Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Stereo

Bewildered Beast

First Stereo

Everybody speak of the 1970's in terms of free love, but I preferred the listening to the radio, as that didn't leave me feeling ashamed and confused.

My first real stereo, 1972? Who else fell in love with exquisite audio as a wee lad/lass? Post your stories.

The units are very camera shy and this apparently is as close as a modern camera has gotten.

SOUNDESIGN 65. Almost Kenmore®

Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 05-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Everybody speak of the 1970's in terms of free love, but I preferred the listening to the radio, as that didn't leave me feeling ashamed and confused.

My first real stereo, 1972?

The units are very camera shy and this apparently is as close as a modern camera has gotten.

SOUNDESIGN 65. The Kenmore of Audio.
    I still have mine.

I bought it in 1981 and it is basically a receiver in my garage.

I gave the speakers away years ago.

I am totally SONOS now. It is incredible.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

My first stereo was a quadrophonic which was hyped for about a week in the 70's...I had Sly's greatest hits on quad vinyl lol. The first stereo I loved was a much researched component system purchased from Newmark & Lewis this thing sounded great sansui reciever sanyo tape deck technics turntable and monster ESS speakers. That ****er cranked, sadly stolen when I bought my first co op.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    My first stereo was a quadrophonic which was hyped for about a week in the 70's...I had Sly's greatest hits on quad vinyl lol. The first stereo I loved was a much researched component system purchased from Newmark & Lewis this thing sounded great sansui reciever sanyo tape deck technics turntable and monster ESS speakers. That ****er cranked, sadly stolen when I bought my first co op.

also owned sansui receiver. salesman told me sony owned sansui and sansui was like the cadillac line.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    also owned sansui receiver. salesman told me sony owned sansui and sansui was like the cadillac line.
    Never knew that my guy was pushing the speakers they were fantastic and fantastically expensive

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Used to unscrew the turntable and stash half a z.

I need twice the bass.

I got he TK421 modification...bumps it up 3 or 4 quads per channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DRZlytJpQ

Hall Of Fame
    My cousin had a pair of Cerwin Vega D9's. Holy crap you could have Madison Square Garden concert level volume in your bedroom.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post

My first real stereo, 1972? Who else fell in love with exquisite audio as a wee lad/lass? Post your stories.

SOUNDESIGN 65. Almost Kenmore®

I can picture my first "system", but I can't remember the name. It had two wood speakers that were oriented towards the top with arched gilded (brass?) grills that ran the width of the box.

My first real stereo was a Fisher, complete with an EQ and dubbing double cassette. Speakers were about the size of my 10 year old son.

Sansui for me. Mid-70s.

Bewildered Beast

Big Sound

It was 1969 and on my 11th birthday I got an all in one POS stereo with my first albums, Let It Be and The Who's Tommy. Freshman year of college in 1976 I got a note to come down to the burser's office, where instead of a bill, I was informed I had "excess scholarship" and was handed 5 crisp $100 bills. I immediately bought a Dual direct drive turntable, an Onkyo amp and Kenwood tuner. For speakers I had 3-way Infinities with the awesome Emit Tweeter:

These things could blow the doors off the room.

Hmmm...integrated rack system...can't remember but I think it was a Pioneer...with 'built in' "graphic equalizer"...hehe.

After that went thru a series of Carver Receivers, Adcom Amps, and JBL Speakers.....then I got married and had kids.

Jets Insider VIP
    I started out using a bad ass stereo like this.

Veteran
    I'm not sure what brand my first stereo was, but it looked something like the one WCO first posted. I wasn't into huge speakers, woofers, etc. Just needed something to play albums. Had it all through college.

Here's a corner of one of my college dorm rooms. This was the "shared" space with my roommates, but the stereo, TV, and fridge were all mine. Pretty cool, eh? Love the rabbit ears and speaker wires!

Can't believe I took a picture of my college dorm room, kept it all these years, and actually found it.

Jets Insider VIP
    This track includes 2 minutes of silence due to programming.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    I'm not sure what brand my first stereo was, but it looked something like the one WCO first posted. I wasn't into huge speakers, woofers, etc. Just needed something to play albums. Had it all through college.

Here's a corner of one of my college dorm rooms. This was the "shared" space with my roommates, but the stereo, TV, and fridge were all mine. Pretty cool, eh? Love the rabbit ears and speaker wires!

Can't believe I took a picture of my college dorm room, kept it all these years, and actually found it.
    You're such a show off

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I started out using a bad ass stereo like this.

NICE!

There was another piece that went with my parents stereo...maybe yours too

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    He lied to you, Sony bought Aiwa.

Sansui was higher end at one point (had a turntable) but downgraded and exited the US market.

1st turntable - Garrard when it was already a lower end item

got it in a package for Xmas w / this beauty below at age 15 - was in heaven - cabled it up and 1st song on the radio -"Golden Years" - Columbia House here I come - also Mom worked at the brand new EJ Korvettes and enjoyed a swell discount on their well stocked imports - my receiver is gathering dust at the old homestead

later got this thing (Crazy Eddie IIRC) because I thought it would take care of my rekkids - bullsh!t -
    wouldnt track a record with any kind of warp

Musical Evolution:

1st Record I heard on radio : Lets Twist Again
    1st DJ I enjoyed : Murray The K
    Knew I loved music/rekkids when : My sister took a freshly bought copy of Up On The Roof out of the sleeve stuck a yellow adapter in it and dropped the needle on it in her Magnavox with the speaker in the lid - pop brilliance

1st LP I played over at home:

1st record I asked someone to buy me: All You Need Is Love
    1st record I bought myself: Indian Giver

1st LP I bought myself:
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 05-28-2013 at 10:03 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post

What are those obelisk things on the bottom shelf