Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1362

Thread: Martin/Zimmerman Trial

  1. #1081
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Some stories catch fire. Others don't. This one did because a minor was involved, and the media put it on everyone's television screen.

    Did you expect people to say, "well, I read a story recently where a black kid killed another black kid, so I'm not going to have any opinion (strong or otherwise) about this one?"

    This case didn't catch fire:

    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...oud-music?lite

    I would love to hear the rationalization for this "standing of ground" were this case to receive the same publicity. Especially given the arguments that were presented here in Zimmerman's defense.
    Just read that article and the guy shooting should go to prison for what he did. It bears no resemblance to the Z case however because in the Z case the man shot someone that was actively beating Z senseless. Two completely different things. Also the Z case had nothing to do with stand your ground laws. It was textbook self defense. In the article it seems like the lawyer will try to use stand your ground to get an acquittal. Completely different circumstances.

  2. #1082
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Here's the thing, though :




    No. My position is that this piece of crap should be in prison right now for at least Manslaughter but because the Prosecution looked like the Gong Show, even THAT charge ended up being declined. Lack of Evidence, Lousy Prosecutorial work....you name it. Zimmerman's attorneys were at a position of strength from the get-go...
    except he broke no law. Local DA and police did not have enough evidence to charge. Thats partially why the prosecution looked so bad.

  3. #1083
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Here's the thing, though :

    Zimmerman didn't know who Martin was. Those photos of Trayvon and the *alleged* gun he *supposedly* held would've never have been seen by Z.

    All he did was(and this is just a theory) ASSUME that Martin was "packing"(just based on Martin wearing a hoodie and being black) and because he himself had a gun with him, he followed him and the rest is history.





    No. My position is that this piece of crap should be in prison right now for at least Manslaughter but because the Prosecution looked like the Gong Show, even THAT charge ended up being declined. Lack of Evidence, Lousy Prosecutorial work....you name it. Zimmerman's attorneys were at a position of strength from the get-go...

    Which means it was a horse-shiit case, no?

  4. #1084
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    You have no idea what happened that night. He said he got attacked. He may just as well have been the one who threw the first punch.
    And neither do you, so stop trying to tell people what to think.

  5. #1085
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Here's the thing, though :

    Zimmerman didn't know who Martin was. Those photos of Trayvon and the *alleged* gun he *supposedly* held would've never have been seen by Z.

    All he did was(and this is just a theory) ASSUME that Martin was "packing"(just based on Martin wearing a hoodie and being black) and because he himself had a gun with him, he followed him and the rest is history.
    IMO what those photos, along with the toxicology report does is give validity to Zimmerman's statement that he thought Martin was high and/or behaving suspiciously. Someone that takes pictures of themselves holding a gun and growing marijuana plants lends themselves to suspicion and it is conceivable that Trayvon was behaving suspiciously that night based on previous behavior.

  6. #1086
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And neither do you, so stop trying to tell people what to think.
    In fairness, he IS smarter than pretty much the rest of this rabble combined, myself included. I'm ok if he wants to tell us how to think....we're always free to disagree.

  7. #1087
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    In fairness, he IS smarter than pretty much the rest of this rabble combined, myself included. I'm ok if he wants to tell us how to think....we're always free to disagree.
    So YOU say. You can be OK with him having that holier than thou attitude all you want, but it doesn't fly with me.

    And in FAIRNESS, he truly doesn't know what happened between those two. However, I just happen to have what truths came out in the trial on my side, which is a lot more than he can say.

    And as you said, grasping at straws.

  8. #1088
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    yeah, he's a regular Anderson Silva....
    Which one?

    The one who kicked ass or the one who got his ass kicked?



    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    IMO what those photos, along with the toxicology report does is give validity to Zimmerman's statement that he thought Martin was high and/or behaving suspiciously. Someone that takes pictures of themselves holding a gun and growing marijuana plants lends themselves to suspicion and it is conceivable that Trayvon was behaving suspiciously that night based on previous behavior.
    That's a very valid point.

    HOWEVER, again you can't say that Zimmerman was aware that Trayvon was "on something". I mean didn't he say that he simply "looked suspicious"? Did he ever elaborate on that? Oh wait! He never had to take the stand. Right.

    Anyway, if anyone was "on something", it was Zimmerman. He was on plenty of, I guess, Anti-depressants(or some other type of medication?) at the time. I think someone mentioned it....




    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Which means it was a horse-shiit case, no?
    You will get no argument from me on this, brady's a catcher(and a pitcher).

    The State's obsession with making it a MURDER instead of a Manslaughter case is what eventually doomed any hope of successful prosecution.

    Now he could've also have been found innocent of Manslaughter even if they went that route initially to make that moot but we'll never really know....


    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    except he broke no law. Local DA and police did not have enough evidence to charge. Thats partially why the prosecution looked so bad.
    Which is why I mentioned the "Lack of evidence" part.

    This attempt to prosecute was doomed from the start....
    Last edited by Vin; 07-15-2013 at 08:26 PM.

  9. #1089
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    One interesting side-effect of the teh Zimmerman trial, we can no longer claim to have our "first black President" here in the Unites States in 2013.

