Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ESPN Layoffs: Sports Network Reportedly Letting Go Of Hundreds

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    As the starter of this thread, you obviously have a misunderstanding of what cuts at ESPN actually mean. You want ESPN to cut some of the onair blowhards, great.. but that's not what is happening here.

I apologize for being sensitive about the situation.. but as someone who works in the NYC media industry, I can't feel good about one of the top networks laying off 10% of it's workforce for any reason..
    You are clear here with me champ. I don't like the idea of company layoffs at all. I also don't like the idea of networks planting studios at training camps to spot light NFL individuals and poke at teams.

I have a sibling that works at a major network.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    My company is a good barometer of the overall health of the manufacturing sector. We make replacement parts for industrial glue machines and sell world wide to anyone who packages goods. This includes companies such as Kimberly Clark, Proctor and Gamble, Coca Cola, and many smaller companies.
    We have seen a major cutback in spending over the last five years from all companies big and small with no end in site.
    We are a non OEM company which means our parts cost about 50% less. When we are slow, things are bad. We are holding our own, but no where near normal.
    There are people who are doing well and God bless them, but the people we speak with everyday are struggling.
    LIke I said, corporate profits have never been higher and neither has the stock market - apparently that's all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    LIke I said, corporate profits have never been higher and neither has the stock market - apparently that's all that matters
    apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Please let Cimini be one of them.

ESPN has become too large. They need to scale back. Every show is a variation of Sports Center. Too many channels, too many radio stations and too many websites.
    the sports broadcasting is in a bubble. what people are paying for rights to games is enormous. its because it's the only thing that folks don't DVR.

ala carte is going to destroy the second tier sports channels.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Please let Cimini be one of them.
    Being a victim of the great 2008 layoffs, I would never wish this upon anyone. But I will make an exception for Cimini.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    Being a victim of the great 2008 layoffs, I would never wish this upon anyone. But I will make an exception for Cimini.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    LAYOFFS!? You wanna talk about LAYOFFS!? LAYOFFS??

NICE

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Corporate profits and the stock market are both measured in U.S. dollars, which has been devalued by the Fed pumping dollars into the system. So, yes, they are both at all time highs. Which is exactly where they should be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    Corporate profits and the stock market are both measured in U.S. dollars, which has been devalued by the Fed pumping dollars into the system. So, yes, they are both at all time highs. Which is exactly where they should be.
    Part of the "convince the world we're going broke and make as much $$$ as possible while we sing the sad song of taxes are hurting us while we make billions".

Works every time.

Not only has the stock market more than doubled in the past 4 years, but the US Dollar is worth more today compared to other currencies than it has in a very long time. In fact it is at a three year high against a basket of major foreign currencies.

Good time to take some stock profits and buy a big screen TV because they're cheap now.

ESPN needs to be as lean as possible as they will be the first cable channel to leave cable/network television and take their content elsewhere.

In 2 years cable TV as we know it will be almost entirely gone and people are going to say "they never saw it coming".

I actually kind of like cimini lately... maybe it's just because mehta's writing has been so lame that it looks good in comparison, but I think he's been pretty fair in his jets coverage as of late

All Pro
    That's like explaining why the sky is blue Captain Obvious, spouting a few words of jargon to seem knowledgeable about details, missing the point and larger picture entirely.