Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: ESPN Layoffs: Sports Network Reportedly Letting Go Of Hundreds

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Preaching to the choir brother. As an owner of a REAL MADE IN THE USA manufacturing company, this country's situation is bad. Wait until the stock market has its "correction" as my finance guy likes to call it.
    Your finance guy is a genius to predict a correction as there will always be a correction after a run up. No one assumes that the stock market will go up for eternity.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Your finance guy is a genius to predict a correction as there will always be a correction after a run up. No one assumes that the stock market will go up for eternity.
    "correction" is a nice way of saying crash.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What, no one figured out that blasting music behind sports highlights, whilst two uncharismatic tools sit behind
    a desk is passť? Hello? It's not 1993.
    This.
    It's like an ADD dream, which is why it is so successful in our society today.

    If I tell people that I don't watch ESPN, they are usually shocked, as if it was the alpha and omega of sports.
    I usually ask people if they have learned anything new at all about the sports they watch by watching ESPN, and their faces go blank.
    I'm very curious what these other new sports channels are going to put out in the coming months, I really hope there's even slightest improvement over ths crap.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    This.
    It's like an ADD dream, which is why it is so successful in our society today.

    If I tell people that I don't watch ESPN, they are usually shocked, as if it was the alpha and omega of sports.
    I usually ask people if they have learned anything new at all about the sports they watch by watching ESPN, and their faces go blank.
    I'm very curious what these other new sports channels are going to put out in the coming months, I really hope there's even slightest improvement over ths crap.
    I feel the same. Hated ESPN for years now.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    But the President keeps telling us the economy is getting better.....ok
    Corporate profits are at an all time high. What's the problem?

  6. #26
    Can someone publish a report on how much of a circus this network has become....that would be EPIC.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Corporate profits are at an all time high. What's the problem?
    lol, not mine.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Your finance guy is a genius to predict a correction as there will always be a correction after a run up. No one assumes that the stock market will go up for eternity.
    Except for anyone trying to convince you to buy stocks or invest in the market.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    lol, not mine.
    So that proves the economy is bad?


    (not that I believe that corporate profits indicate the health of the economy though it does indicate a lot of other things)

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,369
    it seems a few of you seem to think that the only 'employees' of ESPN are the on air 'talent'... the majority of people who are being let go are the production staff- regular middle class people with families to support. But cheer away

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Please let Cimini be one of them.

    ESPN has become too large. They need to scale back. Every show is a variation of Sports Center. Too many channels, too many radio stations and too many websites.
    Agree, should can Sportscenter and its multiple productions and go back to the ESPN NEWS format... too much fluff...

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    it seems a few of you seem to think that the only 'employees' of ESPN are the on air 'talent'... the majority of people who are being let go are the production staff- regular middle class people with families to support. But cheer away
    They way I read things here is that the posters here desire to have that 'on air talent' cut.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Preaching to the choir brother. As an owner of a REAL MADE IN THE USA manufacturing company, this country's situation is bad. Wait until the stock market has its "correction" as my finance guy likes to call it.
    Just to touch on that, kinda off topic, but i can't pass up the opportunity to talk shop. But stocks run off of earnings, which have been great because companies have been shedding costs left and right...if you do any digging you'll see that while an absurd number of companies have beat on analysts EPS estimates...somethingl ike 70% have been under estimates in total revenue. This run in stocks is a sham, there will be a correction, and it's ridiculous that most people can't see that. As for the real estate market let me give you one statistic: of the foreclosed homes in the united states, banks and holding companies have listed ~10%. 90% kept off the market...obviously home prices are going up, supply is totally stunted duh. Econ 101. That is all.
    Last edited by bjetsb; 05-24-2013 at 11:40 AM.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    it seems a few of you seem to think that the only 'employees' of ESPN are the on air 'talent'... the majority of people who are being let go are the production staff- regular middle class people with families to support. But cheer away
    Exactly.

    No on-air 'talent' is being displaced (other than the normal turnover as one washed-up former athlete replaces another and one small Jewish man who never played sports but thinks he know what he's talking about replaces another).

    It's all behind the scenes people. Production, accounting, finance, human resources, etc.

