Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great ESPN article on Jets draft

Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Please stop with draft board poker, Isik's first 2 moves a QB who is hurt and then retires and rb who is a criminal, Geno is going to be a huge bust.
    This Isik fellow sounds like a terrible GM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    Stop reading at #1 smh. Go watch the CFL, it's closer to Maine.
    I guess he didn't realize we drafted the best CB in the draft to replace the best CB in the league that when he was hurt last year our defense was fine.

Please stop with draft board poker, Isik's first 2 moves a QB who is hurt and then retires and rb who is a criminal, Geno is going to be a huge bust.
    Mike'd up he's ready to go, on the fan New York sports radio-o

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Great thread

Smart intelligent fan talk, from mostly smart intelligent Jets fans

It's a rarity on this board

A moment of silence as I relish this one rare moment for myself...
    Agreed but dude...it's not that rare. A LOT, in fact a TON of good posts are here.

Whennthey are negative, you simply dismiss them.

Geno was a GREAT pick. In fact, this draft was our best in at least
    5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    1) The team probably got better along the D line, but what about the hole FS, CB?

2) That may be true, but that doesn't help us on the field.

3) Possible

4) See number 2

5) True.
    6} rome was not built in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed but dude...it's not that rare. A LOT, in fact a TON of good posts are here.

When they are completely absurd and ignorant, with no sign of logical thought, or provide nothing but agenda driven rhetoric, you simply dismiss them.

5 years.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    There's a great piece on ESPN insider on the jets draft. titles 'why joe nameth is wrong. drafting geno smith was anything but a mistake'.

makes 5 main points:

1) jets maximized chance to compete now by improving defense in draft;

2) jets maximized draft board value, didn't reach for offensive skill players;

3) jets figured the wrs they have, when healthy, are better than what they could have drafted;

4) taking geno in the 2nd round maximizes cost/benefits of qb risk;

5) taking geno in 2nd round doesn't prevent them, salary cap wise, from drafting another qb next year.

very level-headed, reasoned article, defending idzik's draft and the decision to take geno.
    All good points. We got great value this draft. Grabbed some good defenders, added OL depth, potential franchise QB, got Ivory. TE/WR is a huge need but im glad we didnt reach. We will probably get 4 comp. picks next year leaving us with 12 and we will have tons of cap. We can upgrade the offense next year. It sucks our weapons aren't good now but its a rebuilding process we just need to be patient. Add some weapons next year with the talent we got this year and our future will be looking bright.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

5 years.
    Maybe on paper.

What if the Jets didn't draft Geno Smith at that spot? Now they already have Sanchez intrenched as their starting QB! Also I can guarantee the Jets take another QB next draft and early unless Geno proves to be our savior. Two young QBs in the future fighting it out to be our starter is a good scenario.

The draft was interesting to say the least, but it's a new style/approach, one that takes some time getting used to. This team isn't one that's going to win a championship this season, but the hope is eventually - whether with Geno or with a QB in next years loaded class - we'll find a real QB to lead this franchise into the future and when we do find him hopefully the BPA approach works out in our favor. Ultimately it will be up to how they perform on the field.

All League
    While you could (arguably) make a case that bringing in Goodson was a mistake, I don't understand how anyone could fault Idzik for Girard retiring. Girard, when healthy, was a decent to above average QB. When he was hired he told the Jets that he would bow out if he was unable to perform and that's exactly what he did. As for Geno, the jury is still out.

Let's wait on see how the season plays out before criticizing the FO when the new players haven't even played a down of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    While you could (arguably) make a case that bringing in Goodson was a mistake, I don't understand how anyone could fault Idzik for Girard retiring. Girard, when healthy, was a decent to above average QB. When he was hired he told the Jets that he would bow out if he was unable to perform and that's exactly what he did. As for Geno, the jury is still out.

Let's wait on see how the season plays out before criticizing the FO when the new players haven't even played a down of football.
    Exactly. Enough of the "minute men" who can't even wait for the preseason games to blow their load. Be reasonable guys...

Jets Insider VIP
    Get a clue.

Gerrard cost nothing, Goodson is no big loss, plenty of time to review and Geno was a steal.

All Pro
    Can I get link please???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD