Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Zach Rogers Stood Out Among Deep Class At Tenn

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Zach Rogers Stood Out Among Deep Class At Tenn

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...stood_out.html

    Jets WR Zach Rogers stood out among deep class at Tennessee

    Throughout the offseason, we'll be looking at some of the under-the-radar players that will be competing for roster spots during OTAs and training camp. Today, we're highlighting wide receiver Zach Rogers out of Tennessee. His college position coach, Darin Hinshaw, was kind enough to help us understand how he might fit into an NFL offense.

    Darin Hinshaw had countless scouts in his office at Tennessee last season asking questions and watching film on Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter.

    As the Volunteers' wide receiver coach, it was easy to say nice things about two NFL-ready wideouts with first or second-round grades on them.

    But after sharing the tape, Hinshaw said everyone would leave asking more about Zach Rogers, the 6-0, 172-pound slot receiver who posted 32 catches for 491 yards and seven touchdowns his senior year.

    He wasn't surprised.

    "After you watched the games, they all wanted to know about Zach," Hinshaw, now the passing game coordinator at the University of Cincinnati, said by phone Friday. "And everybody said it: You got two good ones here, but Zach Rogers -- I don't want to say he's going to be the best one -- but the Jets are really going to like having him."

    He added: "You can always count on Zach Rogers. The only reason he's not super big-time is, he's 180 pounds and -- you know, he was just as fast as the other guys -- and honestly, it's because he's white." He said this part with a laugh.

    The curiosity surrounding Rogers ballooned last week when Rex Ryan pegged him as one of the early risers in rookie minicamp. Spotlighting prospects without pads on is a fickle, and often worthless, exercise but Hinshaw saw it coming after watching Rogers operate in his pro-style offense at Tennessee.

    The Vols' passing game drew from both the Patriots and Packers offenses. Rogers would be primarily used in the slot, but could split out to expand the offense. Opponents ran plenty of two-high safety looks against Tennessee to counter Hunter and Patterson and that's when Rogers would bump out wide.

    "He's so fast, the South Carolina game last year he played against some really good defensive backs and tore them up for three touchdowns," Hinshaw said. "But he can split out, we split him out to run the deep post and take the top off the defenses."

    The easy, and incorrect, way to pigeonhole a wide receiver like Rogers would be to compare him against current slot receivers of a similar body type: Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Eddie Royal, Jordan Shipley.

    "He's not Welker, Wes is a little squattier and has a lot of strength and is really, really quick," Hinshaw said. "Zach is very quick but doesn't have the strength Wes has. He's a little bit faster."

    Except for one similarity.

    "But he's definitely like those guys in that you can see him playing 15 years in the NFL," Hinshaw said.

    Rogers was fourth on the Volunteers in receiving (second in touchdowns) last season and played in all 12 games. He does have a history of injuries -- concussion, ankle, shoulder, triceps -- but that didn't stop a few draft analysts from labeling him as one of the top sleepers in the class.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like he is primed to play in a WCO, Tennessee played a pro style offence, could be big for us especially gaining YATC.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the dearth of Wide Receivers on this team, we need all the help we can get.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Barnegat,NJ
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Should make the team!


  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope he can bring something to the table. Our WR corp is an embarrassment at the moment.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I really hope he can bring something to the table. Our WR corp is an embarrassment at the moment.
    jets can use another quick wr, it would help make up for them not drafting one.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I really hope he can bring something to the table. Our WR corp is an embarrassment at the moment.
    I know there's no flashy names, but if you look at who was throwing the ball (if you can call it that) and the sorry excuses for OC's we've been subjected to seeing, I think it's possible we may actually be surprised if everybody can do their jobs.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jims jetts View Post
    That was a very cool video, thanks for posting.

    Every time someone talks about Zach, the words are:

    smart, fast, great hands, runs great routes, hard worker

    I hope Zach becomes a great WR for us

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this kid THAT good ??? Hope he turns into our Welker !
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I know there's no flashy names, but if you look at who was throwing the ball (if you can call it that) and the sorry excuses for OC's we've been subjected to seeing, I think it's possible we may actually be surprised if everybody can do their jobs.
    agreed! If the QB was accurate no reason our guys cant catch the ball. Holmes and Kerley are well known for what they can do. Hill is raw but talented. Rogers can be a keeper for us. Spadola and Stroud intrigue me as well. I do not think things are as bleak as some Sanchez fans make it out to be.

