Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1362

Thread: Martin/Zimmerman Trial

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The best line of BS I have heard over the last couple days is that everyone is a racist whether they realize or not. We all are racist in our subconscious.

In a weird way I am kind of happy this is all happening b.c the true idiots are revealing themselves.
    This is a message repeated every 5 minutes currently on Progressive Political Radio.

1. Anyone who agrees with the ruling is a racist.
    2. Anyone who thinks self-defense is justified is a racist.
    3. Anyone who think T.M. didn't have a "right" to confront and beat up Z. as "self-defense" for being followed, is a racist.
    4. Because Z. called in other black kids as C.Watch, he's a racist.
    5. The jury was racist.

In addition, there was no fight and M. never hit Z. (according to radio and their guests), the would Z. suffered were from recoil of his gun and his falling over as he tried to grab M. to make a "citizens Arrest". M. never came back to Z., Z. stalked him, attacked him, then shot him, all with cold murder his plan, and racist as his motive.

They say Z. should be charged with Civil Rights violations.

They say the Prosecutor was bought and paid for because Z.'s dad was a former Judge.

They say the Judge was strongly biased for Zimmerman.

They say the Cops didn't want to arrest/charge Z. because of Daddy Judge and because they're racists too.

Lefties love mocking Limbaugh/Hannity/etc......whelp, this is what YOUR Limbaugh/Hannities are saying and progressives and calling in in droves to agree with. Not just on radio, but on MSNBC, CNN, Newspapers, College Campuses, NAACP meetings and in the Dept. of Justice.

A message from a Ivy League Professor P.K. will love:

Quote Originally Posted by A.P. News
    An Ivy League professor blogged after George Zimmerman was found not guilty of murdering Trayvon Martin that the verdict shows God is a “white racist” who stalks “young black men.”

Anthea Butler, an associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Religious Studies, made the unusual comments in a blog post released on Monday on ReligionDispatches.org, where she is a regular contributor.

“God ain’t good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us,” she wrote in the post. “As a black woman in an [sic] nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain’t my god.

“As a matter of fact, I think he’s a white racist god with a problem. More importantly, he is carrying a gun and stalking young black men,” she added.

Butler adds that Trayvon Martin’s killing was the result of racism that was influenced by Christianity.

“As a historian of American and African-American religion, I know that the Trayvon Martin moment is just one moment in a history of racism in America that, in large part, has its underpinnings in Christianity and its history,” she wrote. “Those of us who teach American Religion have a responsibility to tell all of the story, not just the nice touchy-feely parts.”

“When the good Christians of America are some of its biggest racists, one has to consider our moral responsibility to call out those who clearly are not for human flourishing, no matter what ethnicity a person is. Where are you on that scale? I know where I am.”

According to her biography, Butler holds doctorate and masters degrees in religion from Vanderbilt University as well as a masters in theology from Fuller Theological Seminary. She is the author of a 2007 book titled "Women in the Church of God in Christ, Making A Sanctified World," published by University of North Carolina Press.

Butler, who did not respond to requests for comment, is also an associate chair for the school's religious studies department and is a regular contributor and guest on both MSNBC and CNN.

Josiah Ryan, editor-in-chief of Campus Reform, which first reported Butler's comments, said the professor's reaction to the verdict was bizarre.

"No amount of heartbreak over the Zimmerman acquittal justifies these hateful posts," Ryan said. "Professor Butler's remarks were clearly designed to hurt when Americans needed healing and to divide when we needed unity.”

"In tumultuous times students must be able turn to their professors for calm and wisdom. In stoking the flames of hatred, Professor Butler has betrayed her students' trust. UPenn administrators ought not to allow her back in the classroom."

Officials for the University of Pennsylvania declined to comment.
    I coukd point out that this Professor was one who called for the arrest and imprisonment of anyone who denigrated Islam.....(lols, just lols).
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    This is a message repeated every 5 minutes currently on Progressive Political Radio.

1. Anyone who agrees with the ruling is a racist.
    2. Anyone who thinks self-defense is justified is a racist.
    3. Anyone who think T.M. didn't have a "right" to confront and beat up Z. as "self-defense" for being followed, is a racist.
    4. Because Z. called in other black kids as C.Watch, he's a racist.
    5. The jury was racist.

In addition, there was no fight and M. never hit Z. (according to radio and their guests), the would Z. suffered were from recoil of his gun and his falling over as he tried to grab M. to make a "citizens Arrest". M. never came back to Z., Z. stalked him, attacked him, then shot him, all with cold murder his plan, and racist as his motive.

