Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

Thread: Reasons to be optimistic within reason

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Reasons to be optimistic within reason

    Are we stacked to go to the Super Bowl? Probably not. Not that we can't get there, but I wouldn't bet my hard-earned money as a medical insurance fraud investigator on it.

    We're in the perfect position to improve substantially from last year and enter the up-and-coming category, though, and HERE IS WHY:

    1. Smith. I expect Sanchez to start the reason, and I expect that he won't stink the joint up, but at this point I'm not looking for him to make a comeback. By week 8, having gotten the benefit of seeing how the NFL game works, and Sanchez practices, which is from all accounts, better than he plays, I have no doubt that Geno will step in and perform solidly but probably without lighting up the world. Money is in year 2.

    2. Coples. Most players make their biggest jump between the 1st 2 seasons. Unlike the Rex of years past, Rex has been on Coples this year and isn't going to let him slide. I expect he will be a BEAST this year, a top 5 defensive player.

    3. Milliner. Corner is one of the positions where a guy can have immediate impact. I expect there will be growing pains replacing Revis for the first few weeks, but Milliner should be a solid player by the second quarter of the season.

    4. Idzik. Obviously a GM doesn't play, but I like the cut of him jib. He's obviously the kind of guy who methodically builds and doesn't recklessly chase something.

    5. Richardson. Seriously, is anyone going to have as stacked of a line as us?

    So all I'm saying is, don't count on us playing a Super Bowl in our home stadium, but don't be shocked if we make the playoffs either. Anything beyond that is just frosting and gravy, and means that the rebuilding is real and is getting results.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post

    3. Milliner. Corner is one of the positions where a guy can have immediate impact. I expect there will be growing pains replacing Revis for the first few weeks, but Milliner should be a solid player by the second quarter of the season
    With all due respect, this is a tad optimistic. 4 games, then a solid NFL corner?

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    With all due respect, this is a tad optimistic. 4 games, then a solid NFL corner?
    Sure, why can't he be solid? I'm not saying he'll be DROY, but if he's in the middle of the league as far as cornerbacks go I won't be shocked.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    With all due respect, this is a tad optimistic. 4 games, then a solid NFL corner?
    I agree. Guys like Revis do not grow on trees, and even Revis wasn't a very good player after only 4 games.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree. Guys like Revis do not grow on trees, and even Revis wasn't a very good player after only 4 games.
    No but when it comes to Revis he thinks money grows on trees. I'm glad he's off the team and to be rid of the cap headaches he brings.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    A reason within a reason.... what is this, Jets Inception?

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Sure, why can't he be solid? I'm not saying he'll be DROY, but if he's in the middle of the league as far as cornerbacks go I won't be shocked.
    About Coples you say most players make the biggest jump between the first 2 seasons, yet this guy only needs 4 games?

    I think it takes AT LEAST a year to see if a CB is any good.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a little optimism, that's TONS of optimism. But what's May for, if not for optimism? Rookie corners, linemen, and even QBs stepping up right away, by the halfway point in the season, and pulling off enough wins to get into the playoffs? Why the hell not?

    I'm assuming you also like the chances Holmes comes back 100% and the other WRs improve a bunch. Same for the RBs? Fans of every team should be optimistic in the off season, otherwise why bother?

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    About Coples you say most players make the biggest jump between the first 2 seasons, yet this guy only needs 4 games?

    I think it takes AT LEAST a year to see if a CB is any good.
    It depends a lot on the position, though last season's excellent rookie QB play sort of bucked that conventional wisdom. RB's and CB's usually have the best chance of making an early impact. The way today's game is, oriented for the passing game, raw athleticism, together with the ability to avoid drawing penalties, is the most important thing for a CB. Predicting the future is obviously an inexact art, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get up to speed quickly.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    That's not a little optimism, that's TONS of optimism. But what's May for, if not for optimism? Rookie corners, linemen, and even QBs stepping up right away, by the halfway point in the season, and pulling off enough wins to get into the playoffs? Why the hell not?

    I'm assuming you also like the chances Holmes comes back 100% and the other WRs improve a bunch. Same for the RBs? Fans of every team should be optimistic in the off season, otherwise why bother?
    It's definitely optimism, I'll give you that. I know you chowds want to see us bitter year round, but I'm saying our chances are at least better than you think.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    It's definitely optimism, I'll give you that. I know you chowds want to see us bitter year round, but I'm saying our chances are at least better than you think.
    I like your optimism, that's how fans should be! You never know, that's why sports is so great.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm optimistic because there are at least a bunch of young guys that we can look forward to watching develop instead of a bunch of old, overpaid jags that wont be on the team next year.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i'm optimistic because there are at least a bunch of young guys that we can look forward to watching develop instead of a bunch of old, overpaid jags that wont be on the team next year.
    That's great, but this thread is about my reasons for being optimistic, please don't hijack it again.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    That's not a little optimism, that's TONS of optimism. But what's May for, if not for optimism? Rookie corners, linemen, and even QBs stepping up right away, by the halfway point in the season, and pulling off enough wins to get into the playoffs? Why the hell not?

    I'm assuming you also like the chances Holmes comes back 100% and the other WRs improve a bunch. Same for the RBs? Fans of every team should be optimistic in the off season, otherwise why bother?
    LOL @ the PAT-hetic trolls running in to throw water on any thread of optimism.


  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Fans of every team should be optimistic in the off season, otherwise why bother?
    Aren't you optimistic Brady sips from the fountain of youth, as he enters his late 30's?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL @ the PAT-hetic trolls running in to throw water on any thread of optimism.

    WTF Ray? Show me where in my post I'm throwing ANY water on the thread. You're reading comprehension is sorely lacking. What did you do, only read the first sentence and then run here to post your infamously clever 'PAT-hetic" putdown? Put down the Haterade for once in your life.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 05-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Aren't you optimistic Brady sips from the fountain of youth, as he enters his late 30's?
    Absolutely. I'm hopeful EVERY May that Brady will return to the form he showed the previous year. Just as you should be hopeful here in May. Lots of new players to look forward to, right?

  18. #18
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    That's great, but this thread is about my reasons for being optimistic, please don't hijack it again.
    Bro, hate to tell you, posting a topic On a public message board generally brings other people's thoughts out in reply ... Some of those will be in agreement with you some wont and some will be in between ... His response was far from hijacking

    Incidentally my optimism is more in line with his than yours ... However I hope you are right

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    WTF Ray? Show me where in my post I'm throwing ANY water on the thread. You're reading comprehension is sorely lacking. What did you do, only read the first sentence and then run here to post your infamously clever 'PAT-hetic" putdown? Put down the Haterade for once in your life.


    I can read just fine, you were in this thread within an hour after being started, two Pats fans, quick with the "let's settle down a little" crap.

    Don't play dumb, your stripes don't change

    Save it Vinny

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,726
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    A reason within a reason.... what is this, Jets Inception?
    This reason within a reason about the Jets was already started by 'Eternal Champion'... you're already in the 3rd level.

    Frankly this is the best OP that I've seen from EC, it has zero conspiracies in it and most of it sounds pretty spot-on. ... wait a minute, maybe I am dreaming as well... where is my top???
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-28-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us