells considering Parcells never cheated and he had Simms/Hostetler instead of Tom Brady.
    Don't Parcells and Belichick cancel each other out on the cheating? I'm sure they were taping signals when Belichick was working for the Tuna.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I wouldn't stack my football knowledge as a teenager against professional analysts, but I can say that I grew up in Minnesota and we watched all their games religiously. My distant recollection is that Grant was in some ways similar to Rex. He was a defensive minded coach who had a great defense to work with, but he was challenged as an offensive mind. And he was pretty pedestrian in his approach to game strategy. But compared to somebody like Marty Schottenheimer he was a genius. Perhaps it was living through those dominant season only to see the Vikings get outsmarted in the SB by guys like Hank Stram that still bothers me.

Which brings up a question: Which was the greatest defensive line in NFL history? Marshall, Eller, Page and Larsen were up there....
    Ahh Yes the Purple people eaters.. You also have to add the Fearsome Foursome of the Rams from the 60's.. Pitt's The Steel Curtain and the Cowboys Doomsday Defense. The Bears D from the mid 80's and of course our very own Sack Exchange..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    139 - Tony Dungy (13), 139-69, .668
    138 - Bill Belichick (14) 138-86, .616

Yea Dungy didnt do anything as a HC, it all has to do with PC run amuck!!

No objective fan could possibly think Dungy was a great HC!!

Sickness

Good Grief!!!

Those numbers are off and look like they're from 4 years ago. A lot has happened since.

I think Dungy was a good coach, but not quite a great one.

The PC stuff certainly exists. Look at the way the PC police went all gaga when Dungy's team met Lovie Smith's team in the SB, for the first all black head coach SB. To me, those are the sick people.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't understand how Jimmy Johnson was left off this list.

Tony Dungy deserves his ranking. He may also be the most well liked coach in Herm's top 20.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herm and anything he thinks ->

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The top NFL coaches list below uses a combination of regular season and playoff records, as well as the total number of championships. It all adds up to what I think is the most accurate list. Hopefully it will look the same when I post it.

Regular Season Playoffs
    Rank Name W L T % W L % Titles
    1 Vince Lombardi 96 34 6 738 9 1 900 5
    2 George Halas 318 148 31 682 6 3 667 6
    3 Bill Belichick 187 101 0 649 18 8 692 3
    4 Greasy Neale 63 43 5 594 3 1 750 3
    4 Joe Gibbs 154 94 0 621 17 7 708 3
    6 Curly Lambeau 226 132 22 631 3 2 600 6
    7 Buddy Parker 104 75 9 581 3 1 750 3
    8 George Seifert 114 62 0 648 10 5 667 2
    9 Paul Brown 213 104 9 672 9 8 529 7
    10 Bill Walsh 92 59 1 609 10 4 714 2
    11 Don Shula 328 156 6 678 19 17 528 3
    12 Chuck Noll 193 148 1 566 16 8 667 4
    13 Hank Stram 131 97 10 575 5 3 625 3
    13 John Madden 103 32 7 763 9 7 563 1
    15 Sean Payton 62 34 0 646 5 3 625 1
    16 Bill Cowher 149 90 1 623 12 9 571 1
    17 Tom Coughlin 151 121 0 555 12 7 632 2
    17 Tom Landry 250 162 6 607 29 16 556 2
    19 Bill Parcells 172 130 1 570 11 8 579 2
    19 Mike Shanahan 167 125 0 572 8 6 571 2
    21 Tony Dungy 133 69 0 658 9 9 500 1
    22 Bud Grant 158 96 5 622 10 12 455 1
    23 Mike Holmgren 161 111 0 592 13 11 542 1
    24 Jon Gruden 93 77 0 547 5 4 556 1
    25 Dick Vermeil 120 109 0 524 6 5 545 1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Tony Dungy invalidates the whole list as at least one other poster said. He was only the coach of bad to average teams with the Bucs. Everyone knows that saying he was coach of the colts was garbage. Manning was coach of the colts. First year he leaves they make it to the super bowl under another terrible coach in his rookie season. "Dungy" put up great regular seasons with the colts, but its often the case in the playoffs where the teams are so evenly matched its usually coaching or a crucial call that determines the winners and losers. Thats why the Colts could only win one super bowl over his whole tenure.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree and how about Jimmy Johnson!!!

No way IMO Dungy is better than Johnson!!!!
    Really? I hope you're kidding. Jimmy Johnson walked into the most un-even trade in sports history. It set that cowboys team up for success. Herschel for 6 men and 6 draft picks?? When he went to Miami the roster wasn't as strong and it showed. His record was average and he lost interest. Dungy built the bucs up for gruden's Super Bowl win, then took Indy to their first championship. I see no comparison.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Jeff Fisher and Mike Tomlin over anybody in the bottom half of the list in the article.

Jeff Fisher is the most underrated coach of all time. His teams are never very talented, but they compete and play tough. If he ever had a franchise QB, he'd probably win a bunch of titles.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I would take Jeff Fisher and Mike Tomlin over anybody in the bottom half of the list in the article.

Jeff Fisher is the most underrated coach of all time. His teams are never very talented, but they compete and play tough. If he ever had a franchise QB, he'd probably win a bunch of titles.
    I'm not sure I'd even take Jeff Fisher over Rex Ryan. Honestly, I don't understand what the obsession over Fisher is, he had a a few good seasons, but he certainly had some offensive talent over the years, the idea that he worked in a baron wasteland.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    barren

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back to Marv Levy ...

How would Jets fans react if we got to the SB four years in a row and never won it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Back to Marv Levy ...

How would Jets fans react if we got to the SB four years in a row and never won it?
    Suicidal

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post

Steve McNair, 2003 co-NFL MVP, was a franchise QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Hank Stram should be on that list.
    Stram should be in the top 5. The guy was an incredible HC.