    Like Zimmerman, Obama is the progeny of a mixed race pairing, and hence is actually a "White African, who identifies as black".

    Tis a damn shame we're going to have to keep waiting for our first black President though, but the rules are the rules, and we simply have to be consistent about such things. If Zimmerman was, as universally reproted by the media, a "White Hispanic who identifies as Hispanic", then we certainly cannot treat our President with any term less accurate or thorough, can we?

    In related news, I will no longer tolerate being described as "white", when I am clearly a "Pinkish Whitish Scots/Irish American who identifies as Scottish". To call me "white" is simply racist, and will be considered thusly.

  10. #1090
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Its highly unlikely that a fat out of shape schlub like Zimmerman would put his hands on Martin
    FTR...Zimmerman was not fat at the time of the incident, he packed on the pounds waiting to go on trial.

    There are no "winners" in this case, even though the law got it right.

    Both M and Z made mistakes in judgement that escalated this thing past what it ever should have been. Zimmerman only had to alert the police rather than confront Martin. This is the right move that EVERY one should remember. TM should have remained calm and kept it verbal instead of physical..but lets me honest, a kid that age does not usually posses that kind of restraint.

    TM paid with with life, and Zimmerman's life for the most part is ruined. Like most situations, the right move made EARLY on are key.
    Last edited by FF2; 07-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.

  11. #1091
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And neither do you, so stop trying to tell people what to think.
    You're right, I don't. Which you can remind me of the next (first) time I post "XYZ happened that night"

  12. #1092
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    FTR...Zimmerman was not fat at the time of the incident, he packed on the pounds waiting to go on trial.
    Trust me, he was a fat ass couch potato. He got skinny after the incident likely due to depression then somehow got fat again. It's no surprise that T was pummeling him.

  13. #1093
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    One interesting side-effect of the teh Zimmerman trial, we can no longer claim to have our "first black President" here in the Unites States in 2013.

    Like Zimmerman, Obama is the progeny of a mixed race pairing, and hence is actually a "White African, who identifies as black".

    Tis a damn shame we're going to have to keep waiting for our first black President though, but the rules are the rules, and we simply have to be consistent about such things. If Zimmerman was, as universally reproted by the media, a "White Hispanic who identifies as Hispanic", then we certainly cannot treat our President with any term less accurate or thorough, can we?

    In related news, I will no longer tolerate being described as "white", when I am clearly a "Pinkish Whitish Scots/Irish American who identifies as Scottish". To call me "white" is simply racist, and will be considered thusly.
    I had literally the exact same thought (less the personal ethnic description ) when I read that line.

  14. #1094
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Trust me, he was a fat ass couch potato. He got skinny after the incident likely due to depression then somehow got fat again. It's no surprise that T was pummeling him.
    OK, I will trust you.

    (Despite the clear photographic evidence.)

  15. #1095
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Trust me, he was a fat ass couch potato. He got skinny after the incident likely due to depression then somehow got fat again. It's no surprise that T was pummeling him.
    It's pretty clear that Trayvon was pummeling him, why would you lie about how big zimmerman was when the incident happened? Look at the pictures of him immediately after the incident and the pictures of him today and its clear that he was MUCH skinnier back then.

  16. #1096
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    OK, I will trust you.

    (Despite the clear photographic evidence.)
    Zimmerman was 5' 8" and 194 pounds at the time of the shooting. At one point after the shooting he balooned up close to 300 lbs. Still 5'8' 195 lbs is quite tubby.

  17. #1097
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    It's pretty clear that Trayvon was pummeling him, why would you lie about how big zimmerman was when the incident happened? Look at the pictures of him immediately after the incident and the pictures of him today and its clear that he was MUCH skinnier back then.
    The skinny pictures of Z came months after the incident where he dropped down to the 150's in weight. The fattest version was at the trial. I was referring to the 200Lb fat Zimmerman at the time of the incident.

  18. #1098
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    You're right, I don't. Which you can remind me of the next (first) time I post "XYZ happened that night"
    I am with the majority here that YOU SIR add tremendous credibility and insight to these forums and Thank you for that.

  19. #1099
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Here's the thing, though :

    Zimmerman didn't know who Martin was. Those photos of Trayvon and the *alleged* gun he *supposedly* held would've never have been seen by Z.

    All he did was(and this is just a theory) ASSUME that Martin was "packing"(just based on Martin wearing a hoodie and being black) and because he himself had a gun with him, he followed him and the rest is history.





    No. My position is that this piece of crap should be in prison right now for at least Manslaughter but because the Prosecution looked like the Gong Show, even THAT charge ended up being declined. Lack of Evidence, Lousy Prosecutorial work....you name it. Zimmerman's attorneys were at a position of strength from the get-go...
    you're filling in "facts" with your guesses.

    and have you considered the prosecution looked so poorly BECAUSE they had no case and were pushed into this witch hunt?

  20. #1100
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    you're filling in "facts" with your guesses.

    and have you considered the prosecution looked so poorly BECAUSE they had no case and were pushed into this witch hunt?
    Exactly. People are bashing the prosecution for all the wrong reasons. Bash them for unethical treatment of the defense and discovery violations if you want but as far as their competency there is nothing to discuss. They were very capable lawyers that were given an awful case to make.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us