• Geno starts, plays better than Sanchez last yr

52 80.00%
  • Sanchez starts, plays well enough to stay a Jet

13 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the more likely scenario

Which is the more likely scenario

See poll, not going to editorialize at this point

You're missing the most realistic middle ground -- Sanchez starts because Geno isn't ready. Sanchez gets us through the tough part of the schedule, then Geno takes over to get experience against the lesser competition.

Neither case has much to do with who is "better" as both are likely to struggle. It just makes sense to let Mark take the lumps early then finish the season seeing what we have in Smith before we head into '14 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    You're missing the most realistic middle ground -- Sanchez starts because Geno isn't ready. Sanchez gets us through the tough part of the schedule, then Geno takes over to get experience against the lesser competition.

Neither case has much to do with who is "better" as both are likely to struggle. It just makes sense to let Mark take the lumps early then finish the season seeing what we have in Smith before we head into '14 . . .
    But that middle ground makes little sense. If he is going to play, play him and let him learn. Much different situation than Sanchez. Different OC, different QB coach, much more experienced in college, and has endured down times. I think the risk of "damaging" Geno is low.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    But that middle ground makes little sense. If he is going to play, play him and let him learn. Much different situation than Sanchez. Different OC, different QB coach, much more experienced in college, and has endured down times. I think the risk of "damaging" Geno is low.
    Agree to disagree. Four years of college experience might be a lot compared to Sanchez, but that's the norm for most QBs trying to make it in the NFL. That doesn't mean they're all ready on day one. Smith himself admits how much he has to learn/change about his game to adjust to the NFL -- why make him learn it on the fly against premium opponents? While he may not be "damaged", I also don't think a few more games experience will make that much of a difference in 2014. Let the kid come along at his own pace, and put him out there when he has the best chance for success . . .

Agree to disagree. Four years of college experience might be a lot compared to Sanchez, but that's the norm for most QBs trying to make it in the NFL. That doesn't mean they're all ready on day one. Smith himself admits how much he has to learn/change about his game to adjust to the NFL -- why make him learn it on the fly against premium opponents? While he may not be "damaged", I also don't think a few more games experience will make that much of a difference in 2014. Let the kid come along at his own pace, and put him out there when he has the best chance for success . . .
    Geno threw almost as many times last year in a complex offense with many pro elements than Montana did in his entire college career.

Geno threw almost as many times last year in a complex offense with many pro elements than Montana did in his entire college career.
    Good to know we're using Montana as our benchmark instead of the countless other QBs who weren't ready to step on the field day one . . .

All Pro

Sorry, but a realistic, middle ground makes little sense on JI.

I think people are REALLY selling Geno short...

You REALLY think Sanchez is a better option???

What have you been watching?! You know the Jets are in the white and green, right?

-Those Sanchez passes were the BAD kind of TD's

Ask the mods to change your title. It's obvious you meant what do you want the scenario to be, or you wouldn't be defending your position.

The question asked was what do you think the scenario will be. No justification required or even allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Ask the mods to change your title. It's obvious you meant what do you want the scenario to be, or you wouldn't be defending your position.

The question asked was what do you think the scenario will be. No justification required or even allowed.
    No I asked which outcome was more likely if each of the scenarios play out. Yes I want Geno to start, but I was trying to show that most people think the odds of him playing at least as well as Sanchez did was more likely than Sanchez playing well enough to keep his job.

The OP forgot to add one more option :

What's Vinny's phone number?

Almost everyone without an agenda would agree Sanchez has no chance to save his job. The more interesting poll would be whether Sanchez was "ruined by the Jets" or whether he was ever really a starting NFL caliber QB. I'm guessing that poll would be 50-50.

It would be hard for anyone to play as bad as Sanchez did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemuir View Post
    Almost everyone without an agenda would agree Sanchez has no chance to save his job. The more interesting poll would be whether Sanchez was "ruined by the Jets" or whether he was ever really a starting NFL caliber QB. I'm guessing that poll would be 50-50.
    It's amazing to me people don't realize how lucky mark had it.. Most qbs when their drafted top 5 or so go to bad teams.. Top qb prospects don't walk into a situation where he can piggyback on the best D, best running game in the nfl.. Name me another top of the draft qb that had both.. It's a rookie qb's wet dream.. Of course mark had best team at USC too, he does ok when he's on the very best teams.. The jets couldn't stay atop the league in D and running forever, after being sanchez's crutch for 2 years the team attempted to lean on him.. He folded like a cheap suit.. Not his fault, he tried.. Look how many other top 10 picks were busts.. Sanchez def wasn't a sure thing, if he had negative media the same way geno did right before the draft mark would have dropped to the 3rd round.. Look what happened to Barkley, easy top 10 if he came out last yr, this yr drops to 4th?

Jets Insider VIP
    Smith starts, McElroy and Simms back up, Buttfumble6 released in June

Sanchez is just a tool for Geno's development. As soon as camp ends he should be cut. There is 0 reason to keep him on this team if you plan on winning games. It doesnt even matter if he is the 2nd best option. Keeping him is just too much of a locker room distraction. He has no heart or mind for the game. You have to cut ties with him. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Sanchez is a tool
    Fixed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Sanchez is just a tool for Geno's development. As soon as camp ends he should be cut. There is 0 reason to keep him on this team if you plan on winning games. It doesnt even matter if he is the 2nd best option. Keeping him is just too much of a locker room distraction. He has no heart or mind for the game. You have to cut ties with him. Period.
    +1 He's hanging around just to milk paychecks.

I think he learned that from Chad in Cortland.

Chad said, "Stay cool and say all the right things. Promise to improve, that's all they need to hear ... (wink)."

Last edited by jetrider; 05-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Veteran
    The third option should be the QB competition continues through the regular season as the rudderless ship searches for a win.
    Last edited by jetrider; 05-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.

All Pro
    Obviously Geno starting and playing better than Sanchez last year. Did you see Sanchez play last year?