They say Z. should be charged with Civil Rights violations.

They say the Prosecutor was bought and paid for because Z.'s dad was a former Judge.

They say the Judge was strongly biased for Zimmerman.

They say the Cops didn't want to arrest/charge Z. because of Daddy Judge and because they're racists too.

Lefties love mocking Limbaugh/Hannity/etc......whelp, this is what YOUR Limbaugh/Hannities are saying and progressives and calling in in droves to agree with. Not just on radio, but on MSNBC, CNN, Newspapers, College Campuses, NAACP meetings and in the Dept. of Justice.
    Imagine if Fox ever made this mistake..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqjEO400lMU

Hall Of Fame
    A message from a Ivy League Professor P.K. will love:

I wonder what they are saying over at Columbia. Would probably make this woman look sane.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Imagine if Fox ever made this mistake..
    Did you see the entire Rachel Jenteal interview on Piers Morgan? She dropped the N-bomb a couple dozen times. No bleeps.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Did you see the entire Rachel Jenteal interview on Piers Morgan? She dropped the N-bomb a couple dozen times. No bleeps.
    She one of the new modern Peeps ain't no thing but a chicken wing..

Since the trial ended 4 more young black men were killed in Chicago but they were killed by other blacks so it's not news..
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    More concerning is the highly educated black people who do not acknowledge this. My black clients are all lock step believing this is racism as does Holder.

I , maybe wrong, believe that Zimmerman is not a racist. He seemes VARY calm on 911 and never mentioned Travons race until he was asked.
    I hear this point made all the time, and I won't say it's not valid to a degree. BUT, people are missing one key element here:

In how many cases of those black-on-black crimes are the perpetrators set free? Black guy kills black guy...if he gets caught, guess what? He's going straight to jail. Do not pass Go. As it should be.

If Zimmerman was black, this story would not have been news. Why? Because the black Zimmerman would have been arrested immediately. The black Zimmerman wouldn't have gotten hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of his defense. The black Zimmerman wouldn't have found a jury that sympathized with his perspective. The black Zimmerman would have been tried and convicted in a matter of months. OJ is the lone exception to the above.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Black-on-black crimes, while deplorable (as is all crime) typically don't have a side that comes out "victorious." You have a victim, and a perpetrator that is subsequently punished. In this case, you have a victim, but the perpetrator has gone free (as he should have, legally).

Right or wrong, people are going to feel a certain way about what is viewed as an inequity in the system. It's not Zimmerman's fault that he's legally innocent, and had the resources to produce/preserve that verdict. But it's why many believe there is a racist element at play, and that if the skin colors were reversed here, there's no way the black Zimmerman walks after killing a white teenager.

Even OJ would have been fried for that.

Bad timing for my last response I guess...what a terrible blog from the Columbia professor.

GFY lady. Thanks for driving the wedge in deeper, you stupid *****.

Eight days to training camp.

Thank all the correct Gods.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I hear this point made all the time, and I won't say it's not valid to a degree. BUT, people are missing one key element here:

In how many cases of those black-on-black crimes are the perpetrators set free? Black guy kills black guy...if he gets caught, guess what? He's going straight to jail. Do not pass Go. As it should be.

If Zimmerman was black, this story would not have been news. Why? Because the black Zimmerman would have been arrested immediately. The black Zimmerman wouldn't have gotten hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of his defense. The black Zimmerman wouldn't have found a jury that sympathized with his perspective. The black Zimmerman would have been tried and convicted in a matter of months. OJ is the lone exception to the above.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Black-on-black crimes, while deplorable (as is all crime) typically don't have a side that comes out "victorious." You have a victim, and a perpetrator that is subsequently punished. In this case, you have a victim, but the perpetrator has gone free (as he should have, legally).

Right or wrong, people are going to feel a certain way about what is viewed as an inequity in the system. It's not Zimmerman's fault that he's legally innocent, and had the resources to produce/preserve that verdict. But it's why many believe there is a racist element at play, and that if the skin colors were reversed here, there's no way the black Zimmerman walks after killing a white teenager.

In most of those murders the perp is never caught but Zimmerman was news the minute it happened.. At first the media thought they had a double treat a white Jewish guy..

In most of those murders the perp is never caught but Zimmerman was news the minute it happened.. At first the media thought they had a double treat a white Jewish guy..
    Also, it's an absolute fantasy that "black people don't get off", i.e. they're never not arrested, never supported with legal aid funds, never supported by celebrity "let him go" squads, never let loose on limited evidendce, never let loose on technicallities, never let loose on self-defense, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Absolute, propaganda fantasy, typical "if we never talk about it, it never happens, so we can keep complaining" bollocks.