    Granted, many of these people have been made redundant as ESPN's back-office operations have been merged with Disney's, which took a few years. It makes sense from a business standpoint, but that makes it no less painful to the regular working-class people being let go.

    But, most of these people are talented individuals and will land on their feet.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Just to touch on that, kinda off topic, but i can't pass up the opportunity to talk shop. But stocks run off of earnings, which have been great because companies have been shedding costs left and right...if you do any digging you'll see that while an absurd number of companies have beat on analysts EPS estimates...somethingl ike 70% have been under estimates in total revenue. This run in stocks is a sham, there will be a correction, and it's ridiculous that most people can't see that. As for the real estate market let me give you one statistic: of the foreclosed homes in the united states, banks and holding companies have listed ~10%. 90% kept off the market...obviously home prices are going up, supply is totally stunted duh. Econ 101. That is all.
    All true.

    But, eventually, low global interest rates will spur demand. Banks will have no option but to lend, and corporate revenues will take off. And, with staffs and operating expenses having been cut to the bone, operating profits will explode. And the stock market, being a discounting mechanism, will move up well before that happens.

    We may be a year, 5 years, or maybe more from that happening. When is the big question. But, it will happen eventually.

    Econ 101. That is all.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    All true.

    But, eventually, low global interest rates will spur demand. Banks will have no option but to lend, and corporate revenues will take off. And, with staffs and operating expenses having been cut to the bone, operating profits will explode. And the stock market, being a discounting mechanism, will move up well before that happens.

    We may be a year, 5 years, or maybe more from that happening. When is the big question. But, it will happen eventually.

    Econ 101. That is all.
    Yeah, in a stable rate environment sure, but do you really think the fed will continue to buy at this pace? Even the TALK of tightening sent treasury markets into a spin, stocks off highs. You don't feel like markets tiptoeing on thin ice?

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So that proves the economy is bad?


    (not that I believe that corporate profits indicate the health of the economy though it does indicate a lot of other things)
    My company is a good barometer of the overall health of the manufacturing sector. We make replacement parts for industrial glue machines and sell world wide to anyone who packages goods. This includes companies such as Kimberly Clark, Proctor and Gamble, Coca Cola, and many smaller companies.
    We have seen a major cutback in spending over the last five years from all companies big and small with no end in site.
    We are a non OEM company which means our parts cost about 50% less. When we are slow, things are bad. We are holding our own, but no where near normal.
    There are people who are doing well and God bless them, but the people we speak with everyday are struggling.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Just to touch on that, kinda off topic, but i can't pass up the opportunity to talk shop. But stocks run off of earnings, which have been great because companies have been shedding costs left and right...if you do any digging you'll see that while an absurd number of companies have beat on analysts EPS estimates...somethingl ike 70% have been under estimates in total revenue. This run in stocks is a sham, there will be a correction, and it's ridiculous that most people can't see that. As for the real estate market let me give you one statistic: of the foreclosed homes in the united states, banks and holding companies have listed ~10%. 90% kept off the market...obviously home prices are going up, supply is totally stunted duh. Econ 101. That is all.
    The market is certainly not my area of expertise but I will say this, I am waiting to invest in any stock funds until about November. Until then its all tax free multi states.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Yeah, in a stable rate environment sure, but do you really think the fed will continue to buy at this pace? Even the TALK of tightening sent treasury markets into a spin, stocks off highs. You don't feel like markets tiptoeing on thin ice?
    Very thin ice.

    But, sometimes, you have to tread on thin ice in order to find firm footing. So, I think they are doing the right thing.

    Problem is, even if central banks are successful, and they fire up the global economy, we as a nation can't afford to continue to be net importers. We need to become net exporters. And we aren't making the necessary investments to do that. We are becoming largely a service economy. So, when global demand does rebound (and it will) the US is not in a position to capitalize on it.

    But...now we are getting too far off track for a football forum. PM me and we can talk further.

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    They way I read things here is that the posters here desire to have that 'on air talent' cut.
    As the starter of this thread, you obviously have a misunderstanding of what cuts at ESPN actually mean. You want ESPN to cut some of the onair blowhards, great.. but that's not what is happening here.

    I apologize for being sensitive about the situation.. but as someone who works in the NYC media industry, I can't feel good about one of the top networks laying off 10% of it's workforce for any reason..

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us