Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mornhin-why?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, wtf is wrong with our fans... ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, all of this aside, the fact that Mornhinweg separately tracks completion percentage and accuracy percentage is encouraging. In the long run, accuracy is more important than completion percentage

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    The video of Brian Westbrook's highlights reminded me of the Hackett offense. With Curtis Martin you had a guy that was smart durable and could pick up the blitz. Not so explosive, but a great ball control offense, which is the first thing that BILL PARCELLS (all saints be praised) installed upon arriving in Hempstead.

Mmmm, hemp.

Anyway,

The WCO is chip, chip, chip and then break the big one. Misdirection. Ball control. Matchups.

Something new.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caught_Jetster View Post
    I really don't understand the gushing praise of Rex Ryan.

Huge fan of his ability to craft an excellent defense, probably one of the best in the league on that side of things - but the HC has to be more responsible than just the side of the ball he finds most comfortable.

The offense has been a growing problem - a trend likely to continue this season - and its really hamstringing any chances we have of making the playoffs.
    What is making you believe that the offense will continue to be a problem this year? You've expressed confidence in MM as an OC earlier in this thread, so is it that you think the talent on offense is weak? If so, is that the fault of the (previous) GM, or the head coach?

Posters (like me) who still believe in Rex as a HC likely do so because he did a great job his first two years on the job. There were definitely some issues the last two seasons, so I think it's fair to consider this a year where he needs to prove himself again - but I think he will.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    (looks at calendar)

Yup, it's still May.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Itdzik does not care about his season. He needs to see what he has as an organization. From the top all the way down to the ball boys. Woody will not let him get rid of certain people, this is how you do it. The main problem is Woody. He has to show Woody, that he has to let him rebuild, rebuild with out him butting in. Owners like in Dallas and Washington fail. Money does not make you a builder of a football team, bringing the correct people does.
    Only a fan would believe that any NFL GM would not care about the upcoming season.

Just as only a fan goes into a season, in May, thinking there is no way to win.

And only fans think their owners suck and are at fault thinking their teams owner is in the company of the leagues worst.

Love to hear the supposed player decisions that Woody made that have ruined this team. While overlooking the stadium, the practice facilities, the money he has freely spent. Without a shred of evidence that he pushed for even one single player.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    What is making you believe that the offense will continue to be a problem this year? You've expressed confidence in MM as an OC earlier in this thread, so is it that you think the talent on offense is weak? If so, is that the fault of the (previous) GM, or the head coach?

Posters (like me) who still believe in Rex as a HC likely do so because he did a great job his first two years on the job. There were definitely some issues the last two seasons, so I think it's fair to consider this a year where he needs to prove himself again - but I think he will.
    I believe there is a serious talent/coaching deficit on the offensive side of the ball and that falls on Rex Ryan - he always gives me the impression of only really caring about how his defence played.

Its not that I have huge confidence in MM - simply that I don't think any previous tenures as HC have much bearing on his ability to produce as an OC.

I'd love to see Rex turn it around, he definitely has the football brain to do it - its just I feel the players don't look at him in the light they should - that lack of respect for the leadership leads to a steady stream of leaks of press vultures like Mehta - who certainly don't need any help advancing their 'Jets circus' agenda.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Looking forward eagerly to the Jets extending Coach Ryan's contract for another 3-5 years during this season.

Two reasons...1. He is a terrific HC and deserves it and
    You are laying it on a bit thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    All you need to know is that Marty Mornhinweg is now on the Jet coaching staff. It does not bode well.
    This cannot be overlooked.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I can't say this enough. I don't know if Mornhinweg will be good, but the fact that he wasn't successful as a head coach has no bearing on if he's a good coordinator.

Norv Turner is the most obvious example. Buddy Ryan (depending on who you ask, Rex Ryan), Dick Lebeau, Dan Henning, Jason Garrett, Mike Mularky, etc...

Good Coordinators become head coaches, most head coaches get fired. Why? Most coordinators are not good head coaches.

Mornhinweg has been an OC for 11 season with 2 teams, He finished in top 10 in points 8 times, and top 5, 5 times. He's finished top 10 in yards 7 times. Again, he could be terrible for the Jets, but it's quite simplistic to say the "Eagles had a lackluster offense" without acknowledging he coached a team that lost their starting RB, starting QB, and #1 WR for significant chunks of the season.

You do have to reconcile that McCoy got hurt at the end of the season, though. Also that DeSean Jackson missed a bunch of the season, and that they were starting a 3rd round rookie QB for 6 games.

Also, they were top 10 in yards and points the year before (and the 3 previous years as well, except they were 11th in yards, one season). I'm not sure if you can pin the 8-8 record solely on the offense in 2011.

