Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to be optimistic within reason

Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Are we stacked to go to the Super Bowl? Probably not. Not that we can't get there, but I wouldn't bet my hard-earned money as a medical insurance fraud investigator on it.

We're in the perfect position to improve substantially from last year and enter the up-and-coming category, though, and HERE IS WHY:

1. Smith. I expect Sanchez to start the reason, and I expect that he won't stink the joint up, but at this point I'm not looking for him to make a comeback. By week 8, having gotten the benefit of seeing how the NFL game works, and Sanchez practices, which is from all accounts, better than he plays, I have no doubt that Geno will step in and perform solidly but probably without lighting up the world. Money is in year 2.

2. Coples. Most players make their biggest jump between the 1st 2 seasons. Unlike the Rex of years past, Rex has been on Coples this year and isn't going to let him slide. I expect he will be a BEAST this year, a top 5 defensive player.

3. Milliner. Corner is one of the positions where a guy can have immediate impact. I expect there will be growing pains replacing Revis for the first few weeks, but Milliner should be a solid player by the second quarter of the season.

4. Idzik. Obviously a GM doesn't play, but I like the cut of him jib. He's obviously the kind of guy who methodically builds and doesn't recklessly chase something.

5. Richardson. Seriously, is anyone going to have as stacked of a line as us?

So all I'm saying is, don't count on us playing a Super Bowl in our home stadium, but don't be shocked if we make the playoffs either. Anything beyond that is just frosting and gravy, and means that the rebuilding is real and is getting results.
    Who hijacked your account? Good post - as others have said this is the time to be optimistic, and at least right now I'm buying everything you said except Coples being Top-5.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    If Geno Smith picks up the game quickly, I think the Jets are going to surprise most people and have a very solid season. Players like Wilkerson, Ivory, Holmes, Cromartie, Ferguson, and Mangold have to be included in a list of players who can potentially make this team respectable in 2013.
    +1

If Geno wins the starting job convincingly, the Jets immediately become a middle-of-the-road team. And if you're that, you just need good defense and a lot of breaks to turn 6-10 or 7-9 into 9-7 or 10-6.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    No but when it comes to Revis he thinks money grows on trees. I'm glad he's off the team and to be rid of the cap headaches he brings.
    The thread speaks out about optimism for the team being competitive this season. I wasn't referring to Revis and his greed.

Revis was a special kind of player that created a numbers advantage IMO. Guys like him only come along once every 10 to 20 years.

For the OP to say Milliner will be a solid player within 4 games is too optimistic almost bordering on the absurd. Revis wasn't even a very good player only 4 games into his rookie season. It's not unreasonable to doubt he'll ever be as good as Revis.

That said, I expect Milliner to become a good player for us in time. More time than 4 games.

In regards to the rest of what the OP is saying, I agree for the most part. But I do see a glaring weakness at FS. I also see problems defending the middle of the field. The OL will be improved, but how quickly will they become a cohesive unit?

So as of right now, if we are predicting wins/losses, I think anywhere from as low as 6 wins to as high as 10 wins. It's still quite unknown how things will go down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL @ the PAT-hetic trolls running in to throw water on any thread of optimism.

Were talking football here.

Who's the real troll?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Were talking football here.

Who's the real troll?
    As vaguely disturbing as this is, I am afraid that you have a point.

All we need now is the obligatory buttfumblereleaseafterjune4 post which appears in every thread, often multiple times in every thread for the current troll pollution level to be maintained. One wonders who they need to hear it from in order for the message to get across.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    As vaguely disturbing as this is, I am afraid that you have a point.

All we need now is the obligatory buttfumblereleaseafterjune4 post which appears in every thread, often multiple times in every thread for the current troll pollution level to be maintained. One wonders who they need to hear it from in order for the message to get across.
    Dont forget the GFY. Theres that to look forward to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    Sorry didn't realize I'm not allowed to comment on the subject at hand. Next time please add a disclaimer saying we're only allowed to comment on what you wrote so there is no confusion and we can make sure the thread is all about you, thanks.
    I realize sarcasm is hard to get across in writing. I thought what I wrote was so ridiculous that it couldn't be taken seriously.

Jets Insider VIP
    Things could go our way depending on the bounce of the ball. I could see this team making the playoffs if things go our way and we have an Offense that surprises.

There are a lot of new pieces this season and it takes time for everything to jell; for that reason, I see us playing well but losing close games. 2014 could be special if we have another good draft and players start to become elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Milliner can't be replacing Revis if Revis barely played last year. And therefore, there can't be any growing pains from the disparity.

Milliner is replacing Wilson on the outside. 4 games is legit expectation for improvement along the corners. a lot of corners have trouble their first season, but some dont.
    i see milner playing outside( he is very good using the sideline) in the nickle package with wilson sliding inside and with truffant or allen as the dime

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The thread speaks out about optimism for the team being competitive this season. I wasn't referring to Revis and his greed.

