Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanchez, not Geno, should begin season as Jets' starting QB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good article

We should all be rooting for Sanchez to settle and work through his inconsistencies, flaws, and confidence, and really stabilize himself.

It is the best for Geno's development.

If Geno takes off faster than expected and out performs Sanchez, so be it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason why I'd want Sanchez to start at this point is if:

a) he can somehow play like the past 2 seasons haven't happened (which I strongly doubt at this point)
    or
    b) if Geno taking over for him (inevitable at some point) could lead to Rex being fired- I have seen enough of Rex as the head coach of this team.

Reason B is not logical as that would entail rooting against the Jets at some point (which is hard to do, although we talk about it in the worst of times).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Good article

We should all be rooting for Sanchez to settle and work through his inconsistencies, flaws, and confidence, and really stabilize himself.

It is the best for Geno's development.

If Geno takes off faster than expected and out performs Sanchez, so be it.
    I agree 100%

Why can't fans see this instead of rooting against the players on their own tem!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jet fans have had to suffer through the worst two seasons of disastrous QB play, arguably in team history.

52 interceptions, lost fumbles and the laughable buttfumble as the crowning moment

We recognize he sucks and want no more of him and his incompetance on the field or our team anymore

June 1... Make it happen, Big John

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I agree 100%

Why can't fans see this instead of rooting against the players on their own tem!!!!
    I think you need to differentiate between "rooting" and "believing"

If Mark Sanchez is on the field at QB, I (and I'd best most) will ROOT for him hard.

If you ask me if I BELIEVE Mark Sanchez is a good QB? If he can "get back to form"? If he can be a Franchise QB that can win 12 games?

No, I don't believe that at all. I BELIEVE he's a bad QB for many reasons.

I'll root for him. But it'd take a ton for me to believe in him.

I believe any Championship future out Jets have will be in the hands of someone else. Not neccessarily Smith, mind, but not Sanchez.

But if he's the guy we're stuck with...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Let's see if Lolchez can get to 50 buttfumbles before the bye week.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here some food for thought:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...been-sky-high/

Mornhinweg said Sanchez’s “completion percentage and accuracy percentage have been sky-high up to date.”

Mornhinweg grades both areas separately when evaluating quarterbacks. The comments to Cimini came after Sanchez threw three interceptions in practice last Wednesday. No confirmation, however, if any pass that doesn’t touch the ground goes into the plus-column on the grade sheet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    after Sanchez threw three interceptions in practice last Wednesday.
    Are our CB's that good???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Depends on who caught it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That article sums up exactly what I've been thinking. Thanks for posting OP.

We've got to start thinking more long term. Giving Geno a chance to get up to speed is the right thing to do. Sanchaz might surprise on the upside and if not then McElroy up next might surprise on the upside. If they both fail then I can see putting Geno in at the 3/4 pole.

No matter how it plays out, unless we clearly uncover our franchise QB this year I think we draft another early in 2014.
    How exactly does geno sitting help our future?

Are there young QBs from the last 3-4 years who are providing and example that sitting for a year is beneficial?

Geno's skill set happens to be an excellent fit for the offense we are going to run. He has a lot of experience throwing screen passes and slants, and has the arm to take shots downfield.

Sanchez happens to struggle enormously throwing screens, has lost his own confidence as well as that of his teammates and has never been a 60% passer.

There cant be a better situation to let play out and see if Geno improves and Sanchez continues to struggle.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    How exactly does geno sitting help our future?

Are there young QBs from the last 3-4 years who are providing and example that sitting for a year is beneficial?

Geno's skill set happens to be an excellent fit for the offense we are going to run. He has a lot of experience throwing screen passes and slants, and has the arm to take shots downfield.

Sanchez happens to struggle enormously throwing screens, has lost his own confidence as well as that of his teammates and has never been a 60% passer.

There cant be a better situation to let play out and see if Geno improves and Sanchez continues to struggle.

Relax, Eagle...Idzik and the coaches have seen enough in practice to know that there is no new version ...Buttfumble 2.0..who will emerge from this competition wearing an S cape, tights and a green girly headband.

The horror of 2011 and 2012 is all that's left and nobody is putting that out there again.

Either Smith or McElroy will be the starting QB for the Jets in 2013

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Santonio, and Hill are out, and we're learning a brand new offense. That said. One was not his fault. Went through the receivers hands. One may or may not have been the receivers fault. The one to snacks was all on Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know. Each young QB is a different scenario. You cannot ever predict with any accuracy how well a QB develops based on what prior young QB's have done. It's all about that individual person each and every time.

The man that wins the QB competition should be the starting QB. That's why they are holding one. If it turns out to be Sanchez then fine. They are not going to move Sanchez at this point. I can't see that happening. So we need to make the most of a bad situation.

With any luck it will be Geno Smith. I would like to get on with the Geno years sooner rather than later, but that is all up to him. He must prove himself for that to be possible.

But PLEASE Rex, DO NOT simply give someone the starting job. That is the worst mistake you have made since becoming a Head Coach. Make any guy EARN it, and as a result, YOU, the players, CS, and the fans will all respect that the man won the job. Everyone will rally around that guy.

Then, from that point forward? Do exactly what you did for Mark Sanchez. Surround him with talent. Give him all of the weapons to have at his disposal. Let him have a potent running game that he can lean on. Give him a defense that can dominate and get him the ball back to work with. Give him top notch WR's to work with. Doing that for Mark Sanchez was the right thing to do, unfortunately, Sanchez could never graduate from having those weapons to lean on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That article sums up exactly what I've been thinking. Thanks for posting OP.

We've got to start thinking more long term. Giving Geno a chance to get up to speed is the right thing to do. Sanchaz might surprise on the upside and if not then McElroy up next might surprise on the upside. If they both fail then I can see putting Geno in at the 3/4 pole.

No matter how it plays out, unless we clearly uncover our franchise QB this year I think we draft another early in 2014.
    This. The only thing that determines whether Geno starts Day 1 should be whether Geno is ready to start Day 1. Not whether he's the best QB on the team coming out of training camp, but whether he would be the best QB on a team with an average NFL starting QB on the roster.

Being the best QB on the Jets, given their roster of QBs, is roughly like being the best QB in my office. A nice title, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're ready to start an NFL game.

The decision to start Geno should be made based on Geno's absolute level of readiness and skill - not whether he is comparatively the best option.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    This. The only thing that determines whether Geno starts Day 1 should be whether Geno is ready to start Day 1. Not whether he's the best QB on the team coming out of training camp, but whether he would be the best QB on a team with an average NFL starting QB on the roster.

Being the best QB on the Jets, given their roster of QBs, is roughly like being the best QB in my office. A nice title, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're ready to start an NFL game.

The decision to start Geno should be made based on Geno's absolute level of readiness and skill - not whether he is comparatively the best option.
    Partially agree. At the start of the season, the decision should be based on whether Geno appears good enough to be a starting QB, but not necessarily that he'd beat out an average starting QB, he doesn't need to be one of the 16 best QBs in the league to start.

Later in the season, assuming the seasons goes how most expect (Sanchez plays like Sanchez, Jets lose more than win), Geno should be starting as long as he won't be a train wreck. Assuming Sanchez doesn't figure out how to be a good QB, Geno should get at the very least five games to show what he can do.