... A well thought out and supported post ... this has no business here!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my issue-

When the team plays well, sanchez has a limited number of attempts. When sanchez has a high number of attempts, usually a bad outcome.
    Now we are going to institute the wco where the qb, likely sanchez will get a high number of attempts by design. I am not liking this combination. Hopefully sanchez bucks this trend

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Here is my issue-

When the team plays well, sanchez has a limited number of attempts. When sanchez has a high number of attempts, usually a bad outcome.
    Now we are going to institute the wco where the qb, likely sanchez will get a high number of attempts by design. I am not liking this combination. Hopefully sanchez bucks this trend
    Playing well at the right time is what got Eli props in the Giants 2 bowl wins.. In 2011 Sanchez had a total of 32 td's both passing and rushing but they didn't come at the right time..Sort of like a slugger in baseball striking out with the bases loaded yet hit's a HR when it really doesn't matter.. I hope if Sanchez is the starter that he plays well but I think if he wants to continue his career it won't be as QB on the Jets..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget MM. Our offense will only be as good as our offensive line allows them to be. With that said, I am very excited about our prospects because we may the best collection of young offensive linemen in RR tenure with the team. If we can get some decent contributions from our TEs Rueland, Smith and Cumby (plus some veteran back up) we can have a very versatile offense. Our running backs are also very talented and explosive and for the most part can both run and catch out of the backfield. If we can get some decent play from our WRs than I think we will surprise alot of people. As much as our receivers are maligned, their problem has less to do with talent than with reps and experience. I think the combination of Hill, Kerley, Holmes, (assuming healthy) along with Gates and comers Rogers and perhaps Davis (plus veteran signing) will be more than serviceable inhmo if Sanchez or Smith gets the time.

I would love for Smith to beat Sanchez out for the job outright. If he doesn't I don't see Sanchez keeping the job through out the season; he is just too mistake prone. So I predict by game 6 or 7, Geno Jet to take over the reigns at QB and excel in MMs offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The OP was a big Schitty supporter back in the day.

That, in itself, is enough for this thread to be dumped.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Chad Pennington was coming off shoulder surgery and didn't have a great arm to begin with. His back up had a notoriously weak arm. Dinger installs a down the field passing attack for Chad Pennington and Jay Fieldler neither of whom could throw down field and you think that was brilliant. Having Chad and Fielder sitting in the pocket forever is on the OC who couldn'
    t figure out what his personal could do.

Morngwig is an okay OC he hasn't accomplished anything. He is more recycled trash. The Jets hired Rex because he was an innovative. The hired Morningwig because he wasn't controversial. He is another disciple he isn't a creative state of the art offensive mind. We are most certainly thinking in the box on O. If you want to applaud that kind of thinking when we have a rival in our division who runs the best O in the league fine. I don't agree.

If you don't think scheme matters when you have a weak armed QB who is coming off shoulder surgery you're not thinking about what the OC job is. Protect the QB who is the life blood of team. Dinger didn't do that he put his QB at risk because he wanted to run his scheme in spite of the personal.
    You keep saying it, but that doesn't make it true. I put out the numbers.
    5th, 3rd, 22nd, 6th, 6th, 17th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 8th, 29th. So in eleven seasons he averaged 10th in the league. Find me a better, more experienced, more consistent OC that's available. Go ahead I'll wait. Just throw the names out there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    5th, 3rd, 22nd, 6th, 6th, 17th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 8th, 29th. So in eleven seasons he averaged 10th in the league. Find me a better, more experienced, more consistent OC that's available. Go ahead I'll wait. Just throw the names out there.
    Without going into dissection, and debate, those are impressive rankings.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Here is my issue-

Start with Sanchez will not be our QB and finish with the O will be tailored to the personnel that is on the field.

Not that hard. Other QBs ran the WCO, lots have. Only here is it this big an issue.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Bbbbbut Andy might not have wanted him to go west. That means.....something, Jets management couldn't possible hire someone good...have to know what others thing before we're on board with a hire...we're stupid and need help.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Without going into dissection, and debate, those are impressive rankings.

Two things to note. Early in his career he had Steve Young and the 49ers offense, which makes his first few seasons in SF look great, but you know, he had Steve Young, TO, and Jerry Rice. However, his two bad seasons were similar. Both cases, the starting QB went down (Steve Young, Donovan McNabb) and replaced with rookie QBs (Jeff Garcia, Nick Foles).

Garcia's 2nd season under Mornhinweg he threw 31 TDs and 10 INTs. In other words, he's never had had a "non-top 10 season" where he didn't lose his starting QB for significant time. As an OC he's only develolped one QB (Garcia, who was 28 when he started playing with 49ers), certainly a concern.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    The OP was a big Schitty supporter back in the day.

That, in itself, is enough for this thread to be dumped.
    I don't know, man...I don't think there were ever any Schitty supporters. Nobody ever really thought he was a good OC, but a few people (myself included) thought he was saddled with crap at the QB position.

Seems like most on the board agree about the QB position now.

MM's ceiling (like Schotty's), will only be as high as the QB play allows it to be. Then, if the play from under center improves, we'll see if he can make a difference in the situational play-calling, which is where I thought Schotty was terrible.

I also think MM will do an infinitely better job with a rookie QB than Schotty did with Sanchez. But it's all guesswork at this stage.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I don't know, man...I don't think there were ever any Schitty supporters. Nobody ever really thought he was a good OC, but a few people (myself included) thought he was saddled with crap at the QB position.

Seems like most on the board agree about the QB position now.

MM's ceiling (like Schotty's), will only be as high as the QB play allows it to be. Then, if the play from under center improves, we'll see if he can make a difference in the situational play-calling, which is where I thought Schotty was terrible.

I also think MM will do an infinitely better job with a rookie QB than Schotty did with Sanchez. But it's all guesswork at this stage.
    Oh, yeah, there were definitely a few! NerdHerd from The Wire was one of them. This thread makes sense now, actually. Schitty fans... LOL