Thread: SALARY Cap ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

SALARY Cap ~ ~ ~

In mid-February, the 10 highest cap figures on the Jets accounted for $105 million of the $123 million salary cap. That total is down to $77 million, according to NFLPA figures. They did it by releasing players and restructuring contracts. Interestingly, one of the top charges belongs to a player no longer on the team -- Darrelle Revis, who was traded to the Bucs. That's what you call "dead" money, folks. The good news for the Jets? Revis will be off the books in 2014.

Here's the top 10 :

1. Darrelle Revis, CB -- $13.0 million*

1. David Harris, LB -- $13.0 million

3. Mark Sanchez, QB -- $12.9 million

4. Nick Mangold, C -- $9.1 million

5. Santonio Holmes, WR -- $9.0 million

6. Antonio Cromartie, CB -- $6.5 million

7. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LT -- $5.6 million

8. Calvin Pace, LB -- $3.6 million**

9. Sione Po'uha, DT -- $2.3 million

10. Austin Howard, RT -- $2.0 million

* -- Dead money

** -- Includes $3.0 million in dead money from previous contract

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...imming-the-fat

All Pro
    Wow - surprised to see Howard in the Top 10. I know it's an RFA / tender thing, but I think that shows they like this guy ... and also shows that very few players are taking up disproportionae cap space. At least half of that list will be gone from the team by 2014, if not already. (Revis, Pouha gone; Sanchez, Pace, and one of Holmes / Harris - if not both - will be gone asap).

Bodes well for the future, cap-wise at least.

Now we just need our younger players to start stepping up and performing.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Wow - surprised to see Howard in the Top 10. I know it's an RFA / tender thing, but I think that shows they like this guy ... and also shows that very few players are taking up disproportionae cap space. At least half of that list will be gone from the team by 2014, if not already. (Revis, Pouha gone; Sanchez, Pace, and one of Holmes / Harris - if not both - will be gone asap).

Bodes well for the future, cap-wise at least.

Now we just need our younger players to start stepping up and performing.
    " . . . Bodes well for the future, cap-wise at least. . . "

~ ~ agreed...we should be able to sign a couple of free agents next year

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    " . . . Bodes well for the future, cap-wise at least. . . "

~ ~ agreed...we should be able to sign a couple of free agents next year
    I expect we'll sign a few, but none of the high priced "splash" moves that we've grown weary of under Tannenbaum. More the sort of Mike DeVito "lunch pail" types that fill a role without costing the earth. Dare I say it ... more Patriot like?

Hall Of Fame
    I expect we'll sign a few, but none of the high priced "splash" moves that we've grown weary of under Tannenbaum. More the sort of Mike DeVito "lunch pail" types that fill a role without costing the earth. Dare I say it ... more Patriot like?
    Or selectively and proactively getting ahead of the curve and re-upping a couple of our own guys who are producing as opposed to boxing ourselves in as we did with David Harris after some of those splashy moves you mention.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Or selectively and proactively getting ahead of the curve and re-upping a couple of our own guys who are producing as opposed to boxing ourselves in as we did with David Harris after some of those splashy moves you mention.
    Would be good to look at ... we don't exactly have a lot of guys getting to the end of their deals. I guess the likes of Wilkerson and Kerley would be the prime candidates. Not so sure about Wilson or McKnight, and certainly not Ducasse.

All I know is Hakeem Nicks, Jones-Drew and McFadden all playing for a contract this year. If they can some how remain healthy, I'd love for Nicks to come.

Hall Of Fame
    Would be good to look at ... we don't exactly have a lot of guys getting to the end of their deals. I guess the likes of Wilkerson and Kerley would be the prime candidates. Not so sure about Wilson or McKnight, and certainly not Ducasse.
    You are thinking Wilkerson and Kerly as I was but what about Mangold and Brick? Aren't they up too?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJets View Post
    All I know is Hakeem Nicks, Jones-Drew and McFadden all playing for a contract this year. If they can some how remain healthy, I'd love for Nicks to come.
    i'd luv for us to get nicks...

All Pro
    You are thinking Wilkerson and Kerly as I was but what about Mangold and Brick? Aren't they up too?
    I know they got re-upped since their rookie deals ... not too sure when the current ones run out. I think I read Brick did a restructure this year to free up some cap room too.

Hall Of Fame
    I know they got re-upped since their rookie deals ... not too sure when the current ones run out. I think I read Brick did a restructure this year to free up some cap room too.
    Again, it is not so much who it is more the general approach to the problem that I would like to see us being open to. If your team has rising stars (we have not always had them). if you don't have those then you are screwed anyway. But if you do and if you are managing your cap in a proactive way then I think good teams try to get ahead of the curve whenever possible to lock up their guys. The previous regime seemed to like assembling a war chest to go after big names and patch up the rest of the cap situation on an ad-hoc basis. Never a winning formula.

Hall Of Fame
    Again, it is not so much who it is more the general approach to the problem that I would like to see us being open to. If your team has rising stars (we have not always had them). if you don't have those then you are screwed anyway. But if you do and if you are managing your cap in a proactive way then I think good teams try to get ahead of the curve whenever possible to lock up their guys. The previous regime seemed to like assembling a war chest to go after big names and patch up the rest of the cap situation on an ad-hoc basis. Never a winning formula.
    ~ ~ " . . . If your team has rising stars (we have not always had them). if you don't have those then you are screwed anyway.. . "

~ agreed...we have NOT drafted well over the years & THAT has come back to haunt us