Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mornhin-why?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Your constant kissing of the amazingly horrible Suckchez' butt is becoming irritating....Good Grief! !
    Hmmmmm yes I who have been a suffering Jets fan since I was a child and Namath was my idol, want continued crappy play from Sanchez at QB so we never win any meaningful games let alone a SB and I have cleverly enrolled our OC MM into my conspiracy!!!!

Yea that makes sense!!!

All I am saying is please not lets get out our rope and lynch mob started even before a preseason game has commenced!!!

Lets let the coaches try and improve the team and then see what we have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Thought this article on NFL.com was relevant to this :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...njured-players

Philadelphia Eagles

Games missed: Offensive tackle Jason Peters (16), center Jason Kelce (14), tackle/guard Todd Herremans (8), quarterback Michael Vick (6), wide receiver DeSean Jackson (5), running back LeSean McCoy (4)

Analysis: It's hard to separate Vick's struggles last season from the decimated Eagles offensive line. For half of the season, left guard Evan Mathis was the only healthy starter up front. December was not kind to three of the team's most potent weapons, as McCoy missed three of the five games that month, Vick missed four and Jackson missed all of them.
    Regardless of who is under center in Week 1, the offense will run more smoothly with three above-average linemen returning to join first-round draft pick Lane Johnson. The speed and versatility of McCoy and Jackson will be emphasized in Chip Kelly's up-tempo offense.
    This helps put some sparkle back in the green colored glasses. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Morning is just a temporary coach. Next year we get rid of Rex and allow the new coach to name his own staff.
    I'm happy to say you are VERY wrong.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    The confusion itself is concerning.

Last year it was clearly Mornhinweg calling the plays. As the offense sputtered Reid considered taking back playcalling responsibility.

But that same link also states "Reid called his own plays from 1999 through the middle of 2006; the Eagles went to four NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl with Reid doing his own play-calling. However, the Eagles had their highest-scoring stretch ever with Mornhinweg doing it."

I just cannot reconcile the offensive talent the Eagles had last year with a 29th ranked offense and a 4-12 record. Same goes for an 8-8 record the season before.

But I may just go full Ray Ray and focus on "the Eagles had their highest-scoring stretch ever with Mornhinweg doing it."
    What in the world does the OC have to do with a lousy defense? If they're scoring points then Marty did his job. It's not like they gave him Tom Brady to work with either. Last year the team fell apart at the seams. You guys really have to stretch to find things to complain about.

Jets fans tend to over-react to fluff pieces like this one - and I absolutely understand why.

Its been an embarrassing couple of years, thats for sure.

Mornhingweg's lack of success as a HC does not really reflect on his ability as a coordinator - some guys are great at the X's and O's but do not have the wherewithal to run the team from top to bottom - incidentally, this is exactly how we'll view Rex at the end of his tenure as Jets HC.

Sanchez is a hot button topic right now, Marty should know that when he floats opinions on Marks accuracy - especially after a 3 interception day - he has to be aware of the level of cynicism this will be met with.

In the overall scheme of things, like much of OTA's and pre-season, none of this really means very much.

Alot of the factors that go into deciding who the starting QB will be are hidden from most fans - because we only hear about what the media see's and only then; after they've put their own spin on things.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Morning is just a temporary coach. Next year we get rid of Rex and allow the new coach to name his own staff.
    Looking forward eagerly to the Jets extending Coach Ryan's contract for another 3-5 years during this season.

Two reasons...1. He is a terrific HC and deserves it and 2. it will piss off SOJF trolls like rextillion and a few other sarry assed negative nellies

Looking forward eagerly to the Jets extending Coach Ryan's contract for another 3-5 years during this season.

Two reasons...1. He is a terrific HC and deserves it and 2. it will piss off SOJF trolls like rextillion and a few other sarry assed negative nellies
    I really don't understand the gushing praise of Rex Ryan.

Huge fan of his ability to craft an excellent defense, probably one of the best in the league on that side of things - but the HC has to be more responsible than just the side of the ball he finds most comfortable.

The offense has been a growing problem - a trend likely to continue this season - and its really hamstringing any chances we have of making the playoffs.

Maybe there is room to say he will eventaully be a 'terrific HC' but I honestly can't see how you can make that case right now.

3. It will make every Pats fan jump for joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caught_Jetster View Post

Huge fan of his ability to craft an excellent defense, probably one of the best in the league on that side of things - but the HC has to be more responsible than just the side of the ball he finds most comfortable.

The offense has been a growing problem - a trend likely to continue this season - and its really hamstringing any chances we have of making the playoffs.

Maybe there is room to say he will eventaully be a 'terrific HC' but I honestly can't see how you can make that case right now.
    Shut up... You can't make a case he's not either. Nice name...

Veteran
    I thought Henning was our most scientific OC.

Hackett compared designing an offense to "making a stew."

Schottenheimer was a student, Sparano a Jackass-of-no-trades.

I really don't know what to expect from Marty, but gotta say this about him.

Every time I watched a Philly game or switched the channel during a Jets break, their offense compared to ours was night and day.

Eagles exploded off the ball, got instant separation, ran well around the edges, and everything was at rocket speed.

Why can't the Jets do that? I wondered.

When I saw who the OC was I thought, really? That guy? The knucklehead from Detroit?

They'd move the ball with ease but Vick imploded in the redzone a lot. Vick alone pissed away so many impressive drives.

Plus he's never 100% healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I can well believe that MM is telling the truth about Sanchez .. thing is he always has looked good in practice / OTA's, but when it's game time all that good accuracy and decision making goes out the window. So I don't believe it's "emperor's new clothes" at all, but I also don't believe we're seeing a "new Sanchez" just yet.