Kinda like "profiling". The idea that white, poor kids don't get "profiled" is also an absolute fantasy.

Wake up call: Well to do folks in well to do neighborhoods don't trust scraggy kids who look like they might rob them. Black. White. Hispanic. Asian. Period. I'll cross the street from any and all of them if I'm walking at night and don't get thr right vibe. Not because I'm a racist, because I have common sense and know kids do just that kind of thing, because I've been the victim of it (a nice mixed race group of blacks, hispanics and one whitey in my own case) and because I've been profiled myself for looking ragged, poor and questionable in my own youth (and I'm as pasty white as they come).
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.

The assumptions in this post are absurd. If Z was black, white or white hispanic, or black causasion or red or a pink scottsman he would have gotten off. The reason being the facts of the case point to self defense. The forensic evidence alongside eyewitness testimony confirmed Z's version of events. If you want to choose to believe that 6 random women chosen for a jury all happened to be racists that is your prerogative. I feel sorry for you if you think that way.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 07-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Also, it's an absolute fantasy that "black people don't get off", i.e. they're never not arrested, never supported with legal aid funds, never supported by celebrity "let him go" squads, never let loose on limited evidendce, never let loose on technicallities, never let loose on self-defense, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Absolute, propaganda fantasy, typical "if we never talk about it, it never happens, so we can keep complaining" bollocks.

Kinda like "profiling". The idea that white, poor kids don't get "profiled" is also an absolute fantasy.

Wake up call: Well to do folks in well to do neighborhoods don't trust scraggy kids who look like they might rob them. Black. White. Hispanic. Asian. Period. I'll cross the street from any and all of them if I'm walking at night and don't get thr right vibe. Not because I'm a racist, because I have common sense and know kids do just that kind of thing, because I've been the victim of it (a nice mixed race group of blacks, hispanics and one whitey in my own case) and because I've been profiled myself for looking ragged, poor and questionable in my own youth (and I'm as pasty white as they come).
    Even Jesse Jackson is a racist.. Jesse Jackson said a few years ago, “There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

FYI just to further disprove this ridiculous post:

African Americans benefit from Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” self-defense law at a rate far out of proportion to their presence in the state’s population, despite an assertion by Attorney General Eric Holder that repealing “Stand Your Ground” would help African Americans.

Black Floridians have made about a third of the state’s total “Stand Your Ground” claims in homicide cases, a rate nearly double the black percentage of Florida’s population. The majority of those claims have been successful, a success rate that exceeds that for Florida whites.

Nonetheless, prominent African Americans including Holder and “Ebony and Ivory” singer Stevie Wonder, who has vowed not to perform in the Sunshine State until the law is revoked, have made “Stand Your Ground” a central part of the Trayvon Martin controversy.

Ads by Google

Holder, who was pressured by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and other progressive groups to open a civil rights case against acquitted neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in the 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Martin, criticized Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” self-defense law in a speech Tuesday before the NAACP.

The law was not invoked by Zimmerman’s defense team but was included in instructions to the jury.

“We must confront the underlying attitudes, the mistaken beliefs and the unfortunate stereotypes that serve too often as the basis for police action and private judgments. Separate and apart from the case that has drawn the nation’s attention, it’s time to question laws that senselessly expand the concept of self-defense and sow dangerous conflict in our neighborhood,” Holder said to applause in his speech before the NAACP Tuesday.

“These laws try to fix something that was never broken. There has always been a legal defense for using deadly force if — and the ‘if’ is important — if no safe retreat is available. But we must examine laws that take this further by eliminating the common-sense and age-old requirement that people who feel threatened have a duty to retreat, outside their home, if they can do so safely. By allowing and perhaps encouraging violent situations to escalate in public, such laws undermine public safety,” Holder said.

“The list of resulting tragedies is long and, unfortunately, has victimized too many who are innocent. It is our collective obligation; we must stand OUR ground to ensure — (cheers, applause, music) — we must stand our ground to ensure that our laws reduce violence, and take a hard look at laws that contribute to more violence than they prevent,” Holder said.

Ads by Google

But approximately one third of Florida “Stand Your Ground” claims in fatal cases have been made by black defendants, and they have used the defense successfully 55 percent of the time, at the same rate as the population at large and at a higher rate than white defendants, according to a Daily Caller analysis of a database maintained by the Tampa Bay Times. Additionally, the majority of victims in Florida “Stand Your Ground” cases have been white.

