Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " Ex-GM: Jets must find identity " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow " Ex-GM: Jets must find identity " ~ ~ ~

Ex-GM : Jets must find identity

Who are the New York Jets ?

According to a former NFL executive who interviewed for the position, that’s the most important question new Jets general manager John Idzik must answer to succeed.Ted Sundquist, who was the Denver Broncos GM from 2002 to 2008, said Monday that “forging an identity” organizationally should be Idzik’s top priority in his first season with New York.“Ultimately whether you’re the Jets, Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers or whatever, you’ve got to know who you are,” Sundquist told co-host Jim Miller and me on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “If you can’t establish your mission and goal and what direction you’re going to go, how that can be relayed to the coaching staff and players? I think that’s what John is trying to do and I commend him for that.”

Idzik, though, has faced a rough few months on the job while in one of the NFL’s most high-pressure media markets. Two of his free-agent signings have already imploded, with quarterback David Garrard retiring because of a bad knee and running back Mike Goodson’s getting arrested on drug and weapons charges.Idzik also has left himself open to plenty of second-guessing by trading star cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay and selecting West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of April’s draft.“I think (Idzik) is trying to establish an identity and then to build a culture from the identity of what Woody wants the Jets to be. But that takes time,” Sundquist said.

“Some of the things that have happened have been the result of just having to get something done in a hurry. You know how the offseason goes. They hire John and — boom — it’s right into it with the (NFL Scouting) Combine and getting ready for the draft and now (offseason practices). It just doesn’t slow down.”Idzik and Sundquist were both considered for the Jets general manager job that came open when Mike Tannenbaum was fired after a 6-10 season that marked the second year New York failed to reach the playoffs. Idzik, a top Seattle Seahawks executive the past six years, got the nod from a wide field of candidates that were interviewed by Jets owner Woody Johnson and his staff.

FOX Sports also has learned the Jets paid $250,000 to an outside consulting service for a list of potential Tannenbaum replacements.“I enjoyed my interview with them,” said Sundquist, the author of a new leadership book entitled Taking Your Team to the Top. “I hope they get there.”

> http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/N...dentity-052713

Jets Insider VIP
    poor unemployable Sundquist.... still bitter that Idzik thumped his sorry ass in the GM competition

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Idzik, though, has faced a rough few months on the job while in one of the NFL’s most high-pressure media markets. Two of his free-agent signings have already imploded, with quarterback David Garrard retiring because of a bad knee and running back Mike Goodson’s getting arrested on drug and weapons charges.Idzik also has left himself open to plenty of second-guessing by trading star cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay and selecting West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of April’s draft.
    OK on Garrard and Goodson. But where is the second-guessing coming from on the other two moves? Revis got a $96 million deal. Where were the Jets going to find that money? How would keeping him have been a good move for THIS team in any respect? You want to argue the value that the Jets got, that's fine (though I think the Jets got great value with only one suitor). But I don't see how you second-guess the trade itself, especially considering the knee injury.

And in what world is a GM second-guessed for drafting the best-available QB on a team without a clear-cut starter at the position...in the second round?! No one is slamming the Bucs for taking Glennon in the 3rd, when they clearly have a better starter at the position than the Jets do. If Revis doesn't get back to 100% and Glennon doesn't become a starter, the Bucs 2013 draft was atrocious.

But you don't hear about that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post

FOX Sports also has learned the Jets paid $250,000 to an outside consulting service for a list of potential Tannenbaum replacements.“I enjoyed my interview with them,” said Sundquist, the author of a new leadership book entitled Taking Your Team to the Top. “I hope they get there.”
    This is kind of a weird toss in at the end of the story, huh? I guess its pretty much a puff piece from start to finish as I think Sundquist was saying the same sh!t about 3 days after his interview. He's probably on a speaking tour hyping his book and they asked him about his most recent endeavors. Of course, if it was with 31 other teams, his comments wouldn't warrant a story....but so it goes.

Hall Of Fame
    I also did not get hired to be the GM of the NY Jets. Perhaps I should write a book too.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I also did not get hired to be the GM of the NY Jets. Perhaps I should write a book too.
    it would be a better read for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    it would be a better read for sure.
    LOL... It is a long off season and what with the Knicks and Rangers bowing out it seems all the longer... Just need to hold out until training camp reports in a few more weeks....

