Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zach Rogers Stood Out Among Deep Class At Tenn

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Aryan
    lel

Rogers and Ryan Spadola both have a great chance of making the 53 man roster whether we carry five or six WR's. It would be pretty cool to have not one, but two, potential "diamond in the rough" WR's who are ... you know ... white. (Let's just say it)

Tim Brown was undrafted
    Tim Brown was drafted 6th overall

Aryan Foster was undrafted
    I don't think too many black parents are keen on naming their child ArYan

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    6 ft is not short for a WR, that's actually prototypical size, 6'0" - 6'3" or there about.

That being said there are plenty of very productive WR's that are under 6 ft - too many to list in fact.
    Are you sure you know what "prototypical" means?

Because it doesn't mean "typical".

If you are building a prototype, it should be the exact model for the best performance you are looking for. Look at the top 5 receivers in the NFL last season:

Calvin Johnson, 6'5"
    Andre Johnson, 6'3"
    Brandon Marshall, 6'4"
    Demaryius Thomas, 6'3"
    Vincent Jackson, 6'5"

Typically, you would choose the absolute best of the class and build a prototype from that model, but in this case, five players at the top of the class share similar attributes of height.

There are exceptions to the rule, but you don't build a prototype on exceptions to the rule. You build a prototype around the rule.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    what an idiotic comment.....who cares what color they are as long as they can help the team....why is it cool if they are white...amazing that it would be important to you.....but then ignorance is not a surprise these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Rogers and Ryan Spadola both have a great chance of making the 53 man roster whether we carry five or six WR's. It would be pretty cool to have not one, but two, potential "diamond in the rough" WR's who are ... you know ... white. (Let's just say it)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Geothermal View Post
    Are you sure you know what "prototypical" means?

Because it doesn't mean "typical".

If you are building a prototype, it should be the exact model for the best performance you are looking for. Look at the top 5 receivers in the NFL last season:

Calvin Johnson, 6'5"
    Andre Johnson, 6'3"
    Brandon Marshall, 6'4"
    Demaryius Thomas, 6'3"
    Vincent Jackson, 6'5"

Typically, you would choose the absolute best of the class and build a prototype from that model, but in this case, five players at the top of the class share similar attributes of height.

There are exceptions to the rule, but you don't build a prototype on exceptions to the rule. You build a prototype around the rule.
    Geothermal is it?

There are plenty of receivers 6ft or shorter that have been as productive - and in some cases more productive, then those you listed above - here are a few without thinking too hard about it:

Don Maynard 6'0"
    Rod Smith 6'0"
    Tim Brown 6'0"
    Wayne Chrebet 5'10"
    Pierre Garcon 6'0"
    Davone Bess 5'10"
    Jason Avant 6'0"
    Randall Cobb 5'10"
    Brandon Gibson 6'0"
    DeSean Jackson 5'10"
    Brandon Lloyd 6'0"
    Jeremy Maclin 6'0"
    Danny Amendola 5'11"
    Percy Harvin 5'11"
    Roddy White 6'0"
    Chris Givens 6'0"
    Reggie Wayne 6'0"
    Victor Cruz 6'0"
    Brandon Stokely 6'0"
    Wes Welker 5'09"
    Santanna Moss 5'10"
    Laverneous Coles 5'11"
    Steve Smith (Panthers) 5'09"
    Mike Wallace 6'0"
    Cecil Shorts 6'0"
    Andre Roberts 5'11"
    Santonio Holmes 5'11"
    Hines Ward 6'0"
    Donald Driver 6'0"

As you can see, they are all 6 feet or shorter, and they all were, or are, extremely productive WR's and this list goes on and on.

Some of these guys are players from the past, but, the overwhelming majority of players on this list are still currently playing in the NFL and playing well at that. I am sure I am missing quite a few as well, these are just guys I am recalling from memory without doing a full blown search - but this list is more then adequate to prove my point.

That being said, 6 feet to about 6 foot 2 inches or so, is probably about average/normal height for a WR.

As for you questioning my knowledge of the definition of the word prototype / prototypical....

Here are the top 2 definitions from Dictionary.com:

pro·to·type - verb, pro·to·typed, pro·to·typ·ing.

1. the original or model on which something is based or formed.

2. someone or something that serves to illustrate the "typical qualities" of a class; model;

So actually your understanding of the meaning of the word "prototype" is what's wrong, because "typical" is right in the definition.

Next time you try to question someone else's vocabulary, you might want to be sure you know what you're talking about because you are coming out of this looking pretty stupid - to put it bluntly.

6 feet tall is an adequate height for a WR and about the norm.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Wayne Chrebet was white. Just sayin'

I would take another Chrebet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Rogers and Ryan Spadola both have a great chance of making the 53 man roster whether we carry five or six WR's. It would be pretty cool to have not one, but two, potential "diamond in the rough" receivers
    I agree with you very much on this issue in that Both are very good receivers. . I also look for Stroud to make the PS. The kid from Bethune- Cookman is an interesting size/speed guy with good hands.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 05-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Wayne Chrebet was white. Just sayin'

I would take another Chrebet.
    Wayne Chrebet was an incredible talent.

I really used to enjoy watching him play the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Lets not a polish a turd into a diamond you guys. Zach is not as talented or special as Patterson, Hunter or D. Rogers. Don't feed me this - wow what a steal! If he was such a god damn steal, he'd have played ahead of the other guys.

He's a smart pick up that MIGHT become a depth chart guy. Jordan White was supposed to be that guy too last year.
    True, Zach is a nice story but the chances he makes the 53 man roster out of camp is slim. He would have to play really well on specials to even warrant consideration for the 53 man.

Plus, he benefited from playing with Patterson, Hunter and even his TE Rivera. Zach drew little attention from opposing defenses as they were more concerned with stopping Patterson, Hunter and Rivera. Zach picked up some scraps and took advantage of this lack of attention at times.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, Zach is a nice story but the chances he makes the 53 man roster out of camp is slim. He would have to play really well on specials to even warrant consideration for the 53 man.

Plus, he benefited from playing with Patterson, Hunter and even his TE Rivera. Zach drew little attention from opposing defenses as they were more concerned with stopping Patterson, Hunter and Rivera. Zach picked up some scraps and took advantage of this lack of attention at times.
    With our WR corp the way it is currently constructed, any WR we bring in camp has at least some shot of cracking the 53.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    With our WR corp the way it is currently constructed, any WR we bring in camp has at least some shot of cracking the 53.
    The Jets have a lot of under the radar receivers on the roster right now, (Zach Rogers included) I am sure one or two of them will pan out, I am not concerned.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Tim Brown was drafted 6th overall

I don't think too many black parents are keen on naming their child ArYan
    For some reason I got Rod Smith confused with Tim Brown.

Too bad about the Arian mispelling