Turn On The Jets – Early New York Jets 2013 Opinion Edition

1. Joe McKnight Won’t Make The Final 53 - After the Mike Goodson and Chris Ivory acquisitions, I didn’t McKnight sticking on the final roster. My logic was that if the team was sold on McKnight’s ability, they wouldn’t have brought Goodson in who is basically a better version of him. Now due to Goodson’s legal issues there is obviously a much better chance of McKnight sticking around. I think people tend to overrate McKnight’s value as a kick returner and the difficulty of finding competent kick returners in general. Without question, McKnight has talent but if Goodson is available on day one of training camp, he is opening as the 4th running back and I don’t see him leap-frogging anybody in front of him. Maybe the Jets keep four halfbacks? Maybe Goodson is suspended? Maybe. But it is far from a slam dunk that McKnight is on the team in September, especially if he struggles picking up the playbook.

2. Vlad Ducasse Won’t Make The Final 53 - There is a belief among some Jets fans that Ducasse was good in his limited duty last season. I didn’t see it. The only reason he was rotating with Matt Slauson was because of pressure from the front office who wasted a 2nd round pick on him. Ducasse bounced between mediocre and average in his limited reps. If this coaching staff had any confidence in his ability, they don’t sign Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman and they don’t draft Brian Winters, Oday Aboushi and William Campbell to play guard. Ducasse is also behind Caleb Schlauderaff in terms of value because Schlauderaff can play center also. Unless there is injuries, Ducasse isn’t starting or being the backup swing lineman this year and he probably isn’t making the final 53. The new offensive staff and front office has no loyalty to him.

3. Geno Smith Will Start Week One - Yes, I have long been categorized as SANCHEZ APOLOGIST but I think the Jets second round rookie quarterback is going to start day one. There is going to be no hesitation from Rex Ryan to start a rookie, just like there wasn’t in 2009. All Smith needs to do is look competent in training camp and the pre-season and he’ll get the job. I’m sorry, I just don’t see Sanchez running away with the job enough to keep Smith on the bench. I’ve lost betting on Sanchez in the past and I’m not doing it again.

4. Brian Winters Will Start Week One - Another rookie starter. Willie Colon is going to start at one Guard spot, leaving the other spot basically between Winters and Stephen Peterman. Winters skill set and attitude should make an early impression on the Jets coaching staff and I think they let him roll from day one with Peterman being the backup/swing lineman.

5. Binky Offensive Player - Most Jets fans and writers (whether they want to admit it or not) have a “binky” player who they believe is better than most give credit for. On offense, mine is Jeremy Kerley who I think is a much more complete and talented overall receiver than many seem to. I see Santonio Holmes being the 1A option in the passing game this year with Kerley being the 1B option, with Stephen Hill and the tight ends well behind them.

6. Binky Defensive Player - Antonio Allen. I like the physicality Allen plays with and think he will make a impact in a number of defensive packages for the Jets as a slot corner, blitzer and traditional safety.

7. Kyle Wilson Isn’t Good - I always believed he was overextended as a starter and I don’t even classify him as a quality nickel back. He has never developed the needed ball awareness skills and has never brought anything to the return game, like he was supposed to coming out of college. Both Aaron Berry and Darrin Walls have the ability to push him for reps as the 3rd corner and I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them took the job from him, like Drew Coleman did back in 2010. Maybe it is a harsh assessment but there is no way I see him getting a second contract from the Jets.

8. Ivory > > > Greene - Chris Ivory is going to be an IMMENSE upgrade over Shonn Greene at running back. If he can stay healthy over 16 games and if you gave the same amount of carries and blocking that Greene had last year, I think he racks up 300-350 more yards and 3-5 more touchdowns. Those numbers might not jump off the page to you but they average out to another full yard per carry and you’ll notice the difference week to week.

9. Jeff Cumberland’s Value - He should be a situational backup on passing downs. He doesn’t have the skill set to start or even be a full time backup. The Jets need help at tight end, immediately.

10. You HATE these guys, don’t you? - There is no personal vendetta from me or this site against any Jets player, especially since I’ve basically never met any of them. I just go by what I see on the tape and offer my opinion.

11. Quick Hitters -
Greg McElroy – Career 3rd stringer.
David Harris – Was one of worst starting ILBs in football last year. Team badly needs bounce-back year from him.
Santonio Holmes – Talent to be a true number one receiver when he wants to be.
Muhammad Wilkerson – Best 3-4 DE in football not named JJ Watt.
Quinton Coples – Future Pro-Bowler and double digit sack guy.
Austin Howard – Good run blocker. Poor in pass protection. Has long term potential.
Sheldon Richardson – Will be the best pro from the Jets 2013 Draft Class.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/05/tur...inion-edition/