If he can keep it up when it's for real, and he's getting knocked around in the pocket, then I'll start to believe.
    I said the same thing weeks ago.

Mark treats it like a regular Mon-Fri job and on Sundays he rests and takes a mental vacation.

Fans are jazzed to kick some ass and Mark shows up like a donkey on tranquilizers.

LOL... I can't believe people, JETS "fans", actually believe Sanchez is even MEDIOCRE!

I wish you people worked for Miami or New England or something!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Caught_Jetster View Post

would love to respond but you showed yourself to be an intolerant anti-Semite in the unlamented Oday-terrorist thread and thus I have self-banned you until the mods follow through and make it official

With the lack of competant QB right now no oc is going to look great. All I can say is I have about 1000% more confidence that this guy will have an nfl offense than the horrible awful hire that was sparano.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Shut up... You can't make a case he's not either. Nice name...
    I'm a big fan of starting constructive debate with the phrase "Shut up", so well done there.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Are you talking about on the Jets

If so, this is preposterous!!!!

Chad Pennington and his back up went down as the result of injuries on two consecqutive series!!!

Brooks Bollinger was the next man up and only folks out here and one reporter thought Bollinger was the next Johnny U!!!

It is absolute insanity to say because person "A" wasnt a good HC he isnt a good OC.....

Ummm ever hear of Norv Turner!!!

Come on man you are a better poster than this!!!
    Chad Pennington was coming off shoulder surgery and didn't have a great arm to begin with. His back up had a notoriously weak arm. Dinger installs a down the field passing attack for Chad Pennington and Jay Fieldler neither of whom could throw down field and you think that was brilliant. Having Chad and Fielder sitting in the pocket forever is on the OC who couldn'
    t figure out what his personal could do.

Morngwig is an okay OC he hasn't accomplished anything. He is more recycled trash. The Jets hired Rex because he was an innovative. The hired Morningwig because he wasn't controversial. He is another disciple he isn't a creative state of the art offensive mind. We are most certainly thinking in the box on O. If you want to applaud that kind of thinking when we have a rival in our division who runs the best O in the league fine. I don't agree.

If you don't think scheme matters when you have a weak armed QB who is coming off shoulder surgery you're not thinking about what the OC job is. Protect the QB who is the life blood of team. Dinger didn't do that he put his QB at risk because he wanted to run his scheme in spite of the personal.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 05-28-2013 at 11:07 AM.

would love to respond but you showed yourself to be an intolerant anti-Semite in the unlamented Oday-terrorist thread and thus I have self-banned you until the mods follow through and make it official
    Ahhhh well okay then, thats your privelege, I guess.

I wouldn't hold your breath on me getting banned either, unless you've learned to survive extremely long periods without oxygen.

You have a great day now.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I think he has more in common with Sparano than Schottenheimer. Both Sparano and Wornhinweg have losing records as head coaches. Both had lackluster offenses and losing seasons before joining the Jets.

Say what you will about Schotty but he has only 2 losing seasons on his resume as a offensive coordinator while working with about a half dozen different QBs.
    I can't say this enough. I don't know if Mornhinweg will be good, but the fact that he wasn't successful as a head coach has no bearing on if he's a good coordinator.

Norv Turner is the most obvious example. Buddy Ryan (depending on who you ask, Rex Ryan), Dick Lebeau, Dan Henning, Jason Garrett, Mike Mularky, etc...

Good Coordinators become head coaches, most head coaches get fired. Why? Most coordinators are not good head coaches.

Mornhinweg has been an OC for 11 season with 2 teams, He finished in top 10 in points 8 times, and top 5, 5 times. He's finished top 10 in yards 7 times. Again, he could be terrible for the Jets, but it's quite simplistic to say the "Eagles had a lackluster offense" without acknowledging he coached a team that lost their starting RB, starting QB, and #1 WR for significant chunks of the season.

I just cannot reconcile the offensive talent the Eagles had last year with a 29th ranked offense and a 4-12 record. Same goes for an 8-8 record the season before.
    You do have to reconcile that McCoy got hurt at the end of the season, though. Also that DeSean Jackson missed a bunch of the season, and that they were starting a 3rd round rookie QB for 6 games.

Also, they were top 10 in yards and points the year before (and the 3 previous years as well, except they were 11th in yards, one season). I'm not sure if you can pin the 8-8 record solely on the offense in 2011.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 05-28-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Is there any fanbase that is happy with their OC? All of them seem to criticize the playcalling, decisions, etc.

I just know that Schotty and Sparano were not working out for us. So I'm glad they brought in some new blood. I doubt MM will be able to get the offense to become a high flying attack. That certainly isn't going to happen this season. But I am all for seeing this through with MM. Give him what he wants/needs and lets see what he can do.

All you need to know is that Marty Mornhinweg is now on the Jet coaching staff. It does not bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Is there any fanbase that is happy with their OC? All of them seem to criticize the playcalling, decisions, etc.

I just know that Schotty and Sparano were not working out for us. So I'm glad they brought in some new blood. I doubt MM will be able to get the offense to become a high flying attack. That certainly isn't going to happen this season. But I am all for seeing this through with MM. Give him what he wants/needs and lets see what he can do.
    that's the thing. it's not just the OC. it's whether the team has the right talent to fit what the OC wants to do. the OC has a system, typically, and the question now for the jets is, can geno be good in the WCO? they dont' have surrounding talent yet, but if geno can run it, they'll focus on surrounding him with wrs/tes/rbs next offseason.