Thread: Serious question about "anonymous sources"?

Serious question about "anonymous sources"?

This may be a silly question and honestly the answer very well may be a simple one, but I have never seen it asked before. What exactly is stopping guys like Manish and Cimini from making up "anonymous Jets" that are giving them information? And if that's the case, why are these "sources" given any credence whatsoever? I just dont understand

Cimini and Mehta are the anonymous source.

1. Nothing is stopping them beyond their percieved honesty and integrity, and whatever oversight their media management has in place for source confirmation (generally, almost none in Sports Media for most things).

2. They are listened to because :Fans: listen to and react to everything.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juels Santana View Post
    This may be a silly question and honestly the answer very well may be a simple one, but I have never seen it asked before. What exactly is stopping guys like Manish and Cimini from making up "anonymous Jets" that are giving them information? And if that's the case, why are these "sources" given any credence whatsoever? I just dont understand
    There is the problem when someone constantly cites anonymous sources.

Who they are, if they even exist is important. The number 50 player on the roster is as plugged in as much as a respected vet.

Rookie
    Well once they got rid of Pettine the anonymous sources did dry up for a while so that lends some credence to there being actual anonymous sources.

Only if people ignore them.

The fact is that most fans are desperate for news about their team so they pay attention to any bit of gossip. You see it all of the time. If the article is favorable about the team, then the author is good. If it's not favorable, the guy is a hack. Either way, as long as people are talking about it, they win. Stop paying attention is the only way to get them to stop.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 05-24-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Well once they got rid of Pettine the anonymous sources did dry up for a while so that lends some credence to there being actual anonymous sources.
    Plaxico too.

Seemed like there where so many quotes dealing with the O, criticising the WRs etc, when he was here. And after his one year no one was interested in the guy
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Veteran
    Don't call Manish out on Twitter about anonymous sources. He'll DM you (knowing you can't respond back) telling you to take a journalism class before commenting you know nothing about.

Quite comical.

All League
    They like their jobs. If they ever got caught, they would be done forever.

I have no doubt that the sources are real. Every team has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    They like their jobs. If they ever got caught, they would be done forever.

I have no doubt that the sources are real. Every team has them.
    certainly, there are always malcontent in every organization.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak10 View Post
    Don't call Manish out on Twitter about anonymous sources. He'll DM you (knowing you can't respond back) telling you to take a journalism class before commenting you know nothing about.

Quite comical.
    I've blocked Manish, which has vastly improved my Twitter experience.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    certainly, there are always malcontent in every organization.
    Yet, the Society of Malcontents reports that their events are models of harmony and productivity.

You can't make this stuff up.

Well first, newspapers unlike TV talking heads actually have at least some ethics. A reporter who makes stories up won't be able to hold on to his job.

Anonymous sources are fine as long as the reporter verifies his story with another source. If the reporter has two guys that tell him the same story, he should report it. Dont blame the reporter it is the player/coach/FO guy that should be blamed for not putting his name to the story.

What do you want him to do, only report stuff that the person is ok with the story being attributed to him? Well then all you get will be fluff pieces or stories from guys who are no longer with the team.

When you were in school or now at work and they ask for evaluations, the professor/manager does not ask you to sign it

Sports writers used to be more responsible about sources back in the day. No longer. The internet etc.. has led to there being a zillion sports journalists who compete with each other for survival in the industry. They're fabricating stories/sources at a rate I've never seen. If fans wanna believe all the bs, that's their trip. Just as long as the players stay focused and ignore it.

I mentioned in another thread that a court ruling upheld any media source's right to lie. Here's a link to the story.

http://www.ceasespin.org/ceasespin_b...rm_public.html

Keep this in mind whenever you read or hear anything in the news media from any viewpoint. Don't think for a second that the NY rags that are quoted aren't fully aware of this and exercise this journalistic freedom.

(Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start anything political here, I just googled the subject and picked a link. If you don't like ceasespin.org please google the subject yourself. There are hundreds of links.)

I have first hand experience with the media. Don't think for a second that they won't take a small thing and turn it into something outrageous. Anonymous sources may make a comment about something, which then turns into the focus of the story. Mehta has learned how to do this. He wasn't always the way he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I have first hand experience with the media. Don't think for a second that they won't take a small thing and turn it into something outrageous. Anonymous sources may make a comment about something, which then turns into the focus of the story. Mehta has learned how to do this. He wasn't always the way he is now.
    If it is a small thing and the person reading/listening/watching can not gleam the truth or understand that the reporters take is not pertinent shame on them.

The sports media has a job to do, which is to sell media, not to present a situation from all angles. I don't understand the hand wringing by fans when some report is slanted against the team.

Rookie
    Hm. This story seems to have some legs Thoughts? Simms has gotten more reps than McElroy....is McElroy out I wonder?

http://thejetpress.com/2013/05/25/me...-greg-mcelroy/

There was some high comedy on Thursday when beat writers attacked beat writers, a national writer attacked a beat writer and that same national writer penned a story that was fueled by an anonymous Jet. Fortunately the whole thing seems to tie together nicely in the end.

About eight hours earlier Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential (@jetswhispers) posted a link to a story where he wonders why Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News and others were interviewing Greg McElroy when it was already reported that he was “out” of the quarterback competition. The story also included a picture of Mehta alone interviewing McElroy in the Jets locker room. The very obvious insinuation was that those talking to McElroy were looking for information from a disgruntled employee.

Meanwhile, at roughly the same time, Mike Freeman of CBS Sports (@realfreemancbs) released a small blurb within a story which said, “This from a Jets player, who asked not to be identified: “Everyone on the team likes Mark personally but there’s a general feeling among some of the players that maybe it’s time to give someone else a chance.” The player went on to say that he estimates that 80-90 percent of the team feels the same way he does.”

Roughly an hour after Leberfeld’s story showing a picture of Mehta and McElroy, Freeman had an interesting tweet. The tweet reads “I love when a guy who uses anonymous sources ALL THE TIME mocks when someone else does. Jesus.”. Manish Mehta uses anonymous sources all the time and was talking to McElroy so Mehta may have been experiencing some sour grapes that Freeman got the story first.

Let’s think about this logically. First Leberfeld calls out Mehta and others for pumping McElroy for information. Then a story breaks where an “anonymous Jet” thinks the Jets should give another quarterback a chance. Remember this is the same Greg McElroy who blasted his teammates after the 2011 season. It is pretty cut and dry in my mind that McElroy is the source and along with his outburst after 2011 it is best to see if there is a better 3rd string quarterback out there or risk having an anonymous source all year.
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 05-25-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Richard Nixon said the same thing about Woodward and Bernstein of the Washington Post. Luckily for Dick, Twitter didn't exist.