Revis was a special kind of player that created a numbers advantage IMO. Guys like him only come along once every 10 to 20 years.

For the OP to say Milliner will be a solid player within 4 games is too optimistic almost bordering on the absurd. Revis wasn't even a very good player only 4 games into his rookie season. It's not unreasonable to doubt he'll ever be as good as Revis.

That said, I expect Milliner to become a good player for us in time. More time than 4 games.

In regards to the rest of what the OP is saying, I agree for the most part. But I do see a glaring weakness at FS. I also see problems defending the middle of the field. The OL will be improved, but how quickly will they become a cohesive unit?

So as of right now, if we are predicting wins/losses, I think anywhere from as low as 6 wins to as high as 10 wins. It's still quite unknown how things will go down.
    i think CRO has been better than Revis over the last 2 years. last year mainly cause he played and played hard attacked the ball carries as well as defensed the pass oh and Revis was hurt again. Cro has way more physical l skill than Revis and now seems like his brain is catching up. He could be the best corner in the league this year as teams go away from him That was a great trade for him thanks Tanny for having a backup plan for Mevis. Hopefully Milner is just quality cb soon

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    i think CRO has been better than Revis over the last 2 years. last year mainly cause he played and played hard attacked the ball carries as well as defensed the pass oh and Revis was hurt again. Cro has way more physical l skill than Revis and now seems like his brain is catching up. He could be the best corner in the league this year as teams go away from him That was a great trade for him thanks Tanny for having a backup plan for Mevis. Hopefully Milner is just quality cb soon
    Ermm.... The trade for CRO was all about the one year rental of CRO.

Before we get all gushy about Tannenbaum please remember CRO was allowed to walk and test the waters of free agency after that one year rental. If Tanny had been successful in his pursuit of Nnamdi Asomugha then we would be the ones eating that abortion of a deal today and Cromartie would be playing elsewhere.

We got lucky on CRO because nobody else even gave him a sniff for a long time even after Nnamdi went to Philly. Not exactly the result of brilliant planning by our former GM.

I realize sarcasm is hard to get across in writing. I thought what I wrote was so ridiculous that it couldn't be taken seriously.
    Sorry my bad. The perils of reading posts before 7am when the brain isn't fully functioning yet. May i suggest this guyto make it easier in the future?

Of course not one of the OTHE 31 teams did anything to improve themselves. Only the Jets improved by leaps and bounds.
    I look at the team as having an above average (not more) defensive line. There is not a star in the pack. The LBs are eh. Cro is the only pro bowler at DB. Milliner should develop.
    The offense? Two good OLmen. Three eh. It only takes ONE weak link
    TE - worst group in the league? WRs - who knows about Holmes. Hill - hands of stone. Kerley - above average slot.
    RBs - castoffs. FB - jags. QB - the worst in the league in Sanchez. Geno is an unknown BUT how was his play against the better college teams last year. Just so so. Started hot against 1AA teams. The guy is not the next Montana. Or maybe even the next Andy Dalton.
    I'm optimistic though. 7-9 max.
    Years to repair the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Ermm.... The trade for CRO was all about the one year rental of CRO.

Before we get all gushy about Tannenbaum please remember CRO was allowed to walk and test the waters of free agency after that one year rental. If Tanny had been successful in his pursuit of Nnamdi Asomugha then we would be the ones eating that abortion of a deal today and Cromartie would be playing elsewhere.

We got lucky on CRO because nobody else even gave him a sniff for a long time even after Nnamdi went to Philly. Not exactly the result of brilliant planning by our former GM.
    Yep. As much as I liked Tanny through 2010, he had two of the worst back-to-back offseasons of any GM in team history. In 2011 he gave us the Holmes contract, Burress & Mason, and Wayne Hunter at RT, just to name a few.

The fact that he lucked into Cro doesn't change the fact that he let him walk in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Of course not one of the OTHE 31 teams did anything to improve themselves. Only the Jets improved by leaps and bounds.
    I look at the team as having an above average (not more) defensive line. There is not a star in the pack. The LBs are eh. Cro is the only pro bowler at DB. Milliner should develop.
    The offense? Two good OLmen. Three eh. It only takes ONE weak link
    TE - worst group in the league? WRs - who knows about Holmes. Hill - hands of stone. Kerley - above average slot.
    RBs - castoffs. FB - jags. QB - the worst in the league in Sanchez. Geno is an unknown BUT how was his play against the better college teams last year. Just so so. Started hot against 1AA teams. The guy is not the next Montana. Or maybe even the next Andy Dalton.
    I'm optimistic though. 7-9 max.
    Years to repair the damage.
    I don't think it ever takes years for an NFL team to show improvement if they are going about it the right way. Not talking last-to-first, but a team should be able to get into the middle of the pack from anywhere within 2 seasons. Improving to 10-6 is definitely a stretch goal, but it's not an impossible one. As far as other teams, we'll see. I know we had a good draft, I know Coples is going to be a stud. I don't know follow other teams nearly as closely. Of course some of them improved (and some got worse), but the Jets can only control what the Jets do, and they're doing the right thing.
    Last edited by EternalChampion; 05-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.