African Americans used “Stand Your Ground” defenses at nearly twice the rate of their presence in the Florida population, which was listed at 16.6 percent in 2012.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/bl...#ixzz2ZJvG8B4g

Scarborough is dead on.

George Zimmerman trial expands deep divide
    By: Joe Scarborough
    July 14, 2013 03:23 PM EDT

The Trayvon Martin case highlights more than the flaws of Florida law or the inadequacies of courtroom justice. It also paints in vivid display the vulgar state of American political culture.

Within seconds of Saturday night’s verdict exonerating George Zimmerman, liberals and conservatives scurried to their shabby political corners and began tweeting hyperbolic political pronouncements on a judicial process that few of them knew anything about.

Liberals launched anguished attacks against George Zimmerman, the state of Florida, stand-your-ground laws, the gun culture, and the current state of racial relations in America in under 140 characters. Some conservatives used the opportunity to gloat and continue their attacks against Al Sharpton, the national media, racial politics, American liberalism, and a dead teenager.

The entire spectacle was repulsive.

The Zimmerman verdict showed just how politicized every speck of American life has become for a hyper-partisan political class that has little in common with most Americans. In fact, they are probably why most Americans hate politics.

How exactly was it that liberals and conservatives could so neatly line up on opposite sides of a troubling courtroom trial involving a Hispanic man and an African-American teenager?

And how could one side unanimously proclaim the verdict a victory for courtroom justice while the other side immediately declared the verdict a defeat for racial tolerance?

There has to be a liberal somewhere in America (who is paid to express his viewpoints) who understands that the prosecution had a difficult burden to carry in the trial, just as there must be a conservative who is deeply troubled by the of events of this case.

If it seems like I am taking a removed, middle-ground approach on this trial, let me assure you that I am not.

I am angry that George Zimmerman could chase a teenager through his neighborhood, ignore a dispatcher’s pleas, make racially charged statements, provoke a confrontation with a young man armed only with Skittles, and pull the trigger that ended that teenager’s life, only to walk away without as much as a misdemeanor attached to his name. But I also know that the laws of Florida favored the defense, that the prosecution overreached in its efforts to convict Zimmerman on a second-degree murder charge, and that we will never know which man was screaming for help in the moments that George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin. I also know that it is a fool’s errand to second-guess the conclusions of a jury that sat through countless hours of testimony and evidence before reaching a verdict.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t draw my own personal conclusions, like my belief that George Zimmerman is a racist idiot who chased an unarmed teenager through a neighborhood for little reason more than he was a black man wearing a hoodie. I can also conclude that many conservative commentators were offensive in their reflexive defense of Zimmerman, as well as their efforts to attack the integrity of a dead black teenager. I am also not sure how it is that the right-wing’s professional chattering classes usually find themselves on the other side of African-Americans in racially sensitive cases.

I do not remotely suggest that all conservatives opposed Zimmerman’s trial. The National Review’s Rich Lowry agreed with a handful of conservatives like myself that Trayvon Martin’s killer should be tried in a court of law. But I remained confused by a political party that desperately tries to expand its minority outreach by considering the granting of citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants while refusing to even give the benefit of the doubt to a young black man gunned down for no good reason in a suburban Florida neighborhood. I just don’t get it.

What I do get is why over 90 percent of African American voters have been voting against GOP presidential candidates for most of my life. Conservative commentary and GOP stand-your-ground laws only exacerbated that divide. If Republicans are to take back the White House anytime in the next generation, that reality has to change. After this week, it has definitely become a longer, harder slog.

© 2013 POLITICO LLC

Define "Most" . Because areas around here "most"of the time they are caught.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 07-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I am angry that George Zimmerman could chase a teenager through his neighborhood, ignore a dispatcher’s pleas, make racially charged statements, provoke a confrontation with a young man armed only with Skittles, and pull the trigger that ended that teenager’s life, only to walk away without as much as a misdemeanor attached to his name. But I also know that the laws of Florida favored the defense, that the prosecution overreached in its efforts to convict Zimmerman on a second-degree murder charge, and that we will never know which man was screaming for help in the moments that George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin. I also know that it is a fool’s errand to second-guess the conclusions of a jury that sat through countless hours of testimony and evidence before reaching a verdict.
    The irony. He criticizes people for using hyperbole on Twitter and then writes this. Not one word of the emboldened is accurate.

