Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Z's player agent business being investigated?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Jay Z's player agent business being investigated?

Just heard a very quick mention on the radio that Jay Z's agency is being investigated, possibly by the NFL Players Assoc.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Found this. Not sure if this is a big deal.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1354868#bmb=1

The NFL Players Association is investigating Jay-Z’s role in Geno Smith’s decision to choose Kim Miale and Roc Nation as his agency, according to NFL.com.

The rap star’s possible involvement in Smith’s decision could be a violation of the “runner rule” that doesn’t allow non-agents to help recruit athletes for agencies. Smith spent time with Jay-Z, as evidenced at least by an Instagram picture the Jets quarterback posted of him with the musician.

What qualifies someone an 'agent' according to the NFLPA? If he has an agency doesn't that make him an 'agent'?

Hall Of Fame
    I posted some related articles in the "Geno Smith signs with Roc Nation Sports" thread.

My guess is that the NFLPA is doing due diligence and some current agents are stirring the pot b.c this will hurt their business.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What qualifies someone an 'agent' according to the NFLPA? If he has an agency doesn't that make him an 'agent'?
    Not 100% sure by I think you have to be certified by the NFL and NFLPA. I think it is pretty much the same for all the major sports.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No. Must be certified. Kim Miale is a certified NFLPA agent. There's an application process, seminar, an exam you must pass, etc

EDIT: Is that a photoshopped headband on Geno in your sig? lol
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Required:

Non-refundable Application fee of $2,500.00
    Undergraduate AND Post Graduate degree (Masters or Law) from an accredited college/university (see FAQs)
    Authorization to perform a background investigation
    Mandatory attendance at a 2013 two (2) day seminar in Washington, DC
    Successful completion of written proctored examination
    Valid Email address download a PDF version of the regulations

Date to File:January 11, 2013 - February 11, 2013.

Application:

The application, release forms and fees must be completed electronically.
    Do not mail an application to the NFLPA.

The Seminar and Examination:

July 25-26, 2013, Washington, DC.
    Hotel location and other pertinent information will be provided if your application has been approved.

Examination:

The examination will cover the CBA, the Salary Cap, Player Benefits, NFLPA Regulations Governing Contract Advisors, Substances of Abuse/Steroid Policies and other issues relevant to player representation. It is a 60 question multiple-choice examination and has a time limit of three hours. It is also open book and you may use your prepared notes while taking the exam. Testing will be on the second day of the seminar immediately after lunch. Source documents needed for the seminar/lecture and examination will be mailed once an applicant has been approved. Do not contact the NFLPA to get the documents in advance. Each approved applicant will be sent materials only after the exam has been finalized, however; many of the reference documents covering the lecture and examination can be found on this website.

Examination results should be available within (8) weeks of testing. As per the Regulations, you are prohibited from recruiting or representing any players until you have been notified that you have passed the exam, paid the required annual fee and obtained the required liability insurance.

Certification:

Continued compliance with the Regulations is required in order to maintain certification. Compliance includes but is not limited to paying an annual fee immediately following successfully passing the exam and obtaining professional liability insurance from an approved carrier, attending one of three NFLPA seminars held each year for Certified Contract Advisors, providing an updated application on an annual basis, and negotiating at least one player contract within a three-year period.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I posted some related articles in the "Geno Smith signs with Roc Nation Sports" thread.

My guess is that the NFLPA is doing due diligence and some current agents are stirring the pot b.c this will hurt their business.
    That's probably a big chunk of it, but the intention of the runner rule is to keep player's from being taken advantage of and persuaded by those who are not certified agents. Jay Z seems to have a reputable firm with certified agents, and probably conducts business in a way that's on the up and up. But you can easily imagine a situation where some other celeb using his star power to say to a 21 year old NFL rookie, "hey man, come sign up with my cousin who just passed the NFLPA agent exam. He can rep you really well."
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.

All League

This case is interesting because Jay Z owns the agency, but isn't a certified agent. Even if he was a certified agent, he isn't Geno's agent.

But, I don't see how the Nflpa can prevent all non-agents from participating in the recruitment of players. For example, Geno's real agent probably has a secretary in his office. Wouldn't he/she help in the recruitment?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If you own a football team does that make you a player??

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If you own a football team does that make you a player??
    No but it does make you a 'player'.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

No but it does make you a 'player'.
    And a bit rough on women.. http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...s/download.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

EDIT: Is that a photoshopped headband on Geno in your sig? lol
    Yes, I wanted to welcome him to the club and not feel left out

This test sounds QUITE rigorous:

The examination will cover the CBA, the Salary Cap, Player Benefits, NFLPA Regulations Governing Contract Advisors, Substances of Abuse/Steroid Policies and other issues relevant to player representation. It is a 60 question multiple-choice examination and has a time limit of three hours. It is also open book and you may use your prepared notes while taking the exam. Testing will be on the second day of the seminar immediately after lunch. Source documents needed for the seminar/lecture and examination will be mailed once an applicant has been approved. Do not contact the NFLPA to get the documents in advance. Each approved applicant will be sent materials only after the exam has been finalized, however; many of the reference documents covering the lecture and examination can be found on this website.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    This test sounds QUITE rigorous:
    LOL... The MBE (Multi-State Bar Exam) is also multiple choice and open book (120 I believe but it's been a few years), but it's a friggin' beast.

Btw, jetstream, thanks for posting that info. I didn't know those were the requirements to become an NFL agent. I'll be filing in 2014. I hope Jay-Z is reading this thread.

Now back on topic, it's definitely other agents that are pushing this issue because they know Jay-z's agency is already pulling some big names and will definitely be getting more soon.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 05-27-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

That's probably a big chunk of it, but the intention of the runner rule is to keep player's from being taken advantage of and persuaded by those who are not certified agents. Jay Z seems to have a reputable firm with certified agents, and probably conducts business in a way that's on the up and up. But you can easily imagine a situation where some other celeb using his star power to say to a 21 year old NFL rookie, "hey man, come sign up with my cousin who just passed the NFLPA agent exam. He can rep you really well."
    The runner rule is born of the reality that people made a living out of getting close to college players -- hanging out with them, buying them stuff, etc.. -- and then basically told the real agents, pay me, if you want my man to sign with you. Runners are a parasite infecting the system.

In addition to Geno's new agents perhaps violating the Runner-ban by using Jay Z, it also a a violation of the NFLPA regulations for an Agent to solicit a client who is already under contract with another agent.

Hopefully, Geno will just rid himself of this headache by deciding to go with someone like Tom Condon.

Don't worry Obama will take care of his pal, AMIRITE?

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    LOL... The MBE (Multi-State Bar Exam) is also multiple choice and open book (120 I believe but it's been a few years), but it's a friggin' beast.
    Not sure where or when you took the MBE, but it is closed book. There are so many questions (200, many of them with long fact patterns) that having books with you would actually be counter-productive. You wouldn't come close to finishing the exam if you spent time rummaging through your materials.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Don't worry Obama will take care of his pal, AMIRITE?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Not sure where or when you took the MBE, but it is closed book. There are so many questions (200, many of them with long fact patterns) that having books with you would actually be counter-productive. You wouldn't come close to finishing the exam if you spent time rummaging through your materials.
    You're right. I was mistaken about the open book part. I had it confused with a state specific part (that's what I get for posting @ 2 AM). Damn, I hated that exam.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 05-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    You're right. I was mistaken about the open book part. I had it confused with a state specific part (that's what I get for posting @ 2 AM). Damn, I hated that exam.
    Better luck in the exam! LOL.