I don't think it ever takes years for an NFL team to show improvement if they are going about it the right way. Not talking last-to-first, but a team should be able to get into the middle of the pack from anywhere within 2 seasons. Improving to 10-6 is definitely a stretch goal, but it's not an impossible one. As far as other teams, we'll see. I know we had a good draft, I know Coples is going to be a stud. I don't know follow other teams nearly as closely. Of course some of them improved (and some got worse), but the Jets can only control what the Jets do, and they're doing the right thing.

10-6 in what year? Certainly not THIS year.
    What about this draft was better than most other teams? It's not like the Jets picked up Luck or RG3. Or a great DE or OL. Milliner will be good down the road - probably. Richardson - who knows. Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples are ok. Coples as an LB is ?? Remember he had a LAZY tag coming out of NC. I'm in ACC/SEC country - he had an eh reputation. The guy is NOT Jadeveon Clowney.
    Bit the schedule is not favorable. Pitt, Balt, NO, Atl, NE x2 are definite losses. TB is a probable L, Cincy too. Carol is improved. So is Mia.
    Ouch.
    Last edited by palmetto defender; 05-29-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Lazy

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    10-6 in what year? Certainly not THIS year.
    What about this draft was better than most other teams? It's not like the Jets picked up Luck or RG3. Or a great DE or OL. Milliner will be good down the road - probably. Richardson - who knows. Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples are ok. Coples as an LB is ?? Remember he had a LAZY tag coming out of NC. I'm in ACC/SEC country - he had an eh reputation. The guy is NOT Jadeveon Clowney.
    Bit the schedule is not favorable. Pitt, Balt, NO, Atl, NE x2 are definite losses. TB is a probable L, Cincy too. Carol is improved. So is Mia.
    Ouch.
    Ok, those are reasons to be pessimistic, but my reasons for optimism aren't wrong, you can just choose which you want to be since the season has a reasonable chance of going either way.

8-8 this year is not unreasonable, and 9-7 or 10-6 are achievable stretch goals. It'll take some luck and some calls going our way, but we can win some games we're "supposed to" lose.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Absolutely. I'm hopeful EVERY May that Brady will return to the form he showed the previous year. Just as you should be hopeful here in May. Lots of new players to look forward to, right?
    As should the Pats.....lots of new players to work around Brady, with lots of promise. Should take the WR's a few years to grasp the system.

You should also be excited to finally see a healthy Gronk take the field again.....when is the last time that guy was healthy?
    Last edited by JonEJet; 05-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.

All League
    nice little video posted on the Jets website. Our man Idzy talking football...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...c-64fb9a823fa6

Rookie
    Excuse me but did I miss something? Were the Jets 1-16, 2-14, 3-13, 4-12, 5-11? At the very least this team should equal last year's record. I can understand a non winning season but some here think this was the worst team in the NFL. If this is truly the least talented team in football then Rex must be one of the best coaches in the NFL. This team should have beaten the Pats, Titans and could have beaten the Texans last year. I wonder if the experts are the one calling the shots because while they aren't a SB team they are not Kotite bad. QB was clearly the main problem last year by far. I don't buy the receivers are what's wrong with this team nor was Greene. Sure he ran into tacklers last year but he still got positive yards. OJ Anderson helped win a SB for the Giants on 40 carries with less YPA than Greene and that was considered a great game by him. Greene wasn't getting stuffed every time in the backfield. RB did need to be upgraded but this team is better than people think if they think it's #1 pick bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Excuse me but did I miss something? Were the Jets 1-16, 2-14, 3-13, 4-12, 5-11? At the very least this team should equal last year's record. I can understand a non winning season but some here think this was the worst team in the NFL. If this is truly the least talented team in football then Rex must be one of the best coaches in the NFL. This team should have beaten the Pats, Titans and could have beaten the Texans last year. I wonder if the experts are the one calling the shots because while they aren't a SB team they are not Kotite bad. QB was clearly the main problem last year by far. I don't buy the receivers are what's wrong with this team nor was Greene. Sure he ran into tacklers last year but he still got positive yards. OJ Anderson helped win a SB for the Giants on 40 carries with less YPA than Greene and that was considered a great game by him. Greene wasn't getting stuffed every time in the backfield. RB did need to be upgraded but this team is better than people think if they think it's #1 pick bad.
    i agree with you except the problem comes down to OL and blitz pickup hopefully the new guards are here and will help improve RB play and QB play
    brandon moore has gotten a pass from fans here for 2 years he was hurt and never healed