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill, Kerly and Holmes aren't going anywhere. Zach Rodgers will have to beat out Jordan White, Clyde Gates, Royce Pollard, Titus Ryan, K.J. Stroud, Ryan Spadola and a few others for the 4th or 5th spot. Its doable.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Hill, Kerly and Holmes aren't going anywhere. Zach Rodgers will have to beat out Jordan White, Clyde Gates, Royce Pollard, Titus Ryan, K.J. Stroud, Ryan Spadola and a few others for the 4th or 5th spot. Its doable.
    It may come down to Rodgers and White.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    It may come down to Rodgers and White.
    they'll keep as many wrs who can contribute. no other teams are poaching these guys for their practice squads.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,537
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I know there's no flashy names, but if you look at who was throwing the ball (if you can call it that) and the sorry excuses for OC's we've been subjected to seeing, I think it's possible we may actually be surprised if everybody can do their jobs.
    I hope so man but as of now I don't trust anyone outside of Kerley.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...stood_out.html

    Jets WR Zach Rogers stood out among deep class at Tennessee

    Throughout the offseason, we'll be looking at some of the under-the-radar players that will be competing for roster spots during OTAs and training camp. Today, we're highlighting wide receiver Zach Rogers out of Tennessee. His college position coach, Darin Hinshaw, was kind enough to help us understand how he might fit into an NFL offense.

    Darin Hinshaw had countless scouts in his office at Tennessee last season asking questions and watching film on Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter.

    As the Volunteers' wide receiver coach, it was easy to say nice things about two NFL-ready wideouts with first or second-round grades on them.

    But after sharing the tape, Hinshaw said everyone would leave asking more about Zach Rogers, the 6-0, 172-pound slot receiver who posted 32 catches for 491 yards and seven touchdowns his senior year.

    He wasn't surprised.

    "After you watched the games, they all wanted to know about Zach," Hinshaw, now the passing game coordinator at the University of Cincinnati, said by phone Friday. "And everybody said it: You got two good ones here, but Zach Rogers -- I don't want to say he's going to be the best one -- but the Jets are really going to like having him."

    He added: "You can always count on Zach Rogers. The only reason he's not super big-time is, he's 180 pounds and -- you know, he was just as fast as the other guys -- and honestly, it's because he's white." He said this part with a laugh.

    The curiosity surrounding Rogers ballooned last week when Rex Ryan pegged him as one of the early risers in rookie minicamp. Spotlighting prospects without pads on is a fickle, and often worthless, exercise but Hinshaw saw it coming after watching Rogers operate in his pro-style offense at Tennessee.

    The Vols' passing game drew from both the Patriots and Packers offenses. Rogers would be primarily used in the slot, but could split out to expand the offense. Opponents ran plenty of two-high safety looks against Tennessee to counter Hunter and Patterson and that's when Rogers would bump out wide.

    "He's so fast, the South Carolina game last year he played against some really good defensive backs and tore them up for three touchdowns," Hinshaw said. "But he can split out, we split him out to run the deep post and take the top off the defenses."

    The easy, and incorrect, way to pigeonhole a wide receiver like Rogers would be to compare him against current slot receivers of a similar body type: Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Eddie Royal, Jordan Shipley.

    "He's not Welker, Wes is a little squattier and has a lot of strength and is really, really quick," Hinshaw said. "Zach is very quick but doesn't have the strength Wes has. He's a little bit faster."

    Except for one similarity.

    "But he's definitely like those guys in that you can see him playing 15 years in the NFL," Hinshaw said.

    Rogers was fourth on the Volunteers in receiving (second in touchdowns) last season and played in all 12 games. He does have a history of injuries -- concussion, ankle, shoulder, triceps -- but that didn't stop a few draft analysts from labeling him as one of the top sleepers in the class.
    Assuming Hinshaw is correct in his assessment, it won't matter how good Rogers is unless we ge a real QB throwing the ball. You never heard about Wes Welker much until he had Tom Brady throwing to him and he was able to put his talents o full display. Unless we get a decent QB, Rogers may go unnoticed.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I hope so man but as of now I don't trust anyone outside of Kerley.
    All I know is that I'm always surprised with whatever happens...
    There seems to be a real quiet confidence around a lot of these guys, a lot of them coming up behind the bigger names.
    Seems like there's a pretty strong team mentality going on lately. More than I remember ever seeing, anyways.

    I'm REALLY excited about the Defense. Rex is all in at that! He'll make Revis seem irrelevant. Watch.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 05-25-2013 at 11:18 PM.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree.....bad qb play......a terrible OC and suspect o line play played a major part.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I really hope he can bring something to the table. Our WR corp is an embarrassment at the moment.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I disagree.....bad qb play......a terrible OC and suspect o line play played a major part.
    I agree, I'm not as down on our receiving core as others, it's got talent and can be successful when utilised in the right way/system.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice UDFA pickup

    should be able to really help our WR corps and offense in 2013 especially after the removal of the worst QB in the NFL obstacle that has held it back the past two seasons

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    He seems very different from welker as far as stockiness - hes taller and thinner, so hopefully he can gain some strength without losing his speed.

    Love the blocking clips, seems very aware of whats going on around him on the field and 110% effort.

    While I think jordan white should have played A LOT more last year (I despise clyde gates as a player) I dont think he is much competition for rogers as far as NFL athleticism.

    Time will tell but hopefully Rogers winds up being a good UDFA pickup

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us