There is no proof Zimmerman "chased" anybody. The dispatacher never "pleaded" anything. The concept of provocation is clearly defined in the law and following someone does not constitute it in Florida. A world renowned forensic scientist told us that Martin used the sidewalk as a weapon. And worst of all is the claim that Zimmerman used racially charged statements. Someone please show me these "racially charged statements".

He is guilty of the same things he is bashing others for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Scarborough is dead on.
    I am angry that George Zimmerman could chase a teenager through his neighborhood, ignore a dispatcher’s pleas, make racially charged statements, provoke a confrontation with a young man armed only with Skittles, and pull the trigger that ended that teenager’s life.
    You mean dead wrong.. He didn't chase Travon through 'his' neighborhood Travon lived in the miami area.. Of course Travons beating on Z had nothing to do with him getting shot..The only racial statments made was Travon calling Z a creepy ass cracker..You must be very liberal and very young..

Hall Of Fame
    You mean dead wrong.. He didn't chase Travon through 'his' neighborhood Travon lived in the miami area.. Of course Travons beating on Z had nothing to do with him getting shot..The only racial statments made was Travon calling Z a creepy ass cracker..You must be very liberal and very young..

You beat me to it.

Unreal how some people are trying to sell that sh*t.

Scarborough is dead on.

The Trayvon Martin case highlights more than the flaws of Florida law or the inadequacies of courtroom justice.
    So right off, the law is crap and the Justice System inadequate....because he disagrees with it.

It also paints in vivid display the vulgar state of American political culture.
    Of which Scarsborough is a well-paid professional media member.

Within seconds of Saturday night’s verdict exonerating George Zimmerman, liberals and conservatives scurried to their shabby political corners
    Because a fundamental disagreement between right and left is over gun rights, self defense rights and racial politics.

The entire spectacle was repulsive.
    Because his side lost. Zimmerman gets convicted, this is a VERY different Op-Ed piece.

How exactly was it that liberals and conservatives could so neatly line up on opposite sides of a troubling courtroom trial involving a Hispanic man
    Mr. Scarsborough should know better. Zimmerman is a White Hispanic who Self-Identifies as Hispanic.

And how could one side unanimously proclaim the verdict a victory for courtroom justice while the other side immediately declared the verdict a defeat for racial tolerance?
    Because one side belives in self-defense, and one side belives every non-black is inherantly a racist black-hating-n-hunting murdering pig.

I am angry that George Zimmerman could chase a teenager through his neighborhood
    Following someone on a public street is 100% legal. Unless he wants to change teh Law on that, he's blowing bull**** smoke here.

ignore a dispatcher’s pleas
    There was no "plea". There was a standard-issue liabillity-prevention one-liner with no specific intent, as the dispatcher himself testified.

make racially charged statements
    What racially charges statement? "Creepy Cracker" maybe?

Or does he mean the doctored yet still believd 911 call tape?

provoke a confrontation with a young man armed only with Skittles
    No evidence Z. provoked it, plenty of evidence that M. eluded Z. then circled round and jumped him then beat him up.

and pull the trigger that ended that teenager’s life
    In self-defense and without an abillity to flee.

, only to walk away without as much as a misdemeanor attached to his name.
    Because he didn't commit a crime.

....my own personal conclusions, like my belief that George Zimmerman is a racist idiot who chased an unarmed teenager through a neighborhood for little reason more than he was a black man wearing a hoodie.
    Ho. Le. Sh. It.

In teh very same piece where Scarslols lectures us all about divissiveness, he basicly echoes the entire liberal progressive "RACISM RACISM RACISM!" talking points, in the face of all the evidence that it's total fabrication.

I can also conclude that many conservative commentators were offensive in their reflexive defense of Zimmerman
    Then he makes sure, while lecturing us all on the evils of political divissiveness, to get his shots in at his "fellow" conservatives....for being right under the law.

I am also not sure how it is that the right-wing’s professional chattering classes usually find themselves on the other side of African-Americans in racially sensitive cases.
    Probably because we don't simply agree that all whites are racist pigs who like hunting down and killing black people.

I just don’t get it.
    Clearly.

TLDR: Liberal "Conservative" berares everyone for political divissiveness, then turns around and takes 100% the liberal progressive viewpoint and denounces/demeans the entire other side as stupid racist ignorant pigs, despite hehimself (scarslol) being almost completely wrong in every assertion he made, based ont he evidence of the case.

Ladies and gentlemen, Joe Scarsborough. He "gets it".