Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Judge Finds Violations of Rights by Sheriff

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Banks and Wall Street?

Absolutely. Unfortunately MOST federal employees are too stupid to get anything on the banks. They may get a few sloppy bankers guys but it's a case of a graduate from Towson State versus the guy from Harvard or Stanford. Feds are out of their league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of dignity and privacy.

Would you not have minded if they'd wanted to do a body cavity search?

What about if they needed to pat down your teenage daughter?

What if they needed a couple hours to go through your boat inch by inch?

Just because your threshold for indignation is higher than others doesn't mean. If you're not guilty, you have nothing to fear.

Right, a body cavity search. Give me a break. They do THAT on the street now do they?
    They were on my boat a while. Jealous I guess. Mine was better than theirs. LOL.
    Not that it applies but men can NEVER do a pat down on a woman. That's a suit and a job termination. Perhaps an assault charge.
    I wasn't indignant at all. And they were pleasant enough. They do catch people with illegal things on boats and boats unsafe or unregistered. Good.
    No crime, just fine.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Right, a body cavity search. Give me a break. They do THAT on the street now do they?
    Not yet.

Keep on not caring about our civil liberties and they will.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Not yet.

Keep on not caring about our civil liberties and they will.
    I think you're pretty safe up in the woods of Maine

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be better if they towed you back to the dock, and wasted even more of your time?
    They were on my boat a while. Jealous I guess. Mine was better than theirs. LOL.
    I suppose that's possible...

Not that it applies but men can NEVER do a pat down on a woman. That's a suit and a job termination. Perhaps an assault charge.
    I didn't specify gender. I'm not completely comfortable with my wife being felt up by the female TSA agent either. I wonder how long we're going to keep these gender specific policies in place though? With all the outrage surrounding not allowing one to choose which sex bathroom he feels more comfortable with, why not let the cop/TSA agent choose whether he/she feels more comfortable groping breasts, or penis?
    I wasn't indignant at all.
    That was my point. We could use a little more dignity sorrunding our civil rights these days.

And they were pleasant enough. They do catch people with illegal things on boats and boats unsafe or unregistered. Good.
    No crime, just fine.
    I'm going to be lazy and post a snippet from a blog i follow, as it addresses this point directly and mirrors my thoughts on the subject.

The first and most important thing to understand here is why it's important that we care about the rights of Ms. Thorne, a known drug trafficer. In the law, the ends do not justify the means. You can't just say that because she did have drugs, it's ok for the government to treat her any way they wanted, ignoring her Fourth Amendment rights. There are rules for when searches are legal and when they are not, and those rules protect the innocent as well as the guilty.

You might only care about the rights of innocent people to be free of unreasonable search and seizure. You might think that a case where a person turned out to be guilty is not that important in the grand scheme of civil rights. The trouble is, only guilty people can really bring these cases to court. When guilty people are searched unfairly, they have standing to sue, real incentive to sue, and there are reasonable remedies they can seek (for example, "don't put me in jail.") Innocent people could have their Fourth Amendment rights voilated routinely, but the courts can't stop that without a case. So cases exactly like Ms. Thorne's are what set the precedent for how we will ALL be treated. You need to care about her rights because her rights are YOUR rights.
    Source: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/professor-sirlin-and-the-fourth-amendment.html
    (he's not actually a professor)

*edit* and for the record i'm not claiming that anything illegal happened in regards to your encounter palmetto. Just that from my perspective, boarding a boat, and searching it without any reason to believe a crime has been committed should be illegal, no matter how much crime it prevents/solves.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

*edit* and for the record i'm not claiming that anything illegal happened in regards to your encounter palmetto. Just that from my perspective, boarding a boat, and searching it without any reason to believe a crime has been committed should be illegal, no matter how much crime it prevents/solves.
    ========================================

Something about navigable water ways, I'll try and see what I can find.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be better if they towed you back to the dock, and wasted even more of your time?

I suppose that's possible...

I didn't specify gender. I'm not completely comfortable with my wife being felt up by the female TSA agent either. I wonder how long we're going to keep these gender specific policies in place though? With all the outrage surrounding not allowing one to choose which sex bathroom he feels more comfortable with, why not let the cop/TSA agent choose whether he/she feels more comfortable groping breasts, or penis?

That was my point. We could use a little more dignity sorrunding our civil rights these days.

I'm going to be lazy and post a snippet from a blog i follow, as it addresses this point directly and mirrors my thoughts on the subject.

Source: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/professor-sirlin-and-the-fourth-amendment.html
    (he's not actually a professor)

Taking possession (i.e. towing) of my boat would be an illegal action subject to a lawsuit, criminal charges against the police and summary dismissal of personnel.
    As far as a pat down there are no female officers assigned to harbor police. Our Coast Guard staff has a few assigned to the numerous ships and boats here, but jurisdiction is a question. Was put under 50 calibers from two Navy boats for getting too close to a couple moored nuclear subs a couple years ago. That's a one time error. LOL
    The do board boats often. Have observed it being done on small ones and 50 footers. Very rarely an arrest though have read about it or seen it on the local news.
    Like I said, I do not mind. Let them if they get a bad guy once in a while.
    Good to contro; kids who are getting liquored up on boats also.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ========================================

Something about navigable water ways, I'll try and see what I can find.
    Title 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission.

Goes back to the Revenue Service Act of 1790.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Jet; 06-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Title 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission.

Goes back to the Revenue Service Act of 1790.
    ================================================== =====

Thank you, also the Commerce clause in the Constitution.

As far as local law enforcement, as far as I could tell, all states allow LE to stop and do safety checks for what not, and if you have fishing gear then that gives them more access to look around, but more or less the same laws as in a traffic stop apply.

The USCG has the broadest power, although it can sometimes be limited by the size and type of boat you may have. As an instance commercial ships have to allow more or less full access and if caught with any amount of contraband the vessel is subject to seizure. Like if your deck hand smuggles a joint on board you could loose your boat.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taking possession (i.e. towing) of my boat would be an illegal action subject to a lawsuit
    Maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    <snip>The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. <snip>
    But hey, i'm sure you wouldn't mind. No crime, just fine, right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe not?

But hey, i'm sure you wouldn't mind. No crime, just fine, right?

They CANNOT seize property without either a warrant or find that I have illegal material or people on board. If they did I would move from my 35 footer to an 85 footer on the government's nickel. Plus have a few unemployed idiots out there or perhaps in jail themselves.

Seizing property is indicative of a crime. Don't be a smarta$$, there's a difference between a stop and an arrest/seizure.
    How about if the want to sink my boat or shoot me? Please with the bizarre scenarios.