Jets Insider VIP
    see everybody ... those stupid Jets should have hired ME instead of that guy Idzik... SEE... SEE....SEE

what a frigging horses ass this unemployed LOSER is

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    poor unemployable Sundquist.... still bitter that Idzik thumped his sorry ass in the GM competition
    You pinhead; it's called visibility - did your eyes see he's promoting a book? He's saying the right things without being bitter; he sounds like a solid leader. Sundquist should be able to get another job; right now he's just letting everyone know he's humble and ready to get busy next year.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This is kind of a weird toss in at the end of the story, huh? I guess its pretty much a puff piece from start to finish as I think Sundquist was saying the same sh!t about 3 days after his interview. He's probably on a speaking tour hyping his book and they asked him about his most recent endeavors. Of course, if it was with 31 other teams, his comments wouldn't warrant a story....but so it goes.
    Hey I thought it was my week to be the Intelligent Mod.

And, who keeps putting clown shoes in my locker? better not be you

All League
    Charter JI Member

I don't believe, for one second, that this guy had any real interest in being the Jets new GM.

He knew is book was coming out in a few months and needed to get his name back out there so he put out feelers to the consulting firm that he might be interested in working a front office again. He didn't interview with any other teams this year and last time he interviewed for an NFL job was back in 2010 (according to my anonymous sources )

He knew if he could get a sit down with the Jets he could spin his tales of the interview process and use the media exposure to try to make himself relevant again.

The guy is a fraud and he used the Jets.

I hope his book is a miserable flop.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You pinhead; it's called visibility - did your eyes see he's promoting a book? He's saying the right things without being bitter; he sounds like a solid leader. Sundquist should be able to get another job; right now he's just letting everyone know he's humble and ready to get busy next year.

Jets Insider VIP

Ex-GM : Jets must find identity

PROFUNDITY!

Ex GM....

Ex GM.

Well, if THAT doesn't say it all, I don't know what does.

Sorry, the days of telegraphing what we're gonna be doing so you can run to your buddies with "anonymous sauce" is OVER. Bltch

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Hey I thought it was my week to be the Intelligent Mod.

And, who keeps putting clown shoes in my locker? better not be you
    Oh, sorry. I thought those were yours.

All League
    In other news....Water is wet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I don't believe, for one second, that this guy had any real interest in being the Jets new GM.

He knew is book was coming out in a few months and needed to get his name back out there so he put out feelers to the consulting firm that he might be interested in working a front office again. He didn't interview with any other teams this year and last time he interviewed for an NFL job was back in 2010 (according to my anonymous sources )

He knew if he could get a sit down with the Jets he could spin his tales of the interview process and use the media exposure to try to make himself relevant again.

The guy is a fraud and he used the Jets.

I hope his book is a miserable flop.
    I also hope it flops but I hope Idzik is so successful with the jets that all these Jets haters dissolve. It seems so many need to take a cheap shot at the Jets. I guess they feel it helps sell papers or books. I have two words for all of them:FU

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Oh, sorry. I thought those were yours.
    noooo....they're mine

don't you got anything better to do than 1. read 2. post this drivel. You must find it interesting or somewhat newsworthy to post it. It's really neither.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    OK on Garrard and Goodson. But where is the second-guessing coming from on the other two moves? Revis got a $96 million deal. Where were the Jets going to find that money? How would keeping him have been a good move for THIS team in any respect? You want to argue the value that the Jets got, that's fine (though I think the Jets got great value with only one suitor). But I don't see how you second-guess the trade itself, especially considering the knee injury.

And in what world is a GM second-guessed for drafting the best-available QB on a team without a clear-cut starter at the position...in the second round?! No one is slamming the Bucs for taking Glennon in the 3rd, when they clearly have a better starter at the position than the Jets do. If Revis doesn't get back to 100% and Glennon doesn't become a starter, the Bucs 2013 draft was atrocious.

But you don't hear about that.
    Yes, Sunquist should've let that one go and not comment at all. It makes him look weak and unprofessional...