Thread: off topic ..but help..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

off topic ..but help..

Leaving Fla for a trip to NYC...want to see Manhattan, (time square, brodway..ect.)..looking to stay in jersey and take the tracks to grand central station...then go from there..Does this sound like the way to go and avoid the Manhattan room prices..?.any ideas??..sugestions..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I'd check for some good prices on expedia etc. in NYC. Not sure you'll save all that much on the Jersey side and it's so much easier to walk out of your Manhattan hotel and be there. It makes it a whole different trip, and you aren't a slave to train schedules, especially if you are a night owl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    going to expedia now thanks...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Personally, I'd check for some good prices on expedia etc. in NYC. Not sure you'll save all that much on the Jersey side and it's so much easier to walk out of your Manhattan hotel and be there. It makes it a whole different trip, and you aren't a slave to train schedules, especially if you are a night owl.
    Agreed ... Of course the duration of your trip and time of week will greatly determine your expenditure. Even the most expensive of hotels can be attained at a discount.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    u should be able to get something decent in manhattan... better option...like newtown said as soon as u leave your hotel ur right in the thick of things...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely look on Craigslist for the equivalent of our "B+Bs"/ one night apartment rentals.
    Go to the Manhattan tab, search apartments, and set the price range from say $50 to $200. You'll find really nice apartments for rent by the day. Anything is better than the shoebox hotel rooms. Not sure if you have enough time to, but this is definitely the way to go when visiting the city.
    If you go this route read this helpful link to prevent getting scammed
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/3816519001.html

Also check out these guys- I've heard good things

https://www.airbnb.com/s/New-York--NY
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 05-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    hotwire is even better than expedia in your situation. Look for Brooklyn too.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    From jersey check out Hoboken ... You can take Path Train right into middle of Manhattan .... 10 minute train ride ... Not sure how old you are either but Hoboken is a nice fun young person bar scene as well

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't save much by staying anywhere trainable in NJ. Read up on www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com on how to get a great NYC deal from priceline.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    stay in Manhattan

there are plenty of decent affordable hotels that have been refurbished or newly built to accommodate the booming tourist trade. There is a Courtyard in the midtown area, for instance that is convenient to everything

There are NO trains that run from New Jersey to Grand Central, by the way but that is only one of the ten thousand reasons NOT to stay in New Jersey to visit New York City

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks again...just booked a room at the city club...w55th and 44thst..thanks..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check address. .these is no intersection of 55th and 44th Street..

55 West 44th maybe

Which is a great location

Good choice
    Last edited by sg3; 05-26-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Leaving Fla for a trip to NYC...want to see Manhattan, (time square, brodway..ect.)..looking to stay in jersey and take the tracks to grand central station...then go from there..Does this sound like the way to go and avoid the Manhattan room prices..?.any ideas??..sugestions..
    PAY THE HOTELS IN NYC...

The time you save will be worth it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can stay at the Palace Hotel cheap sometimes. I put my parents up there for $200 a night once.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Check address. .these is no intersection of 55th and 44th Street..

55 West 44th maybe

Which is a great location

Good choice
    yea thats it....haa

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We travel to NYC every year for XMas holiday. I never thought the few bucks you'd save would be worth the inconvenience of having shlep around. I've stayed at the Hyatt Grand Central and the rate is around $250. The Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey City (looks like it has great views of NYC right from the hotel) is about $220. If I were doing business in Jersey, that would be the hotel to be at. My advice is to pick the neighborhood you want to be in, then find something in your price range there. It's always fun to explore different neighborhoods. We try to stay at a different hotel each trip. Some of our favorites: The Benjamin, The Michaelangelo, Loews Regency and the Westin Times Square. Some of the bigger chains have smaller, but nice Garden hotels.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Jersey trains go to Penn Station

For Grand Central you need to be north of the city- Westchester or CT. As other posters have suggested its much better to stay in a NYC hotel since you will save over 2 hour a day commuting.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm originally from Jersey, and I always would stay in Jersey City, near the PATH trains, to beat the Manhattan room rates. Try googleing "Jersey City hotels near PATH". I think you can get a room for around $100 a night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must have found a great deal, the City Club lists at $369 for the smallest room. Have a great trip!